Default MTV Europe Music Awards - Are They On Dope?

At this years MTV Europe Music Awards, they have announced the nominee's for the "Best Act Ever" award. Yes, EVER. Expect some pretty heavyweight musical legends eh? The nominee's are:

Britney Spears
    Christina Aguilera
    Green Day
    Tokio Hotel
    U2
    Rick Astley

Say what now! Now I'm no musical snob, and in theory I should be rejoicing that a Stock Aitken Waterman act is in there. But as a whole - WHAT? 60% of the list wern't around before the mid-nineties, never mind those minnows Bob Dylan, Queen, The Beatles etc. etc.

Seems a bit... odd, to say the least! Winners announced November 6, with Beyonce set to perform.

Si.

I hope Tokio Hotel win. Whoever they are.

What a load of old cock that list is. There are so many galring omissions you can tell that someone who's probably about 17 wrote that list and plucked the names out of the air.

Good thing this will count for bugger all in the grand scheme of things.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The thought occurs that it could be something like "best acts in MTV's history" (though there's nothing to suggest that). But even so that gives them back to about 1983 to choose from, which means that apparently the only great musical act between 1983 and 1994 was U2.

We were abroad a few years ago and there was a teen group on foreign telly - they seemed absolutely huge. Lo, it was Tokio Hotel! They seemed like a sort of cross between Kakko, Busted and Spandau Ballet, if you can imagine such a beast.

And whither Madonna?

Si.

which means that apparently the only great musical act between 1983 and 1994 was U2.
    or Rick Astley of course. I mean, why Rick? Where's Kylie? Her SAW days were bigger selling and longer lasting than Astley's were!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Rick Astley has enjoyed a sudden resurgence of popularity thanks to 'Rick-Rolling' (I think) which is where someone steals somebody else's web domain address and redirects it to the 'YouTube' video of Rick Astley singing his hit single, Never Gonna Give You Up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickrolling

MTV have just done this so that U2 win. If U2 are up there, where the f*** are REM? They're exactly the same size!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

WhiteCrow Guest

I guess Rick's fans are never gonna give him up!

A bit like David Tennants current psycho, I mean fan, following.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    MTV have just done this so that U2 win. If U2 are up there, where the f*** are REM? They're exactly the same size!
    Oh God no - I feel a televised lecture from Bono coming on.

"I just flew in from my home in Europe just to get this award. In my private jet. But I want to use it as an opportunity to tell you how you all need to do more for the environment."

Incidentally, fans of Christina Aguilera need not worry about her forthcoming "Best Of" taking up too much time to listen to. The kind Dame has helpfully packed it with around ten of her hits (which number around twice this amount), and re-recorded the most popular two in case you are fed up of the originals.

Si.

Incidentally, fans of Christina Aguilera need not worry about her forthcoming "Best Of" taking up too much time to listen to. The kind Dame has helpfully packed it with around ten of her hits (which number around twice this amount), and re-recorded the most popular two in case you are fed up of the originals.

Si.

and re-recorded the most popular two in case you are fed up of the originals.
    Our message board does that for your posts automatically these days!

Are we sure that this list from MTV isn't for 'Muscial Acts that Should Be Buried Alive'?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Who the f**k are Tokio Hotel? And Rick Astley?!

That HAS to be a p*ss-take... hasn't it......?

Rick was on Radio 1 earlier talking about this with much humour and unpretention. I hope he wins!

Not that I know but I suspect that websites and fan forums for those acts have been mass voting.

Even I stopped posting about the MTV Europe Music Awards following the stunning success of my 2004 and 2005 PS threads. They're a bag of old w*nk.

Having been aware of the whole Rick Astley malarkey, I have a feeling that he's going to win (assuming the online votes are actually counted).

The fact that MTV have allowed you to vote as many times as you want (and encouraged it) means that a few large forums I know of are going to spam the site with Astley votes. Not because they have any love for Astley, but because it would probably be the biggest Rickroll.

After all, we all expect U2 or something to win, and who'll pop up? Bloody Rick Astley...
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Worship him!

Still a load of old w*nk!

Pip Madeley Guest

What is UP with the world?

WhiteCrow Guest

"Never gonna give you up" should be the anthem for the David Tennant fan club.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Perhaps they gave it to him in the expectation that he'd only want his train fare from Warrington?

Told you so
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Black Lace will win next time, you mark my words!