Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Agree with Dave's previous post - the thing is that Tennant (love or loathe him) has been a remarkable ambassador for the show. He's done a lot of crap gigs - constant publicity appearances, signings, Christmas lights etc. with an enthusiasm which I can't ever recall from anyone else in a similar job, and it's a huge part of how he's come to be the Doctor. I very much doubt you'll get someone so willing to do all that and keep smiling throughout.

Wayne Guest

I read that Russell Brand is looking for a new job.

I seem to be in a minority about when Tennant was at his best...
    Casanova?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybee Bailey View Post
    Agree with Dave's previous post - the thing is that Tennant (love or loathe him) has been a remarkable ambassador for the show. He's done a lot of crap gigs - constant publicity appearances, signings, Christmas lights etc. with an enthusiasm which I can't ever recall from anyone else in a similar job, and it's a huge part of how he's come to be the Doctor. I very much doubt you'll get someone so willing to do all that and keep smiling throughout.
    Absolutely! I would go as far as to argue that to almost everyone - not just the public at large but even hardcore Doctor Who fans who think he's mainly rubbish - Tennant is the person who springs to mind when they think of the Doctor. Well, either him or Paul Monk. Or James Nesbitt.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    not just the public at large but even hardcore Doctor Who fans who think he's mainly rubbish - Tennant is the person who springs to mind when they think of the Doctor.
    Nope.

I read that Russell Brand is looking for a new job.

Knew the announcement was coming on the NTA's because of the earlier press leak, and can't say I'm sad about it, he's had a good run & I never warmed to his protrayal greatly (for reasons similar to Wayne)......

.....but then we might get Paterson Joseph to replace him!!

The cynic in me wonders if the announcement was timed so that when, in a fortnight, the vast viewing public sees The Next Doctor on Children in Need night, they'll assume he genuinely is the next Doctor, rather than automatically assume it's some kind of trick. Personally, unless Moffat is involved with this special (and I've not heard anything to suggest he is) then I can't believe Morrisey is the genuine 11th Doctor - it would be a bit mean of RTD to cast somebody, establish his look and (presumably) character, and then effectively lumber Moffat with a fait d'accompli.
    These things are generally done when the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, probably because someone has just signed on the dotted line to replace him. Either that, or they've done it to take attention away from Jonathan Ross & Russell Brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Oh and Ralph won't even know about it unless they sneak it onto the next Pertwee dvd somehow.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

The reason I did hear because it was on the radio...

I'm deeply gutted

It can't be any worse in my view!!!! so yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and to all those genuinely gutted - you'll get over it

Quote Originally Posted by Logo Polish View Post
    Breaking out the champers time at Wayne and Ralph's places tonight, I guess...
    I've been chilling a couple of bottles in readiness

Dave Lewis Guest

This will probably go down extremely poorly at the moment but I genuinely believe Russell Brand would be a good choice to play the Doctor; not necessarily through his acting ability - which is at best unproven - but personality wise. In his stage act he has a strange sense of wonder at the smallest things that strikes me as Doctorish.

Obviously that will be shot down quicker than a copy of the Guardian at David Cameron's weekly clay-pigeon-shooting party but I stand by it. I was going to say Russell would make a good fist of it but I realised in retrospect that it would be an inappropriate remark.

Pip Madeley Guest

I wonder if Si and Steve have heard about this yet, they're at the Hoosiers tonight...

Dave Lewis Guest

That's very sad; after such a depressing evening this is the last kind of news they need to hear...

Pip Madeley Guest

@ Dave

"Goodbye Mr T"

Actually, he'd be a great Doctor...

"Quit yo Jibber-jabber, Davros! If I ever catch you acting like a crazy fool again, you're gonna meet my friend PAAAAAAAAAAAAINNNNNNNN!"

I'd love that.

Ah! The lightweight! I thought he would have done one more year after the specials! I didn't react in shock at the news as this forum had more or less softened the blow a few months ago!
    It seems the series has pressed it's own big, red, reset button!
    And to add to the 1974 comparison, thanks to the credit crunch, we might see the show go back to the crappy effects that the tiniest of Who minorites want to see return!
    Contrary to what you might think, I'm on your side. Those fans should be hunted down.
    And imagine coming home from a gig by The Hoosiers and hearing about this?
    Double suck!!! Si and Steve has my sympathies.

Translation: I don't think it's sunk in yet...

I was at the Hoosiers as well, was a fab gig. Did wonder how my phone had managed to fill up with texts and wouldn't stop alerting me it couldn't deliver them so I switched it off.

I'm not surprised to see that Tennant's leaving after the specials. Remember that leaked document about a year or two back that Ian Levine caused such a stooshie about? The one which stated that everyone connected with the show (Julie Gardner, RTD, Phil Collinson, and Tennant) would be leaving soon? I reckon that they had all given their timescales for moving on at that point, thus giving the beeb plenty of time to draft in replacements. Everything has been prepared for, it's just a matter of getting the timing right for the official announcements...

I've got to admit that I'm slightly saddened by Tennant's announcement, as he's really grown on me over this past year. Like Davison, he's going out on a high. All we can hope for now is that he goes with a bang...but it'll take something really great to top Eccleston's departure imo, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    I'm not surprised to see that Tennant's leaving after the specials.
    I've got to admit that I'm slightly saddened by Tennant's announcement, he's going out on a high. All we can hope for now is that he goes with a bang though.
    Ditto.

I must say that my feelings have always been mixed about his Doctor, on the one hand he's great, and has shown us a great Doctor. On the other hand his gurning and shouty portrayal has been really annoying.
    I'd say his best performances were Rise of The Cybermen/The Age of Steel, Human Nature/Family of Blood and the season four two parter Silence in the Library, let's hope Moffat can give us more stuff like this when he takes over with his new Doctor. But for now, let us enjoy what we have left of the tenth Doctor.

I will be sorry to see the departure of DT, I think he (along with RTD and others) has helped DW to become the flagship programme on BBC1 again.

Although not everyone on this site agrees, I think DT has brought charm, wit and intelligence, as well as a sense of wonder back to our favourite programme, making it far more appreciated by the mainstream, as well as bringing it back to a new generation of younger fan, guaranteeing it for a good few years to come.

Thank You DT, you will be missed!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

That's very sad; after such a depressing evening this is the last kind of news they need to hear...
    It was a good gig!

This is perfect timing really. As they say, always go out leaving the audience wanting more, and he really is going to go out while he's still at the peak of his popularity. I can't fault the timing at all- we've got a few months I suspect of speculation of both how he will go and who will suceed him in the role, time for all the ridiculous rumours to be trotted out (Russell Brand indeed! Ha! I'd stop watching ) and this builds an incredible amount of publicity/ interest in the specials next year. Just look at the publicity generated by the possible-regeneration in The Stolen Earth cliffhanger.... imagine what it's going to be like when he really goes...

As someone said, it'll be interesting to see how the kids take this. Tennant has been their Doctor and whoever takes over from him is going to have a tough job, but the show will go on and I'm sure they'll all be won over, or they face the prospect of growing up like Ralph (sorry couldn't resist!).

So the tenth Doctor's days are numbered... I think I'll miss him, but there'll be another one along soon and I'll probably like him too!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm really quite sad; it feels like the end of an era. I think we all maybe had secret hopes that he might just stay and stay and rival Tom, but I think Si's right - three years is the optimum time for a Doctor Who, and he's served with dignity and done us proud. I think given a good dose of time and hindsight, Tennant could well be remembered as one of the great Doctors.

Si.

It was funny, when I read your text last night Si, I wasn't sad at all- it just seemed the right time for him to be off. And at least this time, they've done it right, compared to Eccleston.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The Hoosiers were very enjoyable. They're a bit eclectic though, they're for people who enjoy things like 'fun' and 'tunes' and 'pop'. :P

The show thrives on change. They said it couldn't work after Billie left, but we got Catherine Tate eventually. And Freema was actually excellent as a companion. It's only when she's turned up again that I've found Martha (the character rather than the actress) annoying.

Tennant could be a bit over the top occasionally, but he *was* the Doctor, 100%.

The only disappointment is that we won't get a Moffat/ Tennant season, which would ha been interesting.

Just look at the publicity generated by the possible-regeneration in The Stolen Earth cliffhanger....
    That's turned out to be a great way of testing the waters and alerting the younger fans to the idea that Tennant isn't going to be around forever.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It was funny, when I read your text last night Si, I wasn't sad at all- it just seemed the right time for him to be off. And at least this time, they've done it right, compared to Eccleston.
    I didn't either! Then today I thought back to that moment in "Parting of the Ways" when he first appeared, all big hair and wild eyes, when the journey was ahead of us. And now it's going to be over. The Tennant Years are coming to a close! I think we'll miss him.

Si.

Wayne Guest

I've still got a bit of champagne left if anyone wants any.

No?

Same here - I made sure they'd be enough for a long party - more is chilling at home as we speak. I'll try and remember to bring some down for the meet

I'm cheered up after all these recent dreary DVD releases
    Last edited by Ralph; 30th Oct 2008 at 10:50 AM.