Default Gn'R - Chinese Democracy (Finally)

But does anyone still give a shit after 14 years (or however many).

I've heard a few of the tracks and while not overly impressed initially (considering how much has been put into the album), I found they are growers and think they are pretty good if not classics like in the past. I think 'Better' could be a hit single.

I've read it will only be released at Best Buy stores in the US, so I'm not sure if it will even be released in the rest of the world.

The release date is Nov 23, and interestingly, everyone in the US is entitled to a free Dr. Pepper (soft drink if they don't sell them over the pond) because the folks at Dr. Pepper said back in March that they would give everyone a free one if Chinese Democracy was released in 2008.

Pip Madeley Guest

Dr. Pepper (soft drink if they don't sell them over the pond)
    We have Dr Pepper

Cool. You don't get a free one though.

Dr Pepper is cool and awesome, but still not as good as Dandelion & Burdock.

I was going to start a 'Chinese Democracy' thread last week...

but couldn't be arsed!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=somhZc...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    I was going to start a 'Chinese Democracy' thread last week...

but couldn't be arsed!
    I almost started one last Thursday, but the same thing happened...

Oh, and I forgot: Not everyone in the US gets a free Dr. Pepper... just everyone except Buckethead and Slash. But Axl said that since some of Buckethead's work is on the album, Axl would give him his Dr. Pepper.

Isn't Axl a nice guy?

WhiteCrow Guest

I bet Dr Pepper came up with this thinking "What's the worst that can happen".

Remember that as they slide into liquidation in 2009.

It could actually be a good promotion for them. It's not uncommon for Taco Bell (a restaurant I don't believe you have which is owned by the same company as Pizza Hut) to give away free tacos to the nation for accomplishments in sporting events (they are giving away free tacos this week, I think, because a base was stolen in the World Series).

I was thinking for a very long time that the album title might happen before the album was released

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I bet the free drink is via a send-away promotion advertised in very small writing on the back of cans. For three days.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I bet the free drink is via a send-away promotion advertised in very small writing on the back of cans. For three days.

Si.
    Close. We will have 24 hrs (the day of the albums release - Nov 23) to register online on the Dr. Pepper site. They will then mail a coupon that you can redeem at any store that sells Dr. Pepper.

http://drpeppersnapple.mediaroom.com...p?s=43&item=76

BTW 'Madagascar' is an awesome track. They should have made that their first single. 'There Was A Time' is really good too.

I managed to successfully register for my free Dr. Pepper (and one for the wife), I'm sure you'll all be relieved to know.

I'm much happier with what I've heard of the finished product than the collection of leaks I was listening to. I still think "Madagascar", "There Was A Time", and "Better" are the best tracks.

Oh, and surprise, surprise, China isn't very happy about the album:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081124/..._guns_n__roses

BEIJING – A newspaper published by China's ruling Communist Party is blasting the latest Guns N' Roses album as an attack on the Chinese nation.
    Delayed since recording began in 1994, "Chinese Democracy" hit stores in the U.S. on Sunday, although it is unlikely to be sold legally in China, where censors maintain tight control over films, music and publications.
    In an article Monday headlined "American band releases album venomously attacking China," the Global Times said unidentified Chinese Internet users had described the album as part of a plot by some in the West to "grasp and control the world using democracy as a pawn."
    The album "turns its spear point on China," the article said.
    (see above link for more)

Now I've finished listening to all the tracks I'd put "This I Love" above "Madagascar" as far and away the best track on the album. This one actually might have the ability to reach the classic status of something like November Rain if they should release it as a singe and make an expensive video for it. And they'd be stupid not to, but then the studio has already sunk more money into this than they will probably be able to recover...

I bought it yesterday.

Helping it on its way to #2 on the UK album chart.