Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dave sounds a bit like Dick van Dyke!

WhiteCrow Guest

It does sound a little tinny on my laptop - but by heck it sounds like if might just raise the bar of PS audios again.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    Dave sounds a bit like Dick van Dyke!
    And they wouldn't even let me sing 'Chim-Chim-Chimmery'! Bastards!

It is kinda strange though that you have genuine southerners in your ranks, & you're trying to get a northerner to do a London(?) accent....... (Sorry Dave)
    I think a factor is that Steve and Dave have served us so well as Rob and Nick that we want to give them a chance to do something different, and these 'non Who-eys' give them that chance. But part of that means trying different kinds of voices for them, so it doesn't just sound like one or other of the Doctors companions 'under cover'. Expect Steve to similarly pop up in a Doctor Who audio next year... and not as Rob!

Si.

Wayne Guest

Ah fair enough, i see your point. I never thought of that!

I wouldn't worry too much about the volume, there's very little music in the actual story. We just needed something funky for the trailer!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I just heard the trailer and I think it is fantastic, I can't wait for the full adventure.

UNKNOWN VARIABLES

Now available for download!

Right click on the links below and select 'Save Target As...' (or 'Save Linked Content As...') Save the MP3 files somewhere useful. Fire up your mp3 player or Windows Media Player, then sit back and enjoy!

PART ONE

PART TWO

PART THREE

Starring:
    Governor Luke Harrington - Si Hunt
    Commander Frank Rawl - Mike Talks
    Engineer Rick Coombes - Dave Tudor
    Computer Voice (Kerberus) - Ant Cox

Written and produced by Steven Alexander.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

WhiteCrow Guest

Surely this deserves a banner!

Maybe - I was going to put some images together but things have been pretty hectic. I know Pip doesn't have time to do it either atm.

WhiteCrow Guest

I've only listened to part one so far. I dunno - my voice was my natural voice, and it sounds very Brummie to me - I'm a bit shocked. What did you do to it Rob!

I have to say the other voice tallent is good - I especially like Ant Cox's Kerberus.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Maybe - I was going to put some images together but things have been pretty hectic. I know Pip doesn't have time to do it either atm.
    I wish you'd mentioned - I could have tried something. I'm in Liverpool at the moment, away from any decent tech.

I'll be saving it to listen to on the train this Monday - looking forward to hearing it!

Just listened to the whole story.

It's very good, and makes perfect sense now all the bits have been edited together. I love the atmosphere of this one - very quiet, a bit like Kubrick's 2001.

I was a bit wary about the whole American accent thing but I think Si pulls it off well (oo, er!). I know this will sound a bit big-headed but I think the casting was very good for this story - everyone has a very distinct voice, both accent-wise and texture-wise.

Well done to everyone involved, especially Steve for writing such an interesting story. In fact I think you should write some more sci-fi stories - you're very good at it...

Surely this deserves a banner!
    The reason why there isn't one is very simple - Pip is doing the production on our next audio story, due on-line in just three weeks time, so he's busy doing that. In fact, getting the two new stories finished in time is all our priority, so we didn't even ask

Si.

I thougth it was very atmsopheric.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Well done to everyone involved, especially Steve for writing such an interesting story. In fact I think you should write some more sci-fi stories - you're very good at it...
    Hee hee! Thanks very much. I don't know everything about sci-fi, but I know what I like! This story was written very much to please me, so if anyone else enjoys it that's a bonus

Unknown Variables was written to capture a particular mood, that odd in-between feeling that pervades Solaris and the start of Alien. I hope that comes across in the finished production.

Wayne Guest

I should have chance to give this a proper listen to this tomorrow.

Oh sorry, were we missing a groovy picture?

I think that's fairly groovy.

Wayne Guest

Sorry to be late, but i've just got around to listening to this.
    Very good stuff! I found it very easy to listen to, & the whole atmosphere of it sounded very realistic, i thought.
    I have to own up & say that i did found the accents a bit distracting at times, but it didn't stop me enjoying the story. I reckon having got used to the accents by the end of the story, i won't notice them as much when i come to listen to it again.

Having read back what i've just written, it sounds like i'm trying not to say that the accents were rubbish, But i don't mean it like that honest! Si's American accent was largely fine. I've certainly heard a lot worse American accents in BF Audios, & things like 'Tomb of the Cybermen'.
    Perhaps the issue of accents just brings back bad memories Uncle Barney & his Australian/Texan/Dorset accent.
    Nice little story anyway!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Oh sorry, were we missing a groovy picture?

I think that's fairly groovy.
    Thats perfect - makes it looks like the kind of thing Radio 4 would release to complement Star Cops.

It seems a shame to break with tradition.

Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Wayne Guest

@Lissa

WhiteCrow Guest

Wow - well I've finished listening to the whole thing now.

I think Si Hunts accent was all good in there. Apart from Si, there wasn't really any accents in use - mainly they were our normal voices!

The spacewalk sequence worked remarkably well, really atmospheric and dramatic.

When we were recording this I had concerns about the mystery and how it was revealed. Listening to it, it makes a lot more sense than it did to me on the recording day.

I'm going to make this minor critisism - I think with the mystery, it felt like there should have been a few more clues threaded through earlier. And I do feel like maybe there was something missing from the resolution.

But overall a superb audio - the script really used the setting and small cast to excellent effect. It felt "right" as an audio and not limited for being an audio. Reminded me of the old BBC sci-fi plays like Earthsearch and I think Journey Into Space.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Apart from Si, there wasn't really any accents in use - mainly they were our normal voices!
    You don't know Dave Tudor that well do you?