Wish You Were Here (1975)
    Animals (1977)
    The Wall (1979)
    The Final Cut (1983)
    A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)
    The Division Bell (1994)
    Delicate Sound of Thunder (1988)
    Pulse (1995)
    Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980–81 (2000)
    Relics (1971)

This should keep us going until next March! What we usually do with a Time Team is post up opinions / reviews of each album, seeing which bits we like and which we hate. It's a great opportunity to find out about a band. We'll start off with discussing Piper At The Gates of Dawn on the 22nd November, then do one album a week until they're all thoroughly covered!

With Pink Floyd CDs at 2 for Ten Pounds at HMV (instore only), there's not been a better time to get started. Or if you're not that Prog, feel free to turn up just for Dark Side of The Moon.

So get on your Bike for Saturday 22nd November, when we'll shine a Pow R Toc H on Piper At The Gates of Dawn.

A WORD ABOUT THE FORMAT -
    I've deliberately avoided copying out reams of information about the Floyd - there's so much on Wikipedia, Pink Floyd & Co and in mountains of books and other refernces that there seemed little point copying it all out here! Instead I've gone for:

ESSENTIAL INFORMATION -
    Dates recorded, date released, chart positions, songwriting credits (These become increasingly important later on!)

TRACK LIST -
    You should know what this is.

HOT LINKS -
    Web resources for each album.

ALSO IN XXXX -
    Other albums released in the same year, to give musical context.

I'd also like to do MARKS OUT OF 5 for each album, so we can do a Pink Floyd chart at the end of the time team!
    Last edited by Rob McCow; 28th Jan 2009 at 6:51 PM.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I don't have all of their albums, but I might make use of the HMV offer.

I've also subscribed myself to this thread so I hope not to miss out!
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Blimey!

Where's Dave Tudor?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Out of that list, I definitely have:

The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
    Wish You Were Here (1975)
    The Wall (1979)
    (I've also get Echoes, but as that's a "Best Of", I think we'll skip that).

I'm not sure if I have "The Division Bell (1994)" - I'll go and search for it when I get home.

And I've put the following on the must buy list (the remaining ones are on the maybe buy list):
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)
    Meddle (1971)
    A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)
    Always have an Edge

You can borrow Piper at the Gates of Dawn and The Division Bell from Bracknell Library Phil, if you wish.

Si xx

Wayne Guest

The suicide rate is already at it's highest in February, never mind having to listen to 'The Wall'.

WhiteCrow Guest

I thought by this Pink Floyd were going to be appearing with Tony Robinson. I had my jokes all ready. You know "Is this important what I've found?" / "It's just another brick in the wall mate".

I don't really like Pink Floyd. I was suffering from this strange depression I get when the clocks change, and a friend at University of Sheffield took me to the Roc Soc viewing of The Wall. It's not a film to see when normal, never mind depressed.

Other films friends have taken me to see when I'm down,
    * Betty Blue
    * Wild At Heart

I've lousy friends really.

Dave Lewis Guest

I'll probably see you around about "Meddle" - the best Floyd album ever. It is.

Actually if this was 1994/5 then I'd be able to go from the very start with no exceptions...

Well, that's what I get for dragging my heels for so many years!

Seriously, glad someone's got their act together and started this - well done, Steve. Just wondered, though, would anybody mind if I take a look at the various singles, compilations and solo projects along the way? I don't expect people to join with those bits (unless they really want to!) but it's what I always intended to do, and - if only for my own curiosity! - I'd really like to look at ev everything, to get the whole picture.

But, yes, looking forward to this!

Yeah, no problem Dave! I won't Grimble Grumble if people want to drop in and out throughout the thread (I may not have much to say about Ummagumma and Momentary Lapse of Reason, unless I get my chequebook out!) If you want to add in all the peripheral bits and pieces too, then that's great!

The origin of this thread is that I was a bit bored on Thursday.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Mr McCow has supplied me with most of their albums so I'll try and get involved - I've never listened to much Floyd before so it'll be all fresh/new to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    Well, that's what I get for dragging my heels for so many years!

Seriously, glad someone's got their act together and started this - well done, Steve. Just wondered, though, would anybody mind if I take a look at the various singles, compilations and solo projects along the way? I don't expect people to join with those bits (unless they really want to!) but it's what I always intended to do, and - if only for my own curiosity! - I'd really like to look at ev everything, to get the whole picture.

But, yes, looking forward to this!
    What, no bootlegs?! Lightweight!

Are we do the live albums too? I'd like to talk a bit about Pulse at the end as it was my first real exposure to Pink Floyd as an adult. We did the Live ones for Genesis and they had loads more than Floyd!

Looking forward to this, especially so since I'm only just getting to grips with th early albums at the moment... I'll be interested to hear what everyone else's take on them are...

Si xx

I'll add the live albums - Delicate Sound of Thunder - Pulse - Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980–81 along with Relics at the end.

"The Piper at the gates of dawn" is one of my absolute favourite Lps of all time.

It's all down hill after that.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I have to say that I don't really do Pink Floyd- stems from a period about 15 years ago when I shared a house with a disturbed alcoholic Floyd fan who made my life a misery for about a year, so I can't really hear any of their music without going back to that. I could be tempted by the first couple because of the period, but forgive me if I don't.

I don't know a great deal of Floyd's music. I love Dark Side Of The Moon and Shine On, You Crazy Diamond, but am not too keen on The Wall. I'll probably use this thread as a guide to what's really worth buying to try out, and what to avoid.

I have been listening to Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Just thought you'd all like to know that.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    I have to say that I don't really do Pink Floyd- stems from a period about 15 years ago when I shared a house with a disturbed alcoholic Floyd fan who made my life a misery for about a year, so I can't really hear any of their music without going back to that. I could be tempted by the first couple because of the period, but forgive me if I don't.
    Well I can understand. I can't listen to Nirvana for similar reasons. Although this neighbour was a bit of a wife beating thug.
    If it's going to bring back too many bad memories, I'd just ignore this thread.
    So sorry it's been spoilt for you.

You joining us for this, DC? It'll be just like old times...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    You joining us for this, DC? It'll be just like old times...
    Wouldn't miss it for the world! Roll on saturday then!

I just hope people haven't been checking my Facebook status the last two weeks
    Always have an Edge

Oh - By The Way...

Here is possibly the most awesome internet advert I have EVER SEEN.

It's Pink Floyd - In A Box.

Defo cool... The song samples are an excellent show of their sound progression over the years as well.

It's a fabulous advert, and a pretty good set by the looks of it, but like 1992's 'Shine On' box set, it's such a wasted opportunity - a proper collection of rare and unreleased recordings is long overdue.

But yes, a wonderful reminder of how great this band are.