Default Flatulent passenger grounds flight

Just in case anyone missed the news story..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061206/...latulence_dc_1

NASHVILLE, Tenn., Dec 6 (Reuters Life!) - It may be one problem airline security officials never envisioned -- a passenger lighting matches in flight to mask odors from her flatulence.

The woman's actions resulted in an emergency landing on Monday in Nashville of an American Airlines flight bound for Dallas from Washington, D.C., said Lynne Lowrance, a spokeswoman for Nashville's airport.

Other passengers reported the odor of burned matches, but the woman was not forthcoming when asked about it, Lowrance said on Wednesday.

"Of course, she was scared and embarrassed but all the passengers had to disembark, all the luggage had to be searched, a canine team was brought in, and about three hours were consumed in sorting out the situation," she said.

The woman was not allowed back on the flight and barred from flying on American Airlines, Lowrance said.

"Since there was no malice involved and the incident was accidental, she was not charged with anything," she said.

Passengers are permitted four books of paper safety matches on a plane but cannot light them during flight, Lowrance said.

"I've had calls from people all over the country about this," she said. "And I don't have the answer to this problem."

Wayne Guest

Silly cow!

Passengers are permitted four books of paper safety matches on a plane but cannot light them during flight, Lowrance said.
    Why give them to passengers if they can't use them?v

I don't think they give out matches, they probably mean passengers are allowed to take them on board if they already have them.

What's all the fuss? I don't see that there's anything wrong with trying out the afterburners.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I think the problem comes when you set fire to the stewardess - who's going to hand round the duty frees?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Just in case anyone missed the news story..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061206/...latulence_dc_1

NASHVILLE, Tenn., Dec 6 (Reuters Life!) - It may be one problem airline security officials never envisioned -- a passenger lighting matches in flight to mask odors from her flatulence.

The woman's actions resulted in an emergency landing on Monday in Nashville of an American Airlines flight bound for Dallas from Washington, D.C., said Lynne Lowrance, a spokeswoman for Nashville's airport.

Other passengers reported the odor of burned matches, but the woman was not forthcoming when asked about it, Lowrance said on Wednesday.

"Of course, she was scared and embarrassed but all the passengers had to disembark, all the luggage had to be searched, a canine team was brought in, and about three hours were consumed in sorting out the situation," she said.

The woman was not allowed back on the flight and barred from flying on American Airlines, Lowrance said.

"Since there was no malice involved and the incident was accidental, she was not charged with anything," she said.

"I've had calls from people all over the country about this," she said. "And I don't have the answer to this problem."

it could only happen in America..