Default Recommendations Wanted For Sound Editing Software

I've been using Nero 6 for yonks and like an shoe I'm fairly used to it. It's what every PS Audio has been birthed on, and we use it for burning all our CD's as well as editing .wav files and assembling them together.

BUT Nero 6 is now old, and largely unsupported. Plus I'm thinking there must be better out there - NeroSoundTrax has always had an annoying bug that makes it freeze at random points. Now the computer needs a complete re-install, I'm thinking now might be a good time to upgrade.

However! Nero 9 doesn't seem very loved in on-line reviews. Plus it's at least £30 to buy. Can anyone recommend an alternative? What we want is something that:

- Enables you to burn CD's from MP3 or Wav Files
    - Has a Wav Editor on it, so you can edit Wav files with cut, paste, various snazzy effects
    - Has a SoundTrax like program for assembling tracks of sounds

And without hundreds of other features we don't need.

I know a few of you recommend Audacity for the wav editing, but I'm not wholly convinced by it. I have warmed to it, but I find it a bit clunky to use; for example you can't drag a sound into a specific point in a project, it always shoots to the start and you then have to manually drag it in position. Plus you can't drag sounds while the project is playing, little things like that.

Is there an alternative? Ideally we want something like Nero that has CD burning AND wav editing functionality, but I don't mind buying two things if neccessary.

Can anyone recommend anything? OR stick up for Nero 9 as I can find only 1 on-line review and that says it's exactly like Nero 8 which people hate!

Also I'm planning to backup by buying a memory stick and shoving everything on there. Surely this is easier/cheaper than using a backup utility and a stack of CD's. What do you think?

Si.

Perhaps you need an external hard drive to save everything on Si? They;re useful- hold more than a memory stick and are transportable too.

I don't know anything about the other problem I'm afraid, as I'm an audacity fan. I haven't assembled a play in Nero.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Thanks Si. Any links to good value external hard drives/memory sticks are appreciated btw! If it's stuff like CD's or books I know how to search for the cheapest on-line, but I don't have a clue about finding the cheapest of other stuff.

Si.

Try http://www.dabs.com Steve has used them a lot and they're always releiable and cheap for computer stuff I believe. Steve would be able to help a bit more as he's far better on this kind of thing than I am.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

We need to save Si's house from another collection of CD's!!!

I think both Maplins and PC World usually do these kinds of external disks. I tend to just buy a cheap external hard disk case, as I've almost always got spare hark disks of some size. They're also very good for data backup.

By an interesting coincidence, Amazon sent me an email about external hard drives this morning. This is their list and they start at £39.99. An external hard drive is a very wise investment. Use it with SyncToy and you can back everything up in a few minutes.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Thanks for the link, I'll look into that. How do you connect them, just via a standard lead into the USB port?

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Thanks for the link, I'll look into that. How do you connect them, just via a standard lead into the USB port?

Si.
    Pretty much!