Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Fantastic - this was a thoroughly enjoyable play! Loved the production tweaks, particularly the over-the-top-spooky-music when the castle is first mentioned. The story has come to life quite spectacularly! There's a lot of intrigue and the plotting is well laid out.

Everybody is giving a good performance in this one too, Paul's Doctor is sounding more comfortable than ever. I thought the selection of gruff old gentlemen at the house were wonderful, good jobs from Dave Taylor, Ash and Alex - and Tim's smarmy butler was fab too!

And Ali was brill as Rosalind. So posh! The measured, clipped performance works well against the blustering old gents of the manor.

There's a couple of lines that I'd have liked to have had another go at, Rob seems quite breathless in places.

Poor old Doctor Who's been shot!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'd completely forgotton that Nick homages Sinitta's lost Eurovision entry. "Maybe it's your imagination, playing tricks with your heart?"

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Who the hell is Wincey Willis?

Finally got chance to listen - well done to everyone (esp nice to hear Dave T's dulcet tones again).
    I like the style of most of the music too - very Basil Rathbone - but I'm not that keen on sudden bursts within a scene (just a personal thing).

Roll on Saturday !
    Bazinga !

I have listened to it and I must say that it is fantastic from the pre title sequence to the last cords of the end theme. I enjoyed every minute of it. I liked the way the cliffhanger from the last episode was tied up and that speech by Rob was just brilliant, and also the Doctor telling Rob and Nick to stay out of trouble was just asking for trouble. Planet Skaro audios are just getting better and better with each one. Roll on Staurday for part two.

I think my favourite moments of this episode were the 'game of cards' flashback (very dramatic!) and the scene with Rob and Nick in their bedroom, especially Steve firing on all cylinders as Rob. "Thank Crunchie!!"

Si.

You can say that again!

I must mention that although the character of Rob is still acutely annoying (though Steve plays the part so well, in the same way that I always found Bonnie Langford so good as the equally annoying Mel), I'm starting to find him rather endearing!

I'll grow on you, Mel!

The Seedy Extra for this story will be only the second time I've used a non-Rob voice in a PS audio.

Everyone loves Nick - he's the real star of the show! Of all the TARDIS team, he's the only one who's being pro-active in this story.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I love the way the Doctor stands over Rob and Nick like an irritated parent. Like the way he says "Pack it in you two!" as they walk towards the castle arguing.

Si.

'The other way sir.'
    'Oo, of course.'

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penny View Post
    'The other way sir.'
    'Oo, of course.'
    I liked that gag, too!

I liked performing that gag! Tim was excellent.

It's actually a very visual gag but comes across brilliantly on audio!

I think its the pauses that nail it.

Pip Madeley Guest

Sorry everyone but episode 2 will be delayed by a few days, due to a mix of personal issues which I'd rather not discuss, spending time investigating the more important issues with the forum's reliability and also due to lack of spare time.

I hope you won't all be too disappointed (well, those of you that bother to listen and we love you for it!) but I don't want to upload an inferior production and I simply can't complete it in time. Episode 2 will now debut on Wednesday 29th October and 'The Crystal Eye' will be uploaded on schedule on Saturday 1st November.

Wayne Guest

Hope all's well Pip. We'll all enjoy a bit of mid-week Who, i'm sure.

WhiteCrow Guest

Don't sweat it Pip - actually would have been nice if we'd thought forward to release a story on Halloween. We must do a Halloween special next year.

Hope it all sorts out. I think a lot of people on here are highly stressed out at the moment.

Pip Madeley Guest

I would've loved to have had Ratanapura debut on Hallowe'en but the decision was taken to bring it forward so CDs would be ready for the PS meet, which is a fair point as it saves a lot of money on postage etc.

Stressed out is the word! I can't wait for November, a bit of leave & a lot of fun!

Another few days anticipation won't hurt.

Sorry to hear you're so snowed under with things at the moment Pip, and I hope my complaining about the way the forum was running yesterday didn't make you too cross. It wasn't meant that way at all.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Thanks for letting us know, Pip - like everyone else has said, don't beat yourself up over it. In my time I've waited 18 months, and then 15 years, for the next episode of Doctor Who, so I'm sure I can manage a few days this time... Hope everything else sorts itself out too.

I was actually thinking back over part 1 this morning, and one thing I didn't mention before, but that I rather liked was that by the end of the episode I had no more idea of what was going on than at the start. By which I mean, obviously the story has got underway, we've met the characters, etc, but what actually is going on is really a complete mystery - it's a bit like part 1 of The Deamons, or Ghost Light even, in that the script has a lot of things going on in the first episode, but is keeping its secrets close to its chest. I don't think we even know who (if anybody!) is the villain, which is very intriguing.

Maybe the butler did it... Tim?

No worries, Pip - I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    like everyone else has said, don't beat yourself up over it
    Yeah - that's what lynch mobs are for!

Kidding Pip.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Episode 2 will now debut on Wednesday 29th October
    Here's a worrying thought - didn't the move to debut new Who episodes on a Wednesday evening kill the original series?

Pip you're scheduling us against Coronation Street again you fool!!!

Wayne Guest

@Mike

Pip Madeley Guest

Sorry for the extra delay everyone (well, those of you that will bother downloading it, love you guys!) but I've not slept since Tuesday morning (nobody at work today noticed, I must look knackered all the time ) and I'm still working on it. Should be up in less than an hour.

Then I'm off to bed.