Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2.1: The Last Sontaran

Here's the thread for everyone to discuss the first of the new series of The Sarah Jane Adventures, which starts tonight at 4.35pm on BBC One. I'm really looking forward to it!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

Who's the villain going to be? Bet it turns out to just be the Slitheen dressed like a Sontaran again.

It's time Humpty Dumpty had a great fall anyway.

Please remember if you're watching Pt 2 on CBBC tonight to use the spoiler tags so you don't spoil it for anyone else.

Thanks.

Si xx

Please remember if you're watching Pt 2 on CBBC tonight to use the spoiler tags so you don't spoil it for anyone else.

Thanks.

Si xx

Not a bad episode for a start but the CGI of the dish was a bit crap/obviously fake.

Better second episode, really good finish & a good start to the season.

Thanks.

Si xx

That's the 3rd time you've said that.

It's just infuriating isn't it? (bet that doesn't post three times, does it?)

Si xx

Ha! Told you it wouldn't.

Si xx

What I find funny is that the 3rd post didn't show up for 33 minutes.

That might be some kind of record.

Si xx

I thought it was very enjoyable and a good solid start to the season. I loved Kaargh's CGI helmet (none of the other Sontarans has ever had one of those) and the invisible effects were really well done.

Si xx

Wayne Guest

I found it rather bland, & the Sontaran chappie wasn't half as good as Chris Ryan's.
    I'm hoping there will be a spooky, atmospheric one again, like the Gorgon one in S1.

Unfortunately, I missed both episodes due to there being a powercut and my DVD Recorder resetting! Hey ho, I'll have to catch up with the repeat!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

I thought it was pretty fabulous, if mostly for Maria's Mum!

There was too much info-dump at the end of Ep.1 and the Sontaran was a terrible shot. Apart from that it was great, a solid adventure romp. Not as good as Doctor Who, but loads better than Merlin. Poor Merlin.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

We enjoyed it, though it wasn't particuarly the most dynamic or inventive of the episodes. Plus points:

- Great CGI and effects. Loved the way they integrated in the Doctor Who footage and made it sort of like a "Breif Encounters" set during/after "The Poison Sky". Brilliant new design for the Sontaran "pod".

- Likewise the helmet disintegrating was very much a "Oh Wow!" moment

- Sarah's new hair

- The plot, to make Satelite's fall out the sky, was quite endearing and this series still has a grand spirit of adventure to it

Bad Points

- Took a bit of an age to get going. The first scene went on forever. No new title music!

- Thanks to Maria's departure there was a bit of a sense of unwelcome melancholy over the series opener, rather than feeling like a fresh new start. Maybe better if she'd left between seasons?

- And, well, it was all a bit of a slow mish-mash of other stories. A less complex "Time Warrior".

I think the highpoint was the chase, all the stuff with the cloaked ship and the iconic image of the Sontaran chasing people through the woods. Not a bad opener, but a little low key.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post

Thanks.

Si xx

I liked it, good solid fun, but not as good as last year's best stories.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

It was warm and great smelling but we forgot to set activate the magnetron to record the second part.

Whaddya gonna do?

Pip Madeley Guest

I love reading your posts Simon because I can never imagine you saying them in person

I can.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Well duh

WhiteCrow Guest

The story was great and worked well. This season seems a lot more high budget than last, the invisible Sontaran effect in particular being spectacular.

I wondered with all the camoflage whether we were going to see SJA "do Predator".

Episode 2 spoiler below ...

And it's bye bye Maria - that was a bit of shock.

She seems such a part of the series, much more central to a lot of it than Luke in a way. Are we going to have a revolving door of companions? Did Yasmin Paige secretly get herself preggers and got fired?

Surely Maria will be back as America is just about to bomb financially with dad getting the sack?

I believe she left so that she could study for her GCSEs. It's a big loss I think- she's been brilliant all the way through. Hopefully there will be room for her to come back and make guest appearances some time.

Si xx

WhiteCrow Guest

Watching part one with my wife wasn't fun. There was the mysterious invisible figure and she was all "ooh I wonder what it's going to be".

Cameron said it'd be a Sontaran, and was accused of watching it sneakily. "No mum, it's called THE LAST SONTARAN".

But she should have done her GCSE's last year acording to her birthdate.

She should return in the Enemy of the Bain!

I watched part 1 last night (part 2 hadn't recorded - our old friend entropy nibbling away at the system circuitry) and really enjoyed it. I probably agree that it took a while to get going, but nevertheless it seemed a lot more 'confident' than last year's first season. In fact, I found myself thinking it was more like old style Who as much as anything.

The footage in the woods was particularly good, and we're all enjoying Clyde's one-liners!!