Thread: Season 23a

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Culley View Post
    Having read Mission to Magnus and The Ultimate Evil, I think we're very lucky the season never got made!

not sure you can say that it dose not always follow that a poor book will mean the film/tv version will be bad.

Pip Madeley Guest

Ian Levine's not happy with the Molesworth...

Ian Levine
    Gallifrey
    Sun Oct 05 2008 21:58:25

Richard

I wish you had asked me some questions before doing this documentary.

Firstly, in 1985, Eric gave me Robert Holmes scene breakdown of the Singapore story, and it was called "Return Of The Autons". It had the Master but not The Rani, although JNT could easily have changed that before it went to final script.

Secondly, and most importantly, story six of that season was called "Gallifrey" and was written by Eric. He had discussed the ideas at length with me about this story back in 1985, before the cancellation. This is absolute fact. I seem to dimly recall this was even mentioned at the time in DWB. I assure you this is true.
    Stories 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 were all firm. The only question marks were over story 5, and there were a couple of contenders, which may or may not have ever been made, if the season had gone ahead.

I'm very concerned that you made no mention of the big end of season story called "Gallifrey".

Ian Levine's not happy with the Molesworth...
    The ensuing conversation on the RT Forum is worth five minutes of anyone's time. Ian's assertion that Saward gave him (what became, after Saward moved) the only surviving copy of the Singapore scene breakdown is (as far as we know) correct. The bit he didn't mention is that he's since lost it.

Yes. The only surviving copy, and he's lost it. He says it's in his shed, but I find it hard to believe he simply can't be bothered having a hunt for it. Unless of course he's got it, but is not parting with it.

Si.

Once again, it seems to me that this is yet another example of Levine's oneupmanship- I've got it, I've seen it, but no way am i going to share it.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

This is absolute fact. I seem to dimly recall this was even mentioned at the time in DWB. I assure you this is true.
    It's a fact, a thing you can't deny. I even remember it dimly.
    I'm very concerned that you made no mention of the big end of season story called "Gallifrey".
    They interviewed Eric Saward and looked at the official documentation. Surely that's enough?!

Frankly, given the title, I think Ian is making the whole thing up.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    not sure you can say that it dose not always follow that a poor book will mean the film/tv version will be bad.
    Well the book is usually better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Well the book is usually better.

certainly is where Stephen King, is concerned..

Some classic stuff from Levine:

http://www.rtforum.co.uk/read.php?id=241634

Biggins!

"Whatever evidence you may have unearthed, does not change the facts."
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Does this make Ian the Pamela Nash of the 'Robert Holmes Story Layout' world? Surely he should have checked that nobody wanted this lost story breakdown before casually losing it.

I'd just like to lay claim to the unused "Gallifrey" story.

Well why not, everyone else has!

Si.

"I was commissioned to write for Doctor Who at the age of 7. Even though I was too scared to watch the program, I gave it my best shot. My 'Galifray' script, which was two pages of pictures, was pinned up on the Doctor Who office fridge until Ian Levine bought it in 1993.
    "I am glad that this important piece of Doctor Who history has been preserved somewhere in this guy's shed."
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!