Thread: Whospotting

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    I have the same problem with all the Doctors...I thought it was just me.

Tim, you're not the world's only trans-

Shouldn't have said that, Harry...

Having been given the first season boxset for Christmas, I watched the first ep' of Blakes 7 this morning. It's probably no surprise that a late-70s BBC sci-fi show is dipping into the same pool as Doctor Who, and I'm sure I've missed some, but I spotted:

Gareth Thomas (BF's Storm Warning)
    Sally Knyvette (BF's Spare Parts - plus she was married to Joe Sugden (Frazer Hines) in Emmerdale Farm for a while)
    Michael Keating (The Sun Makers, and I think he was in a McGann BF, the one with a big cave mouth on the cover...?)
    Robert Beatty (from The Tenth Planet)
    Jeremy Wilkin (everybody's favourite gold-obsessed double-agent from Revenge of the Cybermen)
    Margaret John (Fury from the Deep and The Idiot's Lantern, not to mention a recurring role in Crossroads back in the day!!)

Not to mention a whole raft of names behind-the-scenes, from Terry Nation & Chris Boucher, through Dudley Simpson & Michael Briant, as well as David Maloney.

And, although not a whospot, I was also amused to see 'reporter Howard Harvey' (from Eagle's Doomlord photostrip) sat on the spaceship right behind Jenna at the end. Actually, that may sort of count as a whospot because I'm pretty sure he also appeared in (at least) Resurrection of the Daleks, as the soldier attacked by the Dalek mutant. And on a similar 'looking forward' note, the Federation Troop outfits (still looking good today) popped up of course in/on Frontios!!

We watched the Box of Delights yesterday & apart from the obvious Pat Troughton there was an audio appearance by Roger Limb & the R.W. Which I'd completely failed to notice before.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Michael Keating (The Sun Makers, and I think he was in a McGann BF, the one with a big cave mouth on the cover...?)
    He was, The Twilight Kingdom. He was also in The Year Of The Pig with Colin Baker, and has recorded The Evil One, with Tom Baker, for release next year.

There's also

Robert James (The Power Of The Daleks and The Masque Of Mandragora)
    Alan Butler (The Talons of Weng Chiang)
    Nigel Lambert (The Leisure Hive)

Quote Originally Posted by Logo Polish View Post
    and has recorded The Evil One
    Why noone invited me...

I felt certain I wouldn't 'spot' them all - thanks Logo!

A rather odd on, this, considering... If anyone knows anything about the man who was just in Loughton library looking up Marvel US Doctor Who mags on eBay confess. Now would be a good time to save this man's life next time The Lads run riot...

Not sure if this counts; David Bradley was on Celebrity Mastermind this evening.

Matt Smith, David Tennant and John Hurt, in a tv ad for Google.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

David Tennant voice over on Earthflight this morning...and presumable every morning that shows an episode.

B7 episode 2 today, and a few more people popping up - Leslie Schofield and Glyn Owen, and of course Paul Darrow makes his first appearance. Plus a director credit for Pennant Roberts.

I also spotted what looked suspiciously like one of those wall panels from part 4 of Pyramids of Mars, pretending to be a clipboard - and was that the rolling planet from part 4 of Revenge of the Cybermen that the London went past early in the episode?

Spotting them in Blakes 7 is too much like shooting fish in a barrel (or in the case of this week's viewing, a Brian Blessed & Pamela Salem- shaped barrel (also, why has David Ryall not been in Doctor Who on TV yet??); but today's Babylon 5 gave me an unexpected David Warner, and a Jim Norton who was (I think) the Brigadier-equivalent in Scream of the Shalka.

Also spotted David Morrissey & Sheridan Smith in the 7:39. Very spotty here this weekend!!

Keep off the chocolate then!

Badumtish!

This morning I spotted the Nunton Power Complex from The Hand of Fear, posing as the Federation Communication Nerve Centre Base Thingummy in Blakes 7 (Time-Squad).

Government cuts again...

And this week we had Richard Beale (Bat Masterson in The Gunfighters) along with Miles Fothergill (SV7!!). For that matter, we also had a web floating in space which is also a bit familiar...

And this afternoon we watched "Decoy Bride" featuring some bloke called David Tennant.

Deep Roy was one of the Decimas too!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I should have guessed that shouldn't I! They were rather impressive smashing up the set at the end, weren't they.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undermind_(TV_series) Undermind!

Stars Jeremy (Revenge of The Cybermen) Wilkin, with loads of other Who stars turning up from Michael Gough to Peter Barkworth. And Arthur Fowler from Eastenders in a tiny bit-part!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I know he wasn't in DW, but we took some Year 10s to a poetry event at Birmingham Symphony Hall today, and at lunchtime we went to a cafe where, sat on the table next to us, was none other than Stephen 'Travis Series 1' Greif! I think he noticed me doing a double-take as he was returning to his table with his food, which was - if you're interested - a curry with two HUGE poppadoms.

How exciting, I wonder how strong his curry was. Could have been Maximum Power?

I had an email at work yesterday, and I noticed that the customer had copied in some of his colleagues. One of them was called John Manly - which surely the Vervoid has definitively established as the full name of 'the man John' from The Sensorites?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    How exciting, I wonder how strong his curry was. Could have been Maximum Power?
    I'm sure I heard him whispering to the curry, 'I am your death'.

I'm also absolutely certain that I was the only one of my colleagues to recognise Travis from serie one of 'Blake's 7' sat opposite us.

One of them was called John Manly - which surely the Vervoid has definitively established as the full name of 'the man John' from The Sensorites?
    I hope so - and can there possibly be a name more masculine than 'John Manly'? I think not!

I watched an episode of Undermind (very cultish 1960's TV show about sinister brainwashed individuals trying to overthrow society) last night that featured Alydon from the first Dalek Movie and Dortmund from the second!

There's a bevvy of Doctor Who stars in there, from Michael Gough to Philip Latham, Peter Barkworth and that-guy-who-played-Lesterson. The lead role is played by Jeremy Wilkin, who was Kellman in Revenge of the Cybermen. (Hope I've spelled those names right...)
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Jeremy Wilkin sounds like a character name from The Avengers...