Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

I've noticed most of your posts say "I thought of saying that well before you" or "I was going to post about this the other day" or words to that effect at some point

That's why my post rate has dropped dramatically this year. I'm getting lazy.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    You mean I'm not Pertwee enough?
    No you're just far too cherubic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Oi! McCow! Leave her alone!

I'd tap that.

Squeak the word!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

See, I'm worried now. Steven Moffatt wrote all the scariest episodes, right? So if he's the new RTD, they might as well televise the New Adventures. I mean, I really liked episodes like Smith & Jones, Partners in Crime and Stolen Earth/Journey's End. Now knowing that there aren't going to be any more light-hearted episodes just worries me. A lot.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

I don't think that just because Steven Moffat has written "the scary episodes" so far that all his stories and the whole show will necessarily be like that too. He's written comedy, comedy-drama far more than he's written scary stuff in his career, after all.

I think he knows the format and knows that good Doctor Who can be many things. As long as he never makes another story as boring as Blink I'll be grateful.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

That's a weird style of logic there SP. Just because Moffatt wrote 'scary' episodes does not mean that every writer will copy him & write scary stuff as well. Moffatt isn't writing every episode y'know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    . Moffatt isn't writing every episode y'know.

but it will be interesting to see how many episodes he will write per season RTD,was writing 5 or 6 episodes per season and I'd not be at all suprised to seeing moff doing the same.

Captain Tancredi Guest

A colleague was leafing through one of the celebrity magazines this lunchtime and evidently reading something connected to this story because she suddenly opined, "I hate Doctor Who. It's the worst thing on the telly".

I was briefly tempted to emulate the Major from Fawlty Towers and say "No, I won't have it- I watched an episode of My Family the other week which was utter bilge". Then I reflected that I'd met Peter Davison a good two years before this colleague was even born.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    I was briefly tempted to emulate the Major from Fawlty Towers and say "No, I won't have it- I watched an episode of My Family the other week which was utter bilge".
    "Robert Lindsay? Vermin, Fawlty!"

A few more horror episodes isn't nesseccarily a bad thing, said Philip Hinchclife Fan of West Essex, 38. And even that era had The Android Invasion to break up the mood a bit. I can't see the series going too far down that road, he replied, thinking of the Terror Of The Autons and Deadly Assassin furores.

Steven Morefat needs to get down with the killing! RTD killed more characters in The End of The World than Moffat managed in all his episodes! How can we cope with Doctor Who without it's Saturday death-count?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    How can we cope with Doctor Who without it's Saturday death-count?

like a nice blood bath do we mr mcow..

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    See, I'm worried now. Steven Moffatt wrote all the scariest episodes, right? So if he's the new RTD, they might as well televise the New Adventures. I mean, I really liked episodes like Smith & Jones, Partners in Crime and Stolen Earth/Journey's End. Now knowing that there aren't going to be any more light-hearted episodes just worries me. A lot.
    I don't know which part of this post confuses me more; the peculiar logic of the argument that Moffat's tenure will consist of solely scary stories or the inference that The Stolen Earth and Journey's End were light-hearted...

WhiteCrow Guest

Tennant is out - Obama is in.

Surely the next Doctor has to be black now.

It's a shame he's already been in Doctor Who, but I recon Colin Salmon would be good ...

Wayne Guest

So long he's not American.

from Jeff

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

from Jeff
    Someone at the BBC hears "we should get someone like Barack Obama as the next Doctor Who". An exec overhears this as "we should get BA Baracus".

Cue regeneration ...

Reasons why Mr T would work as the next Doctor,

1) He has awful dress sense
    2) He has enough gold to cut dead a platoon of Cybermen
    3) His van always seemed bigger on the inside
    4) Although he DID fire a lot of guns, he's never actually shot anyone. Despite being a crack soldier.
    5) He's down with the kids.

Mr T would also fit the bill as an older, irrascible Doctor now.

Although he would have to knock himself unconcious every time the TARDIS wanted to fly somewhere. "I ain't GOIN' in NO TARDIS you CRAZY fool!"

WhiteCrow Guest

"Davros! I pity the fool, with his jive-ass punk Daleks!"

"Pi-ty ... it is not in my vocab ..."

As the Dalek explains, he's sucker punched in the eyestalk by Doctor T. He's later recaptured by the Daleks, who lock him up in a workshop, where he builds an armoured tank using his Sonic Oxy Acetylene Torch.

so it's a big no to eddie murphy then..

so it's a big no to eddie murphy then..
    Here's hoping it's a 1,000,000 tonne, titanic, intergalactic MEGA-NO to Eddie Murphy!!!!

I think the prospect of Moffatt writing scary episodes is the least of our worries. I'm far more concerned about other trends in his episodes, such as the silly obsession with bananas, the constant fan-baiting nods to things like the Doctor being married/sleeping around etc. and a kind of overboard schmaltz that means no-one ever has to die in his stories.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

I dunno Si. Personally I loved Moffats stories. And I hope he doesn't feel pressurised to change his style for his penned stories.

However I agree, I hope other writers don't start trying to emulate what he's done cos he's now in charge. That would be kind of rubbish.

Brand new producer, brand new Doctor. Kind of exciting and nervy. You kind of want it to be bold and new, but at the same time, keeping what works. It feels like a tortuous wait of another 18 months to find if lightning can strike again.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I. It feels like a tortuous wait of another 18 months to find if lightning can strike again.

well next season could be crunch time for Doctor Who. if Moffat, continues where RTD left off and the programm continues to be popular and the viewer ratings remain high then Doctor Who's future will be assured for a good few more seasons yet. How ever if the viewer ratings start to drop off and the critics/fans start to pan the show the powers that be at the BBC might just start to question if Doctor Who has any future with out Rtd.

WhiteCrow Guest

Yup - quite unfairly I call it "Colin Baker syndrome" Larry.

Which is kind of unfair as I really like Colin Baker, but by the time he became the Doctor the series had lost a lot of it's quality.

from Jeff
    No, I'm in agreement with this.