Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It's ok...I've just got something in my eye

Sorry for the daft title.
    Yesterday I was looking for Doctor Who clips on Youtube at lunchtime when I decided to watch the last sequence from Doomsday again. I had to cut it short because I could feel myself welling up and I didn't want to blub in front of colleagues.
    There's been a few moments like that in the new series. Its generally more emotional than the original, although I feel sad when Tegan leaves and when Jo Grant leaves.

Anyway to the point.

What Doctor Who makes you blub like a baby?

Dave Lewis Guest

That same bit of Doomsday does it for too, Paul. In fact, when I first watched it, I had to be and brave and manly and show some stiff-upper-lipped-ness because my housemate came home just at the most emotionally draining bit of the whole sequence.

I think the conclusion of The Girl In The Fireplace has a similar tugging effect at the heart-strings, but there's nothing else, certainly nothing from the original series. Except Colin Baker's coat, maybe.

When K9 is destroyed in School Reunion gets me everytime, and then I have been known to cry for joy when the new one appears at the end of the episode

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Departures:

Susan, Jo, Sarah, Nyssa, Tegan, Rose.

Regenerations:

Second, Third, Fourth, Ninth.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Adric's death in Earthchock and the silent credits on the last episode. Did it to me when I first watched it as an 8 year old and still leaves me a little sombre now. I think at the time it was because no matter what happened, I always expected the Doctor and his companions to be safe at the end.

I called the Samaritans when Claire Clifford died in "Earthshock". It was like losing a loved one.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I called the Samaritans when Claire Clifford died in "Earthshock".
    Thank heavens they weren't engaged.....

Has to be the "My Sarah Jane" bit from School Reunion.

Wayne Guest

Obviously 'Father's Day' has many moments.
    The 9th Doctor's recorded message to Rose at the end of Parting of the Ways.
    Rose/Mickey's parting at the end of Age of Steel.
    Yes, the Sarah Jane moment that Steve just mentioned.
    Can't think of much from the classic series offhand, but the end of The Green Death always springs to mind. The Doctor driving off on his own.
    Last edited by Wayne; 7th Dec 2006 at 7:25 PM.

Dave Lewis Guest

I don't know why that bit is always so applauded as being so moving - fair enough if people do find it affecting, but I've always found it a bit ludicrous. Probably because I read the novelisation first, and that bit about a tear rolling down a Time Lord cheek (or whatever it is) is too ridiculous for words.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    and that bit about a tear rolling down a Time Lord cheek (or whatever it is) is too ridiculous for words.
    But why is it?
    He was really fond of Jo.
    Last edited by Wayne; 7th Dec 2006 at 7:55 PM.

Dave Lewis Guest

Because I'm a cold, emotionless, stone-hearted *******.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    Because I'm a cold, emotionless, stone-hearted *******.
    Not if your first post on this thread is anything to go by!
    Fair do's though. Different strokes n' all that. Clearly there are fairly big differences in the way anything emotional is presented on tv these days compared to back then.
    Arguably, anything like that was a lot more subtle in those days, whereas today it's generally presented much more powerfully. Possibly?
    But to mind there's not a world of difference between the affection Jo & the Doc held for each other, (We saw Jo's tears on screen, i thought it was quite touching) & that of Sarah & Doc, that we saw delved into in greater depth in 'School Reunion'.
    Or perhaps i'm a big softie at heart.
    Last edited by Wayne; 7th Dec 2006 at 8:04 PM.

I cant say I have ever got that emotional over Dr Who. Not even when Sarah left the TARDIS all those years ago. I must have a heart of stone.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

I've never actually cried, but just like Si, I do find myself filling up every time the Doctor says goodbye to K9 in "School Reunion", and then again seconds later when the Doctor and Sarah mourn him... and then again when (and I just never saw it coming first time around) the new version appears behind the disappearing TARDIS.

Old-school, for me it has to be Tegan's departure - even the reprise of the leaving music in "The Twin Dilemma" brings it all back.

As for Jo leaving, I was with Dave in that it never affected me, until the last time I saw it (I caught the last episode on UKG). It's played so well, with the Doctor doing that slightly awkward over-cheerfulness. It's not the final drive away that got me, it's the bit where he is outside the circle of laughter, on his own, and knocks back his glass in one hit.

Oh, and I also find the scene in part 2 of TATR where Faroon comes across the skeleton of her dead daughter oddly affecting too - due in part, I'm sure, to Keff McCulloch's music at that moment. No, it's all true, honest.

I got rather upset when I first watched Crature From The Pit. When the Wolfweeds got K9, I thought they'd killed him.

transvamp Guest

I have several favourite 'emotional' stories of Doctor Who, old and new.

The Dalek Invasion of Earth, The Evil of the Daleks, Inferno, Caves of Androzani, Dalek, Father's Day, School Reunion, Girl in the Fireplace.

I also have a few stories that I hate for their self-involved emotional excess and schmaltz, such as The Christmas Invasion and Doomsday

But in terms of Doctor Who stories that actually had me choked up and damn near to tears, it has to be Logopolis and Parting of the Ways.

Default Has DW ever made you cry?

Have you ever been reduced to tears by our favourite Timelord?

The end of PotW was the first time DW had made me well-up since the final scene of Logopolis when I was 10, and then The end of Girl in The Fireplace and the Sarah-Jane goodbye scene in School Reunion also hit me hard. Am I just becoming a big girl's blouse in my old age?
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Yes is the simple answer.

My Mum tells me I cried when Tom Baker regenerated into Peter Davison, and I can remember crying the next year when Adric died.

The New Series has really got me though! I'm a big softie and I cried when I watched Father's Day, I had a tear in my eye as Christopher Eccleston did his last scene with Rose, I cried when K9 got destroyed and again when the new K9 turned up at the end of the story!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I hope the Lord President doesn't mind (never thought I'd find myself typing that...) but I've merged his new 'Has DW Ever Made You Cry?' thread with Paul's one on the same subject - it seems daft for us to all be blubbing like babies on two different threads.

And did I mention how affected I was by Tegan's departure? Sniff.

I'm sure I've cried before at the end of "Inferno" at the "free will" bit. But try as I might, I can't cry during the new series because it just feels like I'm being told to. I feel under pressure to be sad.

But I'm sure one day, on some lonely Sunday afternoon by myself when I'm feeling vulnerable, I'll put on "Doomsday" and shed a tear.

Si.

I first saw Father's Day when I was going through a very bad patch with my girlfriend of the time, and I bawled my eyes out - anything that was heavy on emotional content would have got me, and that just happened to be what got me!

I well up at the bit in New Earth where the cat-nurse says "it's said he'll talk to the man without a home... the lonely god."

Otherwise, not that much has got me! Doomsday certainly didn't (the end scene annoyed me more than anything else - "get rid of the clingy cow!!!!")

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I first saw Father's Day when I was going through a very bad patch with my girlfriend of the time, and I bawled my eyes out - anything that was heavy on emotional content would have got me, and that just happened to be what got me!
    Aw, poor Ant! That makes two of my friends, then, who forbid me from putting that episode on when they are round, for fear of opening the floodgates!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Aw, poor Ant! That makes two of my friends, then, who forbid me from putting that episode on when they are round, for fear of opening the floodgates!
    oh, I'm fine with it now!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Dave Lewis Guest

OMG! FFS! Why has James not been on this thread to talk about fanboys weeping milky tears?