Default 2.4 Mark Of The Beserker

I actually thought that even with no Sarah, and no monsters, this managed to be the best Episode of the series so far. A lovely simple premise, a sinister posession-like object and a really decent performance from Paul from Eastenders as...er... Paul Langer thrown in. You just felt like saying "noooo...." when Cylde trusted him with the secrets of Sarah's attic.

Very enjoyable so far.

Si.

I enjoyed it too. Clyyyyyde is easily my favourite character. I wasn't over impressed with Paul Fromeastenders. I'm sure he got the emphasis wrong on the line about trading cards.

Brilliant! I thoroughly enjoyed that story and it just goes to show how great all the kids are in the show as they carried the story very well indeed.
    Simon was right about the trading cards line, as it didn't come across quite right, but otherwise Clyde's Dad was well played- especially as the story progresses in part 2. His Mum was wonderful too- I hope we get to see more of her. The relationship between her and Clyde was lovely and warm.

Thsi seemed to be full of the themes I've noticed throughout Joe's work, especially a close study of somewhat dysfunctional families. And I know we don't talk about the stuff Joe writes very often here, but I think it was by far the best written and best characterised story of the season so far.

And it was really good to see the surprise return of Maria and Alan, which was very unexpected. It's great to see they've not been forgotten!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Agreed, Si. This is the best of the season, as I thought it would be from episode 1.
    It never suffered from Sarah Jane not being in it much & I didn't miss Mr Smith at all. In fact it was nice to see people doing all the work for once. Nice to see UNIT get a name check.

May be it bodes well for future episodes?

Wayne Guest

I thought it was a good story, but i did miss Sarah. She's the only reason i watch it really.

This was a far superior bit of writing than usual - not that the others have been bad, but this was a slice of proper grown-up material for the kids. The final scene between Clyde and his Dad was beautiful. The make-up as he turned into a Beserker was really good too, and quite frightening.

My only qualms were that 'reminding him who he was' was a bit of an easy way out, and also I didn't quite understand how Clyde got his memories back when the pendant was removed, yet presumably his Mum continued to forget about his life with SJ after it was thrown in the river.

The stuff hacking into UNIT was a bit 'dumb science' but it's a staple of New Who and you can see why they did it. Finally a word on the location work at the marina, which made this episode seem really fresh and vibrant.

So with the superior themes and content, this was the best episode of the season so far, even though SJ was largely absent.

As for next week - yike, the Trickster's back!

Si.

Oh and hooray for the mention of Terror of the Auton's fictional town Tarminster!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    this was the best episode of the season so far, even though SJ was largely absent.
    Agreed. A few plot-holes as mentioned, but the last five minutes really made up for any of that. Clyde really is the strongest thing in this show, imo, and he seems to grow with every story.

I also liked how Clyde's dad was motivated from genuine, and quite believable motives.

Really nice surprise to see the return of Maria and her Dad, which I didn't expect.

As for next week - yike, the Trickster's back!

Si.
    Yes, good stuff, although I saw it coming from how the episode ended.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Yes, good stuff, although I saw it coming from how the episode ended.
    Well his face being in the "Next Time" trailer WAS a bit of a give-away.

Si.

The last time I checked, the "Next Time" bit usually comes after the end of the episode.....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    This was a far superior bit of writing than usual - not that the others have been bad, but this was a slice of proper grown-up material for the kids. The final scene between Clyde and his Dad was beautiful. The make-up as he turned into a Beserker was really good too, and quite frightening.

My only qualms were that 'reminding him who he was' was a bit of an easy way out, and also I didn't quite understand how Clyde got his memories back when the pendant was removed, yet presumably his Mum continued to forget about his life with SJ after it was thrown in the river.
    This sums up my feelings on the episode as well...

I've only seen part 1 so far, but really enjoyed it. Whether it was just because of SJS' absence, but the whole pace of it felt slightly different - totally watchable (he added quickly) but a slightly more measured pace to the episode. After the high-octane opener, that is, which really started the story off with a bang. Full marks to, particularly, matey who plays Clyde, but also to, erm, whatsername who plays Rani - that "you want me to die?" moment with her Dad, was so well done, the realisation & the shock on her face was all it needed, perfectly written, perfectly played.

Looking forward to part 2 tomorrow!!

Wonderful episode. I had high hopes for this story as soon as I saw the writer name's on screen (his previous script for Torchwood A Day in the Death is probably my favourite of S2) and I'm glad that this didn't disappoint.

I sincerely hope Joseph Lidster is among the writers for series 5.

Watched part 2 yesterday afternoon, and I must say it was really excellent. Nice to see SJS appear at the end in a sort of iconic 'here comes the cavalry' kind of way. It's been an interesting story, the absence of Sarah-Jane allowing the other regulars even more of a chance to shine. Clyde in particular (of course) was excellent.

I enjoyed the whole thing, but just want to single out two things:

First is the moment where Clyde's dad pulls back Clyde's photo to reveal the ultrasound picture, and admits he ran away (again!) because of how bad a dad he was. It was a very strong moment, and made even better by Clyde not just giving him some wishy-washy, "Na, you're OK, Dad" answer - the "You're right, I don't need you" bit was superb.

Second is the simple line where the Dad threatens to order Mum/Luke/Rani to walk into the water. It's just such a simple bit of dialogue, but with a whole image & world of horror behind it - you can easily imagine, how terrifying that would have been. It's a bit like the line last week when Rani's dad says "You want me to die?" and you can just extrapolate the horror of what could happen. Really simple dialogue, but very chilling and the sort of stuff that stays with you.