Default BF 116: The Raincloud Man

Having just defeated the Krotons, the Doctor is treating Charley to a hearty English breakfast, when an intriguing mystery suddenly presents itself. And to solve it, they must plunge back into the criminal underbelly of Manchester, where an old friend is up to her neck in alien trouble.

But what seemed like a mere mystery ends up being a life or death struggle at the centre of an interplanetary war in which the stakes are so high, the Doctor or Charley must gamble and lose their identity. And throughout, the lone figure of the Raincloud Man may hold the key to success or failure.
    Colin and India seem to have hit it off really well together. Should make this one worth looking forward to!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

This story's obviously been hugely popular!

I've just heard it and I'm afraid I was dissapointed. I normally like Eddie Robson's material, but this wasn't as good as "The Condemned". It lacked the novelty factor that that story had of the Doctor and Charley in a contemporary British city setting, and all got really confused towards the end with one race fighting another race and so on. It was ok, but I'm afraid it just didn't engage me and I really had to force myself to finish it off.

And they're STILL milking the "will she tell him" thing between them - they really ought to give that one up now.

Si.

Finished it off this morning and it was enormously confusing. Who set up the ludicrous virus against the Tabbalacs? Was The Raincloud Man a Tabbalac? What about the time sensitive?

I think they should have started the story on board the boat, with DI Menzies investigating, rather than have all the (as it turned out) pointless running around in Manchester. The story seems to be front-loaded with padding, it's not until part 3 that it really kicks off. The whole thing was enlivened by the surprise appearance of Inspector Gadget's arch-enemy, The Claw. I love that voice!

The top trumps resolution was great, a real Doctor Who moment. And I like it when the Doctor seems to get it wrong about the time-travelling lady.

Oh gawd, I'd forgotten the time-travel lady. What was that about? It had no relation to anything. After getting the Doctor involved in the plot with her dodgy pound coin, she had no reason to be there! Most of the rest of story strands tied up very well.

And in the end everyone is shot dead, which is pretty naff. And the 'High Stakes' table was utter, utter bo!!ocks of the first order. Where did Brookes get such a powerful machine from? How does it 'affect reality'? I think the Doctor even comments that he should be using it for something a bit more worthwhile than gambling. And why did the Tabbalac go on playing after he'd won?! I was totally unconvinced by the explanation that he wanted 'Charlie's knowledge of the Doctor.' Why would he be interested in that?

It was fun, but largely non-sense (in the true meaning of the word!)
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

And the 'High Stakes' table was utter, utter bo!!ocks of the first order. Where did Brookes get such a powerful machine from?
    I agree! Suddenly the writer needed a way to validate the bet that "the war would be over" so the Doctor casually mentioned that somehow the gambling table had changed reality and the war was instantly over!! And this from a story which earlier made a point that the Doctor couldn't just go back in time and change things!

Si.

It was a bit above average, but since the average seems to be quite low at the moment that's probably not saying much. It was fun to listening to because of the engaing performances from the regulars and the guest cast, but as noted above it didn't hold together as well as it could have done.

I like Menzies, but he sarcasm is quickly becoming wearing. I think if they bring her back it might be good to hear some other facets of her personality. I did like the Doctor turning her request to join the crew down though. That was rather good- especially as he'd usually jump at the chance.

The Doctor-Charley plot is not nearing a resolution though, is it? Shame really. I think it needs to be dealt with fairly soon before it becomes tedious.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Becomes?

Si.

You know me, always looking on the bright side Si

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.