Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Planet Skaro Audio Awards

To save clogging up the new season thread, I'm starting this thread to discuss the potential PS Audios Awards for the end of the year. Nothing is definite yet, so perhaps we could work out between us what actual awards we want to include.

As we haven't done anything like this before, it'd be nice to include the first set of adventures as well, and Si suggested we do Season 1- Echoes of the Protii to Doctor Who and the Christmas Gnomes and Season 2- Heart of the Haniad to Christmas Spirits as seperate awards.

Obviously we don't want to make this too onerous a task for anyone to vote in, so we don't want huge lists of awards. We need to keep it simple. So what would you all like to vote for? If we can get some kind of consensus that'll make it easier.
    And would someone like to volunteer to collect the votes- I suggest PMing whoever takes this task on with the votes to keep it all secret.

Thoughts anyone?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

Off the top of my head:
    Fave story, Fave companion, Fave villian, Fave cover, Fave cameo, err...... There's probably more?

I'll happily collect the votes, they can be sent to the PS Audios mailbox, psaudios@yahoo.co.uk, also a willing home to any new short stories or play ideas!

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Who will deal with the hanging chads though?

I would suggest doing Season 1 and 2 seperately, there's quite a few stories in each, and I think it would be easier to choose a favourite if the list were smaller.

WhiteCrow Guest

I think the categories I'd like to see would be ...

Best Story

Best Use of Sound Effects

Most Original Premise

Best Villain

Best Line of Dialogue/Moment [I would suggest for this, getting a short list from us the listeners]

Most memorable cameo part (The Baron mayhap? Robs mum?)

And then a "What would you like to see in future audios ... which you don't see your hear".

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I'll happily collect the votes, they can be sent to the PS Audios mailbox, psaudios@yahoo.co.uk, also a willing home to any new short stories or play ideas!
    I'll vote when the categories have been finalized & the 2nd half of the season is finished.

We should have best supporting character rather than cameo part, as some of the best characters like Brian Epstein, Rob's Mum, Vera, Father Christmas etc would be lost otherwise I think.

Perhaps best sound design rather than sound effects?

But I do like the best dialogue/ moment idea.

Si xx

Please can we have ideas for Best Dialogue and Best Moment then, and we will compile the short list for voting.

It goes without saying that no one should send any votes to the mailbox until we have finalised the categories and announced them in the New Year!

Si.

Are we allowed to nominate/ vote for ourselves? We'd better make that clear from the start too!

Si xx

WhiteCrow Guest

Please can we have ideas for Best Dialogue and Best Moment then, and we will compile the short list for voting.
    I was thinking for each story get some of the cast/writer to say what their favourite is, and try and shortlist say about 2-3 for each story.

Supporting character sounds good.

The odd thing is I don't think we really have room for "best companion" as they're only 3, and really Rob and Nick are a double act. Also Paul would have "best Doctor" sown up.

I think the tone of the awards should be a "well done" but with a bit of fun. It's also a chance to appreciate the spectrum of collaboration which goes into it. Would The Paradise Machine have been the same without the Baron of Borialis for instance?
    Last edited by WhiteCrow; 17th Oct 2008 at 12:21 PM.

WhiteCrow Guest

Oooh - we also should have course have a "best CD cover" award as well.

I think both Rob and Dave are mature enough to accept being trumped by the other, and they're both man enough to take it if Ed swoops in and steals it too! So I think a three-man race is fine, I also think everyone and anyone should be allowed to nominate dialogue!

Si.

Sorry I meant Steve not Rob! The lines between fiction and reality really do blur for me...

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

I also think everyone and anyone should be allowed to nominate dialogue!
    So do I - but I was just wondering for the case of making the vote manageable whether it was better to have a short list of dialogue for people to vote on, rather than just a "choose anything". The use of actors and writers was simply they'd probably be more familiar with it.

Might maybe worth doing a "fave PS audio lines" thread and then plunder it later.

My nominations for best dialogue/ moments are:

Echoes of the Protii: Rob and the ghost- "I won't forget"
    Soap: Lorraine Bowen's crumble
    The TARDIS: It's been DESTROYED!
    Keepsake: "The thing about games is they've got rules!"
    MHT: Brian and Nick say goodbye
    Christmas Gnomes: "Goodbye Doctor/ Hello Doctor!"- Kestero and Vera
    Nick and Scott meet again "So spiky!"

Haniad: The Doctor and Ed steer into the Haniad "wooooooooo!"
    Heist!: Ed and the Doctor and Jann in the hotel room (I love that scene!)
    The Paradise Machine: "Did you look in the auditorium?/ no/ I was in the auditorium!"

Si xx

WhiteCrow Guest

Off the top of my head,

Soap:

Just about anything said by old Charlie was classic.

"He ain't wearing no hat!"

Heist:

A great little line, and although I said it, I have to mention it: "Ah the classic tailors - Burtons!"

Ed(in disguise): "Mocca choca capucinos with caramel fondants all around fellas!"

Paradise Machine:

"Hey this jacket is a Gucci/Yeah in a world where Gucci own Primark"

"The Baron is distressed"

I really like the idea of there being separate awards for season 1 & then season two.

Reason? Well I believe that all aspects of the recording have improved so much that season 2 would probably take most of the awards & also we can announce the winners @ the November meet for season 1 where as season 2 will have only just finished & there won't be time for voting as Si pointed out on the other thread.

Favourite story rather than best, in fact favourite everything rather than best as there might be a preference to one but it might not actually be better, if you see what I mean.

Favourite performance.
    Favourite story.
    Favourite character.
    Favourite dialogue (single line or short conversation).
    Funniest bit.
    Favourite writing.
    Favourite actor (in a single role or over the season if applicable)?

Any good?

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    we can announce the winners @ the November meet for season 1
    Thats a superb point. I too think the words "raised the bar" applies to each subsequent set of releases.

The only problem is, would the audios be available in MP3 format for review? I know the Proti story isn't currently available to listen to, and there might be others too..

"Echoes" and "Soap" arn't available in MP3 format, and there's no way that'll happen before the end of the year so you'll have to rely on your memories I'm afraid!

I hadn't envisaged two Awards (i.e two lots of results, collation etc.) merely a different category for the Season 1 stuff. If people want a completely seperate Season 1 poll before November, then that's fine but I'm afraid I don't have time to organise it as I have stuff for the current season to finish!

Si.

I'll collate Season 1 scores ready for the meet then, if that's OK with everyone. We just need to get a list of catagories then people can email the PS Audios address with their lists.

Si xx

Surely the best option would be to set up a premium rate phone line, then everyone can vote repeatedly over the next few months.

I'll get my...I mean the bank account set up ready
    Bazinga !

WhiteCrow Guest

Nice one Jon!

What about best cover?

Wayne Guest

Beat you to it Andrew.