Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

About four minutes.

Oh and I suggest you listen to it in the dark for optimum enjoyment

Honestly, I've not heard ANY of this (I didn't even hear much of it being recorded) so I can't wait to hear how the script I wrote with Pip has turned out. People might like to know that we both wrote an episode each (can you guess whose is whose?) but sat together, in true collaboration, and wrote bits together round the same keyboard as well. And laughed our arses off. There's one bit which was so naughty but made us laugh so hard we couldn't talk (and it's moments like that that I value probably more than anyone knows), and I really have no idea whether it survived editing, recording and post production without someone somewhere saying "you can't say THAT!". But I hope it made it through!

Si.

If it was that line which I had then yes, it did get recorded....eventually.

Were there out-takes?

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Nothing particularly hilarious, we were pretty on the ball that day - we had to be!

I've just listened and really enjoyed it. Quite a different type of story, reminds me of an early Tom Baker adventure. I love the opening and the resolution of the cliffhanger from the last story - didn't see that coming!
    That opening sequence with the exlosions and monster roars was brilliant, and I think the most exciting opener there has been for a story - loved the music too, and I think I may know where it came from, but I'm not sure...

I've also enjoyed the little hammer horror style touches - which lend themselves quite well to the story. The cast are on top form as always, and it took me a while to figure out who was playing who - which is a credit to how different people sounded here I think. I didn't realise Alex was playing Lord Rusty until later on, and I've only just seen that Mike was playing Sir Bobby - for some reason I thought it was Pip!

On the down side, Ali was a bit too quiet but on the upside, BLOODY BRILLIANT!
    I love the feel of the story & at first it felt very Hammer Horror but after about 5 minutes it was more like a 1930's Sherlock Holmes crossed with an Ealing comedy.

I can't wait for episode 2.

Pip Madeley Guest

Glad you enjoyed it guys Yes it is a very different type of story, I guess we all have our own visions of how Doctor Who should be so and I wanted to write something Robert Holmes-esque - serious but with a sprinkling of humour (like the bit where Rosalind is talking about two super sleuths ). I think Si tapped into what I wanted and did a grand job as co-writer.

That opening sequence with the exlosions and monster roars was brilliant, and I think the most exciting opener there has been for a story
    Thanks! That sequence was the first thing I wrote - I wanted to hit the ground running with an action-packed sequence that would get you paying attention

I think I may know where it came from, but I'm not sure...
    I know where you think it came from and yes, it's from that.

I've only just seen that Mike was playing Sir Bobby - for some reason I thought it was Pip!
    He's the man himself, I'm the spirit of him

On the down side, Ali was a bit too quiet but on the upside,
    I know, I'm afraid it was unavoidable, I had to work with the recording I had. I hope it didn't impair anyone's enjoyment too much!

As for the music, that was always in my mind, I wanted it to sound completely different from any PS Audio we've done, so it's all very old-fashioned, cliched and B-movie esque. So I'm glad you thought it worked!

WhiteCrow Guest

Not heard it yet - but well done for getting it done on time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    He's the man himself, I'm the spirit of him
    Ah! That makes sense. Even so, I couldn't tell it was Mike's voice!
    I forgot to mention the cutaway from Rosalinds 'intellectual' dialogue, and then Rob and Nicks petty arguing, that was great.

I also laughed at the squabble just after they arrived, and before Rosalind silenced them all with her entrance.

I'm just listening to it now, it's taken me this long to pluck up the courage
    Yeah I am quiet on it aren't I, is that cos I did my bit seperately? Or because I need to project my voice more? Really enjoyed doing it even though I was really nervous haha, haven't put on a voice since school plays( and that's a looong time ago). Jolly good stuff so far, everyone's really good in it!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penny View Post
    Rosalind silenced them all with her entrance.
    Haven't got to that bit, but it all sounds very Basic Instinct.

Wayne Guest

(Sir James Padbury)
    I wonder who's idea that was.
    Will listen tomorrow night. Bit too pissed at the moment.
    Last edited by Wayne; 19th Oct 2008 at 1:32 AM.

Wayne Guest

Just listened to it. Bloody great stuff!
    I liked it because as has been observed, it's a different style again to the previous stories, & it all helps to keep the season as a whole sounding varied & fresh.
    Yes, what an opener! Very exciting! Shame there were no daleks, but then i wasn't really expecting them i guess. I did wonder at the end of the last story how you were gonna get out of it. Very clever.
    Once again, the cast amaze me at how good you all sound. Every story of this season i've commented on how much improvement there's been, & i was kind of expecting it to level out in a sense, but somehow you've managed to raise the bar again!
    I don't like to single anyone out, because literally everyone sounded great, but i did find myself enjoying the Nick & Rob banter. Well done to Dave & Steve. Yes, Rob is starting to grow on me! I also enjoyed the Alex & Mike's characters needling each in the third segement, & well done Ashley & Ali for nice job of the Carringtons, despite the technical problem with the volume, which was a shame. And good to hear Tim & Dave Taylor involved in the audios again too.
    I know where you think it came from and yes, it's from that.
    Never mind all this talking in code, I'd like to know where this mysterious music is from!
    I was very impressed with the use of music & overall sound design, which i thought was the best since Si Hart's go on the production side a couple of stories back. I thought i recognised some of it, but i'm not sure, so i'd like to know. A couple of bits of it sounded like James Bernard!
    Yep, very much enjoyed part one. It was very mysterious & atmospheric, but it made me smile in places as well. I think what impressed me about it overall was how it went through several different moods, but it never sounded disjointed in it's overall style. I'll look forward to part 2!
    Last edited by Wayne; 19th Oct 2008 at 12:09 PM.

I listened to it late last night, and enjoyed it. I have to admit to a bit of disappointment that the Daleks weren't actually involved after the cliffhanger from Paradise Machine, but fair enough it was quite neatly resolved - I hope the Daleks will be making some kind of appearance in the PS audios at some stage though!!

Intriguing story, I'm still not sure what's going on (other than it not really being a ghost) and Nick's "it's all too obvious" line of thinking is very intriguing. Have to wait till next week to find out I suppose!!

Like Wayne, I thought Nick & Rob were particularly good (Wincey Willis indeed!) even if Nick's plan to pre-emptively nick the diamond sounds a bit barmy!! The Doctor didn't seem as involved as his companions, but I guess he's biding his time - I like the slightly McCoy thing of him not turning up just out of the blue.

If I had to criticise something, I'd say there's a bit too much music for my tastes - but then, Wayne's singled out the music as particularly well done, so I guess it really is a personal thing. If there's one area which the brains behind the PS releases might want to consider, perhaps finding some way of getting some music made specifically for the stories might be good - having to use music from other sources can be limiting, and occasionally the different styles of music don't always feel part of the same story. If that makes sense!

But an intriguing start to the second half of the season, and yet another different type of story for the intrepid PS crew. Well done guys & girls!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    If I had to criticise something, I'd say there's a bit too much music for my tastes - but then, Wayne's singled out the music as particularly well done, so I guess it really is a personal thing.
    You might have a point, but i think that's the Murray Gold influence.
    I too tend to prefer a slightly more minimal soundtrack, but i think i was referring to the choice & style of the music, & how well it fitted, generally. There might be a case for saying there's too much, but that seems to fit in with today's style.

Pip Madeley Guest

The amount of music was a mixture of

a) the fact that it helps hide the background hiss on certain people's lines
    b) parodying the overblown music of early 20th century films
    c) I love music

Wayne Guest

So i'll ask again then, Where is the music originally from?

Pip Madeley Guest

Wayne Guest

Right! Thanks! I was totally off beam then!

Wayne Guest

Just listening to it again.
    Steve wants a medal for getting his tongue around the whole bit about the 'mogadorians' near the beginning. I bet that crops up in the outakes.

Mogador is in fact a small village near where I live, Fact Fans!

Wayne Guest

Sounds like a feline monster of Peladon.

Pip Madeley Guest

I bet that crops up in the outakes.
    He did it in one take, believe it or not. That whole speech was a bit of a piss-take

Wayne Guest

The whole speech was a bit of a piss-take
    No kidding.
    One take! What a pro!