Thread: Whospotting

Oh! I knew I recognised her**, thanks Dave. Not to mention Hugh Quarshie, who turned up near the end. And Tamsin Grieg as the mother.

**Her face, that is, I recognised her face.

When's the DVD coming out...?

We're a bit behind with Upstairs Downstairs, but it's worth mentioning that in the episode we watched last night, River Song (Alex Kingston) teamed up with Braxiatel (Miles Richardson) to save Jewish children from Nazi Germany.

The most intriguing thing about the new series of Upstairs Downstairs is that Alex Kingston is playing exactly the same character as she did in Doctor Who. The only thing they've dropped is the gun-totting.

Downstairs they've got Anne Reid as the cook, but they haven't realised she's a Plasmavore yet.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

They haven't realised that she has an identical twin sister who works as a nurse to the brilliant Dr Judson up north somewhere either...

Yesterday I spotted... oh flip, I can never remember his name, but the Scots actor (Bill... something?) who I first saw as 'the bad guy' in the second series of Auf Wiedersehen Pet, but who was (more relevantly to this thread) the robot (Bracewell?) in Victory of the Daleks back in 2010. He was in the second, rather good, episode of Dirk Gently on BBC4.

Also, rather more tenuously perhaps, I heard a bit of Puccini's Madame Butterfly playing on the radio out on the shop floor yesterday afternoon. Obviously, it was the bit they used in the TV Movie otherwise I would not have recognised it!! But it did make me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    We're a bit behind with Upstairs Downstairs, but it's worth mentioning that in the episode we watched last night, River Song (Alex Kingston) teamed up with Braxiatel (Miles Richardson) to save Jewish children from Nazi Germany.

The most intriguing thing about the new series of Upstairs Downstairs is that Alex Kingston is playing exactly the same character as she did in Doctor Who. The only thing they've dropped is the gun-totting.

Downstairs they've got Anne Reid as the cook, but they haven't realised she's a Plasmavore yet.
    I thought I'd already mentioned Miles Richardson sharing scenes with Ms Kingston in the TV forum but I obviously dreamt that. This is getting worrying regular.

In other news I watched the whole of the one show last night. Aside from a fleeting reference at the beginning virtually nothing was said of Paul McGann possibly returning as the Doctor. Now at least I understand why Professor Bonham shot Cilla Black who was sharing the One Show sofa with Doctor 8.

Meanwhile I'm now listening to Graham Norton on Radio 2 where Lalla Ward will hopefully be shortly making an appearance...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Yesterday I spotted... oh flip, I can never remember his name, but the Scots actor (Bill... something?) who I first saw as 'the bad guy' in the second series of Auf Wiedersehen Pet, but who was (more relevantly to this thread) the robot (Bracewell?) in Victory of the Daleks back in 2010. He was in the second, rather good, episode of Dirk Gently on BBC4.
    Bill Paterson. Write it down now so that you don't forget!

I've written it down on a piece of paper, thanks Mr Wallis. Now where did I put it...?

Elsewhen, in part 2 of White Heat, as well as the suspects above, I also spotted Tyssen from Destiny of the Daleks.

Watching the docu on the first Robin of Sherwood DVD , I was delighted to learn that the crew were trained in swordfighting, archery, horse riding and general derring-do by none other than Terry Walsh

(and once again he was responsible for arranging a rescue when Michael Praed nearly drowned !!)
    Bazinga !

We screamed the house down when Kate O'Mara popped up in Benidorm last night. She looked good but she sounded like Billie in The Stolen Earth. Has she had a minor stroke or got I'll fitting false teeth?

In yesterday morning's Upstairs Downstairs we had Clive Morton (Trenchard in The Sea Devils), Simon Williams, and Antony Ainley!! Not to mention David Langton who was famously not in The Web of Fear.

Although I did wonder, how come classic Who never got Gordon Jackson and Richard Vernon (who also appeared yesterday)!

Gordon might have made a good Doctor.

We may very well have had our first Doctor Who spot on Mad Men last night! William Morgan Sheppard who played Dame Canton Everett Delaware III the Elder turned up playing an Englishman, Lane Pryce's father. And he was a real nasty piece of work too!

W Morgan Sheppard now links Star Trek, Babylon 5, Doctor Who and even SeaQuest DSV.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

So which Coronation Street viewers DIDN'T spot that Leslie, currently at the centre of the soap's Alzheimers plot, was in Doctor Who? Playing a companion's Mum, no less!

Yes, she played Adam's mum in "The Long Game"! I can totally picture her now!

Si.

I think I did realise but then forgot as I don't watch Corrie that often. It would be interesting if Bruno made one of his occasional returns as Todd whilst she's still around. You can just imagine her and Eileen Grimshaw fighting over which one of them's really his mother!

Talking of Corrie, I gather that Derek Jacobi visited the set recently and agreed to film a cameo appearance as an extra.

I was helping some kids in music today and the keyboard sound they had chosen sounded just like early 80s Radiophonic Workshop - Howell or Limb, I'd say.

Of course, I didn't mention this to them.

Yes, you get enough funny looks as it is...

Kevin "Hugo Lang" McNally was squaring up to Ted Danson in last night's CSI
    Bazinga !

Nicola Bryant seems to know that Nurofen Express is a rapid way of getting rid of your headache (but not your idiot of a husband).
    Bazinga !

Well, idiot husbands are good for headaches in the same way that dropping a paving stone on your foot is good for a broken toe...

Brighton beach appeared behind Carol the weather lady on this morning's Breakfast Time, does that count...?

Only if it was overcast, with a long, long panning shot of beach huts.

Last night we watched The Avengers - The Bird Who Knew Too Much, which featured potential Doctor Who Ron Moody, dead detective Kenneth Cope and Special Space Service Siren, Ilona Rogers from The Sensorites!

I heard Francis Barber on Classic FM complaining about how TV/Movies are too fake with all the plastic surgery being done on actors...& admitting that she is part of the problem as she has had work done.

Dominic Sandbrook's excellent series 'The 70s' last week illustrated the miners' strike of 1973 with a clip from 'The Monster of Peladon', suggesting that the miners even had 'intergalactic support'.

Spotted on the second-ever episode of Brittas - Declan Mulholland (Andoids Of Tara) stoking the boiler of Whitbury Leisure Centre.