Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thanks Dave! It wasn't just our reviews in the end!

Just before we turn our attention to Atom Heart Mother (and I seriously can't wait!), It's worth noting the Zabriskie Point soundtrack. Although Pink Floyd have only three songs (and one of them is a Careful With That Axe, Eugene remake) one of these songs is Crumbling Land. In which they sound like a Crosby, Still & Nash band with a chorus straight from A Saucerful Of Secrets. This is the best sound quality of the song I could find on youtube. It's not 6.14, it's two minutes shorter than that, the video was badly edited. And yes, this is another one for my Echoes best of!
    Enjoy!
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eCY1Po74jAU

Default Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs

Alas, in my mission to review everything Pink Floyd have officially released, I've not been able to get hold of the Zabriskie Point soundtrack in time to review it in context. Hopefully, though, I'll be able to take a look at it later on.

In the meantime, it's time to take another slight sidestep, and take the first brief look at the solo releases, starting with the Floyd's errant former leader...

Syd Barrett
    THE MADCAP LAUGHS

Harvest SHVL 765
    Released 3 January 1970 (UK only)
    Highest UK Chart Position: 40 (1 week on chart)

SIDE ONE

1. Terrapin
    2. No Good Trying
    3. Love You
    4. No Man's Land
    5. Dark Globe
    6. Here I Go

SIDE TWO

1. Octopus
    2. Golden Hair
    3. Long Gone
    4. She Took A Long Cold Look
    5. Feel
    6. If It's In You
    7. Late Night

All composed by Syd Barrett
    Engineers: Jeff Jarratt, Pete Mew, Mike Sheady, Phil McDonald and Tony Clark
    Produced by David Gilmour and Roger Waters except * by Malcolm Jones
    The lyric for Golden Hair is from a poem by James Joyce. Permission for use granted by the Society of Authors, literary representatives for the estate of James Joyce.
    Sleeve Design and photography by Hipgnosis

Persuaded back into the studio in mid-1969, The Madcap Laughs was Syd Barrett’s first recorded work in nearly two years, and the change in style is really quite startling. The songs are less whimsical, the lyrics more elusive, and the production much less elaborate: many of the tracks feature just Barrett and his guitar, and his voice is notably less assured, more fragile than that to which we have been used. However, he is given ample support throughout, notably from David Gilmour and Roger Waters who co-produced the album, following initial recording sessions with Pink Floyd associate Peter Jenner and Harvest label boss Malcolm Jones; backing Barrett, Gilmour’s former Joker’s Wild bandmate Willie Wilson provides bass, alongside Humble Pie drummer Jerry Shirley (as well as the uncredited members of Floyd contemporaries, The Soft Machine), but the makeshift band are often heard struggling to keep in time with the erratic songsmith – listen, for example, to the otherwise excellent No Good Trying, the atmospheric album closer Late Night, and the record’s best and most enduring track, Octopus – released as a single in November 1969, this upbeat blast of surrealism skips along pleasingly, and sees something of a return to the Piper vintage Barrett. Elsewhere, Terrapin is a pleasingly laid-back opener. However, the album is not always so amiable: the melancholy Dark Globe and the masterful, yet menacing Long Gone offer darker visions, while Barrett’s eerie take on James Joyce’s poem Golden Hair is nothing short of genius. But it’s on three tracks on the record’s second side where things get really scary: sounding like little more than demos, She Took A Long Cold Look, Feel and If It’s In You seem to record Barrett’s breakdown in cold, stark stereo, his voice actually failing him altogether during the opening of the latter track. These three tracks are incredibly difficult to listen to, and it seems somewhat cruel to have included them in this form, but throughout the album, Barrett is, at best, a little rusty anyway; at worst, like here, he seems to be losing his already fragile grasp of his sanity completely. But for all its disturbing psychological insights, The Madcap Laughs occasionally sounds way ahead of its time and manages to offer a few more glimpses of a lost genius before his complete withdrawal. Syd Barrett would ‘enjoy’ one last hurrah before the year was out, but he would never appear so ‘naked’ as he does here. 3.5 out of 5

Last edited by Dave Tudor; 10th Jan 2009 at 1:39 PM.

Another fantastic review Dave however brief, and I'm glad it's not just me who finds the acoustic trilogy uncomfortable.
    Still doesn't explain how Opel and Swan Lee were left off the record?
    If you are risking spending and shopping tomorrow, can I advise whoever to try to get The Madcap Laughs before Ummagumma please? (Atom Heat Mother over Madcap Laughs however)

I do have a copy of The Madcap Laughs, but I'm generally too scared to listen to it.

I agree that it's far better than Ummagumma though. It's got songs that could be singles on it! Which would have been weird in 1970 - to think that Pink Floyd had lost their way, but Syd Barrett was still a capable songwriter. Certainly by 1975 that would be turned on it's head, sadly.

Anyway - time to turn our attentions to the next Floyd album....
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

atom heart mother

ESSENTIAL INFORMATION
    Recorded at Abbey Road in London during May - August 1970.
    Released October 10th 1970. (October seems to be the month for Pink Floyd releases!)
    Highest UK Chart Position – No.1.
    Lulubelle III makes her debut appearance on this album cover, which is also her swansong appearance. Appropriately enough, the cover shows both the face and arse of the cow. A rejected cover showed a speedo-wearing diver about to land in a pool of water.

TRACK LIST
    SIDE A
    Atom Heart Mother (Gilmour, Mason, Wright, Waters, Ron Geesin) – 23:44

SIDE B
    If (Waters) – 4:31
    Summer '68 (Wright) – 5:29
    Fat Old Sun (Gilmour) – 5:24
    Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast (Gilmour, Waters, Wright, Mason) – 13:00

HOT LINKS
    Lyrics - http://pinkfloydhyperbase.dk/albums/atom.htm
    Inevitable Wiki – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_Heart_Mother
    The far better Pink Floyd & Co Link - http://pinkfloyd-co.com/disco/ahm/ahm_album.html
    Unused Web Domain http://www.atomheartmother.co.uk/
    Yes, they took an orchestra with them to play the title track live – http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MUUw3TimAFA
    Good grief! It was resurrected in 2008! – http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U4mrwq...eature=related
    Bit of an obvious vid for Alan http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lqnm8E...eature=related

OTHER ALBUMS OF 1970
    Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs
    Genesis – Trespass (released 2 weeks after Atom Heart Mother!)
    Barbara Streisand - On A Clear Day You Can See Forever
    Black Sabbath – Paranoid
    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young – Déjà vu
    Deep Purple – Deep Purple In Rock
    John Lennon – John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band
    George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
    Simon and Garfunkel – Bridge Over Troubled Water
    The Beatles - Let It Be
    The Stooges – Fun House
    Derek & the Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs (banalananannow.)
    Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin III
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer – Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    The Velvet Underground – Loaded
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I've had the LP version since early 90's and last heard it over the weekend at a friends being played through a blu-ray player. Hear the album through that if you have one!

Side One

ATOM HEART MOTHERFathers Shout

Space rock, birdsong and now a brass band. My only real classical references are themes to television programmes. So the starting brass sound like those The Natural World/Time Trumpet programmes. And then we get Blake's 7. Blake's 7 ripped this off!

Breasty Milk

And the violin is pure Brain of Morbius! and it's not even 5 minutes in! Rick Wright provides some tight organ broken chords and David Gimour slides up from the mess of the More Theme to show how the padwan has mastered slide.

Mother Fore

The choirs are bought in gently one sex at a time and provide a choir that walks from the cathedral and becomes more tense and gothic as the drums, brass and guitar go out of the picture for this piece. How much of this was written by Ron Geesin anyway? I'm guessing Geesin had a hand in the choirs "libretto"? The drums come back and the choir becomes more primal as it makes it's way to the jazz club up the cover cow's arse.

Funky Dung

Gilmour moment of the week! Even Roger provides a convincing funk ! No wah wah, no echo, just reverb and a slight overdrive through an amp that sounds all the way up to 11!
    The choir come back to egg him on to come back and play and who can blame them? The sound of 70's guitar can be heard here. The choir in rapture wail nonsensical before the brass cue to return to the Blake's 7 tune.

Mind Your Throats Please

Mind Your Throats because Quicksilver tastes awful so they say? This is the closest thing on the album to Music From The Body, Roger and Ron's collaboration soundtrack. Very strong Geesin influence but Hyde Park or no Hyde Park, this must have been a chore to sit through live! In fact I now have the image of Nick Mason going for a quick piss when this was performed live...

Remergence

Basically the best bits of what we've just heard. This section alone goes on my Echoes as everything that's any good about Atom Heart Mother is given an outing for the final time. Tight musicianship building to a climax that sums up the early 70's. There was a story after it was finished, after Ron Geesin had a nervous breakdown dealing with booze loving brass band members, after they realised the middle half of the bass and drums lags behind (although I can't hear it?), someone was reported to have said "Well that was a good demo, can we record the proper version now?"

Side Two

IF

It doesn't really matter if it tops the charts or wedding vows get torn apart in church?
    'Cos it's only a Waters song!
    or The One Where Roger Waters Was Never Considered Lead Singer Material.
    I don't know if this is trying to be a tender song? I think it sound insincere, as if Roger could crack up laughing any second? Around the time of Atom Heart Mother's release "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was released so the lyrical standard had to go up. And of course putting the kibosh (is that the word? what the hell does that phrase mean?) on "Roger Waters tendersides...in SONG!!!" solo album he could have been planning?

Summer '68

One of my top three Richard Wright tunes. "How do you feel? How do you feel? Ahhhhh" is the albums strongest refrain and before you mention brass, it turns out Rick is playing the brass parts on a type of keyboard I've forgotten the name of. Possibly mellotron but I think it's a different design of keyboard? Too long for Top Of The Pops, but on this song they get pop spot on. My Echoes compilation this one's going to be put on.

Fat Old Sun

Around 2001 David Gilmour admitted he pushed for Fat Old Sun to be included on Echoes. I've not heard how he plays it live these days. This is the last of the pastoral organic Floyd songs.The bells chime for the new marriage between Pink Floyd and the mainstream public!...I'll give it six weeks...

Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast

a) Rise and Shine

Firstly, if he's that wasted, how can he make his breakfast? I didn't know this was a real person, I thought it was Nick Mason. There is much comedy in the matches striking up the band and the piano that melts off into at least 3 more piano lines on top of it is a good musical impression of pot bubbles softly raining down on your head and suddenly everything's there to notice and there's so many things to do today! There are so many plans!

b) Sunny Side Up

What was I saying about plans? The kettle distracted me. I have now forgotten what I was just thinknig about and can just about to manage the food. Liquid. Need liquid. Good guitar work on this, if pedestrian. Music for sitting down to. Hope you enjoyed those kids education programmes when you were younger? The ones which were usually someone painting a gate or making something? This is the sort of thing they'd play on the soundtrack. Reelaax! Zombie moment and most likely to test the sober. Although Alan isn't talking as much shite as you would do.

c) Morning Glory

Yes, I will take this over the Oasis namesake! A final matchbox session and just like Atom Heart Mother herself, this is a group performance on some of the earlier tunes. I think they should just have had this song for the whole of this piece as it's the highlight of Alan's Psychedeilic Breakfast and a fantastic, soulful ending to the album. Makes up the third song from this album I'll take for Echoes.

The Verdict

The tradional concern is Atom Heart Mother is worthy but inconsistant and Meddle is the first of their great post-Barrett works.
    I say Atom Heart Mother is the first in the unbroken chain of top mark Pink Floyd albums until 1977. From the next album on, Pink Floyd would aim for a more transatlantic sound mix (despite still using trademark English lyrics) than this. It's the last of their undenialbly British albums, more so than Dark Side Of The Moon.
    This is a Pink Floyd no longer in headless chicken panic or kneeling down at the crotch of film directors or Columbia records. This is a band who are calling the shots and a live performance of Atom Heart Mother alone would be worth paying to see. Play it back to back with The Wall to see how Pink Floyd pwn'd the 1970's!

5 out of 5
    Last edited by Dino; 10th Jan 2009 at 6:08 PM.

Default Picnic - A Breath of Fresh Air (Embryo)

What a fab, enthusiastic review!

I've always really liked Atom Heart Mother myself, despite the criticism it receives - I think it's one of Pink Floyd's most underrated albums. However, I've not listened to it for a few years, so I'm looking forward to giving it another spin in the next week or so. In the meantime, I'd just like to take another side step, to examine an unusual item in the Pink Floyd back catalogue...

PICNIC
    a breath of fresh air

Harvest SHSS 1/2
    Released June 1970
    Highest UK Chart Position: n/a

SIDE ONE

1. Into The Fire – Deep Purple
    2. Mother Dear – Barclay James Harvest
    3. Embryo – Pink Floyd
    4. Twisted Track – The Battered Ornaments
    5. Glenlogie – Shirley & Dolly Collins

SIDE TWO

1. The Good Mr. Square – The Pretty Things
    2. Song Of The Ages – Roy Harper
    3. This Worried Feeling – Bakerloo
    4. Eleanor’s Cake Which Ate Her – Kevin Ayers
    5. Again and Again – The Greatest Show On Earth

SIDE THREE

1. Water – Third Ear Band
    2. Terrapin – Syd Barrett
    3. A Glade Somewhere – Forest
    4. Golden Country Kingdom – Pete Brown and Piblokto!
    5. Round And Round – Panama Limited

SIDE FOUR

1. Black Sheep Of The Family – Quatermass
    2. Postcards of Scarborough – Michael Chapman
    3. Maybe My Mind (With Egg) – Tea & Symphony
    4. Old Gopher – Edgar Broughton Band

Cover Design & Photos by Hipgnosis

During the late 1960s and early 1970s, it was common practice for record labels, such as Island for instance, to release sampler records, showcasing the best artists, both old and new, from their stable. As the burgeoning underground and progressive scenes grew, many major labels established their own labels dedicated to this new, alternative sound, notably Decca’s Deram subsidiary, Philips’ Vertigo label, and, perhaps the most famous of all, EMI Harvest. Established by Malcolm Jones in June 1969, Harvest were quick to sign some of the best, most innovative alternative acts in Britain, notably Pink Floyd. However, the less-than-radio-friendly nature of the music often recorded by these artists, coupled with the general reluctance of progressive bands to put out singles, meant that Harvest had to try other means to get their repertory heard by a reluctant record-buying public, and so, in June 1970, the first of two sampler discs to be released by Harvest (the other being 1971’s The Harvest Bag) – the double LP Picnic – A Breath of Fresh Air. The album is an interesting but accurate reflection of the label’s output at that time, boasting an eclectic mix of rock (Deep Purple, The Pretty Things), folk (Shirley & Dolly Collins, Forest), avant-garde (Third Ear Band) and the downright strange and obscure (Tea & Symphony, Panama Limited), as well as showcasing such cult heroes as Roy Harper, Kevin Ayers, Pete Brown, Michael Chapman, Barclay James Harvest and the Edgar Broughton Band - even Syd Barrett makes an appearance. In among these weird and wonderful acts are none other than Pink Floyd, without a doubt the label’s biggest name, yet still some way from achieving enormous success. However, rather than including a track from the previous year’s Ummagumma, or a taster from the forthcoming album to represent the Floyd, Harvest elected to choose Embryo, an unfinished recording from the Ummagumma sessions. The track’s release was unauthorised by the band, and because of this (and naturally limited sales), Picnic was eventually withdrawn and deleted. Like most of Harvest’s early output, Picnic is extremely collectable, although it is not as difficult to pick up as certain other albums, some of which can fetch over £100. Also, many of the tracks featured on Picnic appear on the excellent 1999 five-disc box set Harvest Festival, as well as 2007’s 3-CD Harvest – A Breath Of Fresh Air (which also includes Embryo). Embryo itself would later appear on the Floyd’s 1983 US compilation Works, but it is on Picnic where it truly belongs – an oddity surrounded by other oddities, and yet somewhat overshadowed by some brilliant, and criminally neglected music.

EMBRYO (Waters) 4.38

Originally intended for inclusion on Ummagumma, Roger Waters’ spooky Embryo features a sparse, eerie arrangement, slightly reminiscent of several tracks from the More soundtrack, and also the earlier Julia Dream. Featuring only the minimum of backing behind Gilmour’s softly-sung vocals, it’s easy to see why the band objected to Embryo’s release, the track sounding half-finished. However, it certainly shows promise, and certainly in concert, where the song was performed between 1970 and 1971, it proved something of a highlight, extended to nine minutes and featuring a strong group performance (there was a particularly good version recorded live for BBC Radio 1). However, this particular recording soon runs out of steam (the voices of what sound like refugees from Several Species of Small Furry Animals... don’t help)and, although it would have been interesting to have heard what the band may have made from this work-in-progress, Embryo remains simply a rarely heard curiosity.

Ummagumma: The album

Sysyphus (Wright)
    Part 1
    It sounds quite portentous, with big chords and ominous drumming. Not bad, comparitively, and is thankfully short.
    Part 2 *
    Piano noodling. Sounds quite nice, but very quickly you begin to feel that this isn't going to go anywhere. It's almost random playing, especially around the 2 minute mark where it suddenly just become lots of random stabs at the keys and crashing about. Soon outstays its welcome. The last minute is awful. I could do better and I can't play the piano.
    Part 3 *1/2
    A slightly better, slightly menacing piece, but the promise soon deteriorates into silly noises and screeching. *sigh* At least it's short.
    Part 4 *
    Stars quite nicely. Then it just goes on and on. Until suddenly it gets all loud, but not in a good way. then it meanders on some more for a while before the start theme comes back and then thankfully it's all over. Not a good start to the album.

Grantchester Meadows (Waters) **1/2
    Sweet birdsong overpowers some lovely pastoral guitar and gentle singing. It's quite evocative, but again seems rather aimless. Maybe that'sthe point, to create a scene? Compared to the Sysphus, this is great, but on most other albums it would be very much in the second division.

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict (Waters)
    Oh dear. This is a very silly track. Marks are given for experimenting with tape tracks. Marks are taken away for the Scottish accent, the utter pointlessness of the track all round. It's probably about 31/2 minutes too long.

SIDE B
    The Narrow Way (Gilmour)

Part 1 ***
    Ooh! Some rather lovely guitar, reminscent of some of Gilmour's playing on More. Immediately this is better than anything we've heard so far. It probably doesn't need the rather intrusive effects we hear all the way through, as the guitar is good enough on it's own without it.

Part 2 **
    And then part 2 is swamped by the effects and I begin to lose patience with it all.

Part 3
    Ooh singing again! Hooray. This is quite nice, sahme that most of the voacls are buried in the mix and you can't make out what Dave is singing about some of the time. But I like it, and I can't say that too often on this album. It sounds like Pink Floyd. That's a good thing too.

The Grand Vizier's Garden Party (Mason)
    Part 1: Entrance
    **1/2
    The flute is ok and fits with the pastoral mood of some bits of the album.

Part 2: Entertainment
    Then drums, drums, more drums. And more. It's ok, if you like drums. However, I think 7 minutes of drums is a bit much. It's quite skillful in places, especially the last minute, but really, what were they thinking?

Part 3: Exit
    Flutes and we're off. It wasn't much of a party.

How do you sum that up? Artwank? Self indulgent noodling? A band in dire need of some sort of direction? Whatever, it's not a good album. It's not coherent or more importantly it's not enjoyable to listen to. It's their worst effort all round and not one I'll be revisiting very often I can tell you.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

"The Pirates" is his best I think.

Si.

The Live Album

Astronomy Domine
    A good version of the song I think- great band performance. Don't know that there's much more to say other than it's still a good song and they can certainly play it well.

Careful with That Axe, Eugene
    Was the screaming a good idea? It's difficult to say. This hangs together really well and shows that the band can work together really when they want to. You know, I think this is the first time I've heard this song. it's nothing special, but it's miles better than most of what's on Ummagumma.

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
    Again, there's not much I can say about this, except that it's a very polished version of the album track. In fact it's quite possibly better than the album track itself. You get a glimpse here of a band that have played these songs a great deal and really worked to make them sound great live.

A Saucerful of Secrets (Something Else, Syncopated Pandemonium, Storm Signal, Celestial Voices)
    Again this seems to me to be rather better than the album version, despite sharing all the faults I levelled at it when I reviewed the album. I still really like the last section with the organ and guitar working together. They seem to have really got that together.

So a nice little curio that probably makes Ummagumma worth buying. A good snapshot of the band at this point in their career, leaving the slate clean to move on and do something more interesting. Thank goodness they did!

Si xx

I agree Si, though the cover of Geri Halliwell's "Bag It Up" was a really bad idea I think.

Si.

Quiet YOU!

Si xx

Oh Mr Hunt, we have GOT to force you to listen to the whole of Ummagumma! It'll open new worlds for you!

No! You can't! No-one deserves that kind of punishment.

Si xx

So it's just Dave Tudor and me who like "Several species..."?
    Glad to see the live album at least getting a good write up!

Oh Mr Hunt, we have GOT to force you to listen to the whole of Ummagumma! It'll open new worlds for you!
    I think I'm busy that day!

Si.

Atom Heart Mother

We bought Atom Heart Mother one rainy Saturday afternoon last October. It was one of a plie of Floyd CDs we bought that day and was the first one I played. I'm not sure why, probably something to do with the cow... Anyway, of all the early albums this is the one I keep coming back too...

Atom Heart Mother *****
    I don't really know where the seperate bits start and stop, so I'll have to try and review the whole piece, but how do you review a 23 minute track? Not easy, but the short answer for this one is I LOVE it! No really, for me this is an out and out classic! I love the main theme as heard at the start and the way it weaves in and out of the track before its absolutely triumphant return at the end of the track. I love the mix of the orchestra and the slide guitar (hooray for Gilmour) and the choir too make it special. Even the bits that should be annoying like the choir's silly made up words bits or the motorbike sound effect or the random organ stabs/ silence in the studio bit actually seem to fit here. They really know what they're doing, finally.
    One thing I like about the track is there always seems to be something new to hear in it, which is I suppose one of the joys of a 23 minute track.
    Dave Gilmour keeps stealing the track with his brilliant guitar pieces though and the emergence of some classic Pink Floyd sounds too.
    I'm glad they didn't try another track quite like this again, with the archestra and the choir, because this is so good, it would be a case of diminishing returns. Perhaps they relaised after this that less is more and would do epic tracks, but rather stripped down, with just the band's standard instrumentation used instead... we'll see, eh?
    One of my favourite Pink Floyd tracks now.

If ***1/5
    It's rather nice to hear the tender side of Pink Floyd here. That's not something you can always say comes across in Roger Walters' work! I love the gentle acoustic guitar which again harks back to the stuff on Ummagumma and More. The lyrics are simple, but suit the music and there's a few lovely little turns of phrase that make it worth a listen.

Summer '68 ****
    What I like about this song is the way it fools you into thinking it's going to be another quiet reflective one, but then Rick hammers the piano and almost screams "How does it feel?" and you're suddenly wide awake and paying attention.
    There's a bitterness in the lyrics that amuses me- Rick sounds so curmudgeonly! This is so overlooked. It's another moment of triumph in what I feel is a strong album.

Fat Old Sun****
    Dave's voice sounds so fragile and quiet here, almost as if he's a little embarrassed by this lovely little, quiet song. He shouldn't be, it's another winner. I'm glad he's resurrected for his live shows now, because it deserves to be heard. Just lovely.

Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast ****
    Hmm, well, for a while I thought this was a return to the noodling indulgence of previous Floyd albums, but there's something rather charming about this. Perhaps it's because it's taking something ordinary and putting a spin on it, with some nice music added to the mix. I like the bubbling piano lines and the use of household sounds throighout to keep it grounded, alomg with, again some gorgeous acoustic and slide guitar while Alan eats. The last part is a fantastic group effort and makes it all worthwhile. Great stuff.

One of the joys of an endevour like this is that often you'll find buried away in a band's back catalogue something that takes you by surprise. This has been the one for me. After Piper and Saucer and Ummagumma, I'd have written them off, but this album comes along and suddenly I'm really paying attention. At last, Pink Floyd have produced an album I truly love!

Of all their early work, this is the one I keep coming back to. In fact I'm rather surprised at the way it's been dismissed in the "official" history of Pink Floyd. It's rather unfair I think. They've learnt to play as a band, and to write songs. There's still some self indulgence, but it's good because it works here.
    5/5!

Si xx

Atom Heart Mother

Bought last year in HMV's 2 for £10 sale.

(If I haven't listed the tracks/parts below then that because there is nothing about the track that I want to comment on.
    I simply don't want to force myself to write something just for the sake of it.
    This goes for subsequent reviews as well.
    Hope you understand.)

Atom Heart Mother, Fathers Shout
    The repeating phrase could be made into James Bond theme; it certainly has a loud anthemic quality that
    The use of notes not in the key used (I'm can't find the right term for this!) sometimes gives the piece a minor jarring sound, something that might wake the listener up .

Atom Heart Mother, Funky Dung (I think)
    When there is a really strong discord, I wonder if they were trying to annoy the listener or experimenting and hoping that it would sound cool?

Has anyone tried any of the recipes?
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Phil...your just not feeling it!

Obviously my positive review was no inspiration.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by Phil L View Post
    Has anyone tried any of the recipes?
    Marmalade, I like marmalade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    Marmalade, I like marmalade.
    What about the camels in the desert?

Go on, tell me someone's done that!
    Always have an Edge

I've got an electronic copy of Zabriskie Point
    Always have an Edge

I haven't spent my black economy cash on "More" or "Ummagumma" so I'm umable to give an opinion of either. I've always thought the idea of them sounded mildly dissapointing, but as I don't own a copy of them I'll have to leave it there for now. My point is, they never sounded like wasting money on, and they're not often cheap.

I own "The Madcap Laughs" and quite like it. "Atom Heart Mother" is one I haven't listened to for a while. There may be reasons for that. I'll make sure I remind myself by the end of the weeek and get back to you!

I always think Summer of 68 sounds like The Jim'll Fix it theme.

Make way for a naval officer!