Default AC/DC - Black Ice

The first new album in 8 years... It sounds like it is supposed to be pretty good, and getting good reviews, though I haven't heard it myself yet (release day is today here).

I seem to remember a large AC/DC thread from back in the day. Anyone listened to or going to listen to this one? Anyone still a fan?

'Rock N Roll Train' is half decent but I wasn't tempted to buy Black Ice in Asda (only £8.71, or something) yesterday!

I've read the good reviews as well, but expect to be disappointed. Unfortunately every album they ever release is touted as the best since 'Back In Black', but usually they tend to disappoint. Of course there are a lot of excellent tracks scattered through their albums, but many of those albums are patchy affairs overall.

All the same, it'll be in my shopping basket before the week's out...

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    I've read the good reviews as well, but expect to be disappointed. Unfortunately every album they ever release is touted as the best since 'Back In Black', but usually they tend to disappoint.
    I thought every album was virtually a re-hash of Back in Black?

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

It just occured to me that I haven't got a single AC/DC album on CD.. I had several from back in the days when I collected cassette tapes, but it has really been awhile. I remember I liked a track or two from The Razor's Edge, but I never got around to getting that album.

The albums I have on tape are (to the best of my memory): Highway to Hell, Back in Black, '74 Jailbreak, Who Made Who, and Blow Up Your Video.
    Last edited by Jeff; 21st Oct 2008 at 8:07 PM.

Highway To Hell and Back In Black are easily the highlights of their career. In fact Back In Black must be one of the greatest rock albums of all time, imo.

Wayne Guest

The only AC/DC albums i need in my collection are:

If You Want Blood You've Got It - Superb live album. 'Let There Be Rock' still sounds great after all these years.
    'Highway To Hell' - The live album is my ultimate fave, but objectively, this is probably the best album they ever did. :wayne
    'Powerage' - The bronze medalist. Not as good as the other two by some margin, but it was the first one i had by them, & nostalgia speaks for a lot.

I'm afraid i'm mainly a fan of the Bon Scott era. 'Back in Black' was a good album, but i never got on with Brian Johnson. He was a good replacement for Bon, as he was a similar style, but he was that bit too screechy for me.

I listened to about 3/4 of it on the way to work this morning. About what you expect from one of the least changing bands in the history of Rock.. but I think it does show a tiny bit more diversity than usual. I actually thought one of the songs, Stormy May Day, sounded Zeppelinesque with its riffs. I've also read that the producer convinced Brian Johnson to actually sing on this album instead of just screaming. It sounds the same as classic 80's stuff to me, but then I read that he was sounding thin on Stiff Upper Lip, so maybe it did help.

At any rate it sounds like more good stuff if you are into them. Some good quality hits mixed with some filler. With AC/DC, I guess you at least always know what you are going to get.

Also lots more songs about Rock N' Roll... It would be funny if on their last album someday, they made a song called 'Rock Is Dead' as their final song.

*to the tune of every AC/DC song ever made*

You've got your hip hop
    You've got your rap
    You spend your money on all that crap

(chorus)
    Rock is dead (long live Rock)
    I know we said Rock would never die
    But we lied!
    Rock is dead

We're getting old now
    We've made our cash
    Now it's time for us to dash

(repeat chorus)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff;137849I
    I actually thought one of the songs, Stormy May Day, sounded Zeppelinesque with its riffs.
    One of the songs, Anything Goes, reminded me very much of Steve Earle's Trancendental Blues, with it's riffs. It's riffs only, mind...the songs are totally different (as you'd expect!)

This album is a strong outing for the group, though. It's more consistant than some of their previous outings, quality-wise. There's no surprises though...it's exactly what you expect from AC/DC, and that's not a bad thing.

I find parts of 'Decibel' sound a bit like ZZ Top as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I find parts of 'Decibel' sound a bit like ZZ Top as well...
    It's actually becoming fun just trying to spot any possible outside influences on this album. So much for being just the same old AC/DC...

Well, I know it is the same old AC/DC but it's slightly more varied than usual, and the better for it. This cd is really growing on me.

I see it went straight to number one in the UK album charts as well, the old-fashioned way...no downloads included. Good for them!!! Rather fitting for so-called rock dinosaurs...

I saw/heard a woman rocking out to Rock N Roll Train in her SUV yesterday at the stoplight while leaving work. I had to almost laugh cos she was really getting into and had it blasting.

It would be cool if this turned out to be their most successful album since BIB.

It would be cool if this turned out to be their most successful album since BIB.
    You know, I've got a sneaky feeling that this might just be the case....

You know, I've got a sneaky feeling that this might just be the case....