Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dr Who : The Video Game

I'm surprised that we haven't had a Dr Who video game based on the new series yet.
    If they were going to make one though what type of game would it be and what sot of thing would you have to do?

based on the new series then it would certainly be a Dalek or Cybermen game..

Pip Madeley Guest

From what I recall, they did plan a Doctor Who video game (for PS2 and similar consoles), but Eccleston's departure put a massive spanner in the works, and it was shelved.

Can't vouch for the truth of this, but I heard it somewhere.

I'd love to see a console game come out featuring the plot themes from the episodes that have been shown.

why don't the BBC just adapt some of the games on their web site and put them on general sale..

That would be the tempting thing, wouldn't it? I have to say, I really enjoyed the little K-9 game for the graphics, although the actual game itself was a little poor. But it was great to have K-9 involved in all the Doctor's adventures on New Earth, and in Downing Street, as well as blasting Auton Mickey!

You couldn't really have a shoot-em-up Doctor Who game, it would go against the ethos of the show slightly. What might be better is an adventure game where you play the Doctor's plucky young companion, getting involved in various set pieces and adventures. If they seriously released one, it would probably be aimed at a younger audience anyway.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I've never understood why a format of entertainment that pioneered the concept of the main character having multiple "lives" hasn't done Doctor Who, with the Doctor regenerating each time the player is "killed". Furthermore, Doctor Who would be ideally suited to a 'pick up and drop' style adventure game, the TARDIS being used to travel between different time zones as the levels. I would LOVE that but it's never happened. The one decent stab at a Doctor Who computer game and what did they do? A shoot-up 'em! Is there any genre more anti the main principles of Doctor Who than one that involves blindly shooting everything?

Arghhh!

Si.

A Dr Who Video Game would be nice and we're long over due Dr who Monopoly too. "You have won 2nd prize in a Davros lookie likie contest. Collect 1000 Grotsits."
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Go to Shada - do not pass Go, do not collect 200 grotzits.

The idea of regenerating the Doctor was used on a text-based adventure game for the Spectrum back in the mists of time. The idea was to collect five parts of the Key to Time (it never explained where the sixth was), and along the way you could be shot by a Dalek or - ahem! - attacked by a Cybermen, or by a robot guarding a Sensorite temple. There were only six lives as Colin was the Doctor then, but if you had a mirror and typed "look in mirror" it gave you a description of the current regeneration you were in. When you died, you got a description of floating on a cloud in the Matrix, and rejoined the game when you typed "regenerate". Those were the days.

I wonder whether regenerating the Doctor in an X-box game or whatever these days would be practical though - if only for the programmers complaining about doing ten lots of graphics for the Doctor, and having go get ten lots of likeness clearance. Fun idea though.

WhiteCrow Guest

Did anyone ever play the Doom based Doctor Who game - something like "Doctor in Distress" or something? Wasn't too good alas.

Anybody here played Destiny of the Doctors? Used to have a copy yonks ago but I'm fairly sure my ex "borrowed" it 2 years ago and never returned it...
    "I remember because cherries send me into a wild fury!"

I got hold of a copy of Dest O'Docs a year or two ago. Although the game itself was nothing that special, having the CD allows you to pull out all the sound files (*.wavs) and movie files that you can play with Apple Quick Time. So we've watched all the lovely Anthony Ainley cut scenes and we've got some great sound files of the Master saying "Hmhmhm. Hohhohoh. HAHAHAHHA!!!!"

It also features the poor actors who had to impersonate Troughton and Hartnell. Ouch!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

"Y-Y-Y-Yeti!!!!"

The poor soul impersonating Hartnell was actually Gary Russell!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I managed to rent the library's copy before it was nicked. It was a really difficult game

Trudi G Guest

DALEKS, lots and lots of DALEKS, and a spinning TARDIS .....i know that'd keep my little boy happy, lol!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trudi G View Post
    DALEKS, lots and lots of DALEKS, and a spinning TARDIS .....i know that'd keep my little boy happy, lol!
    What about Christian?

Somebody on OG is apparently developing a video game (this is different than the one I had a thread about at the old site) and there is a demo you can download. Supposedly it has early 90's graphics, and is a Lucasarts style point and click adventure game - I've not had a chance to download it yet so I don't know if its any good. I think Bus posted on OG that he played it so maybe he can say more?

http://new.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=26026.0

Here's another link someone has recently put up:

http://www.geocities.com/krisinyork/TIMELORD.swf

If nothing else, these links will be handy for me when I'm ready to download them at home so I won't have to search with my slow connection.
    Last edited by Jeff; 5th Jan 2007 at 9:12 PM.

Here's the "The Five Doctors" game I mentioned earlier that had it's own thread on the old PS:

http://www.geocities.com/fivedoctorsgame/download.html

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Here's another link someone has recently put up:

http://www.geocities.com/krisinyork/TIMELORD.swf
    What exactly is that?

It said it was a game called "The Life of a Time Lord". I just now looked at it, and from what I can tell you just click 'advance' and read what it says. I guess it randomly creates a 'life' for you and you read your Timelord autobiography or something. So more of a mini-game than an actual video game. I guess.

transvamp Guest

My inner child would love to see them revamp Dalek Attack for the PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Somebody on OG is apparently developing a video game (this is different than the one I had a thread about at the old site) and there is a demo you can download. Supposedly it has early 90's graphics, and is a Lucasarts style point and click adventure game - I've not had a chance to download it yet so I don't know if its any good. I think Bus posted on OG that he played it so maybe he can say more?

http://new.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=26026.0
    Nope, never played that one. There was another game somebody made once which I tried to download but I couldn't get it to work...

Pip Madeley Guest

I tried to play one once, called Return To Karn or somesuch. A text based game. I gave up after about ten minutes...