Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thanks Chris!

Thanks very much Chris! I found it a lot harder doing the Rob scenes for Eye of the Daleks than for any of the other audio plays. It was very difficult suppressing my self-consciousness when Rob was getting upset.

Spoilers below!

I've listened to both episodes now and I was very impressed! I'd love to have an extra 12 minute feature of Wayne's Daleks versus Pip's Krotons. The battle effects were very effective, not too distracting but still loud and exciting. I was completely wrong-footed by the Dalek victory, I was sitting there thinking 'Hang on, I don't remember recording this!'

Paul Monk really raised his game for this one, standing up to the Daleks and complaining about his hat being lost! And Nick got his leg blown up - ouch! Ant and Ali were also very good, Ant's accent worked brilliantly! Poor old Choo though.

A fantastic story - well done everybody.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

Thanks again for the comments.
    I absolutely loved doing the Dalek voices. I reckon i'd even give up music if i could have Nick Briggs' job.

Excellent stuff - an epic season ender. to Wayne for the Daleks and to Pip for his Brummie-Krotons - just like being there.
    Just about put up with the New Series stylee 'emotional content' because it was balanced with Red Hot Dalek Action (although I've already taken Mr Hart to task for the lack of a 'Seek..Locate...Exterminate' )

I wonder if there are going to be consequences for Nick's loss of faith in the Doctor though (in a "will they, won't they" kind of dramatic way)....

Got slightly confused when the Dalek and the Kroton were arguing with Della over who should get the Doctor - was that some kind of 'boss' Kroton ?
    Bazinga !

The Hypo-Dynatrope is all that matters!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I believe it was the Mac Daddy Of The Krotons.

Interestingly, I heard the Big Finish Krotons the other day. I was worried they might be so authentic that I'd sound like a poor imitation. Suprisingly, they were pretty disappointing, I thought mine were much nearer the mark - not perfect of course, but recognisable. And there were no effects on my voice either (unlike the 1969 originals).

Wayne Guest

Glad you enjoyed it Jon!
    I'm still listening to it once a day. (I'm making up for everybody else) I expect i'll finally get fed up with it in about 3 weeks, & will go back to listening to Dalek Empire everyday.

So which story will you vote as Favourite when we do the Season 2 Survey Wayne?

Si.

Heist! obviously!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Just about put up with the New Series stylee 'emotional content' because it was balanced with Red Hot Dalek Action (although I've already taken Mr Hart to task for the lack of a 'Seek..Locate...Exterminate' )
    I can't believe I forgot a Seek-locate- Exterminate... I remembered to include just about all the other Dalek classics in part 2! Wayne would have enjoyed that!

I'm glad all the emotional content didn't spoil the story too much for you though Jon. I think Paul felt it was time that Rob was put through the emotional wringer.

Si xx

Wayne Guest

I should've ad libbed it!

As for my favourite S2 story, I suppose it's not cricket to vote for 'yourself', (sort of) But then i always hated cricket anyway.

I actually really like 'Enjoy Your Shoes' almost as much as anything. I'm paired up with my favourite character after all. And it feels more 'new series' dalek as well.

I think Paul felt it was time that Rob was put through the emotional wringer.
    It's the least that Rob deserves! I'm sure Paul said to me that Rob would be falling in love with a Dalek in his story. "Daleks do not kiss on the first date!"

I paticularly liked the Dalek defeat for this story, it's better than having them all blowing up because their shells are made of Dalekanium or whatever. Good stuff.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I paticularly liked the Dalek defeat for this story, it's better than having them all blowing up because their shells are made of Dalekanium or whatever. Good stuff.
    Thanks. I really wanted to avoid that sort of ending and really liked the idea of the making use of the fact that they were creatures with minds that could be played with. And I was a bit influenced by Blakes 7 as well
    As for Rob I felt he needed to be put through it a little bit, this was his story really. I wanted to also show him being quite heroic and clever and he effectively saves the Doctor and Nick which was great. Steve did a fantastic acting job, top stuff.

Listened to 'Enjoy your shoes' today, and thought it was quite touching. I really felt sorry for that poor Dalek, and it's last words were haunting...I think Wayne really excelled himself with his Dalek voice in this, his delivery and more 'emotional' Dalek reminded me a lot of Nicholas Briggs.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penny View Post
    I think Wayne really excelled himself with his Dalek voice in this, his delivery and more 'emotional' Dalek reminded me a lot of Nicholas Briggs.
    Awww thanks Martin! I'm really glad that someone's picked up on that.
    I was very aware of being influenced by the Eccleston 'Dalek' episode for 'Enjoy Your Shoes', but it came out that way because that's what the script demanded. I really to think that it was the excellent script that made that particular dalek more 'emotive'.
    Much as it was great fun to emulate classic Dalek dialogue in 'Eye', i think 'Enjoy Your Shoes' really captured the slightly more in depth spirit of the New Series. So congrats have to go to Si Hunt, the JNT/RTD of PS.

I was aware that it was similar in theme to "Dalek" while writing it, but I thought "so what? This is worth exploring. Dalek was only a few minutes. It's still worthwhile."

Si.

Having been a bit crook (as they used to say on Neighbours) last weekend/early in the week, I seem to have spent this past few days playing catch-up (as they used to say on Going for Gold) so have finally, finally, just been able to sit down and listen properly to part 2.

What a great episode, is pretty much all I can say. Just like the TV series, the season finale has been given a real sense of upping the ante - every time the regulars split up, it had that feeling of "will they ever meet again" to it. Add the Daleks and the Krotons to the mix, and the epic sense of the weapon in the background, and it really was a superb end to the season.

I'm not going to single out any performances, simply because I never found myself thinking that I was listening to an amateur piece. Everybody did superbly well.

One thing I will mention though is the battle sequences - they always sound a great idea on paper, but can be tricky to realise, and doubly so when there's no visuals. But they were handled perfectly here; the occasional foregrounding of the battle, but primarily the constant sounds of Exterminate and Disperse in the backgrounds, or as the tops and tails, of scenes. When Rob & Choon were in that cave, there was a real sense of them being holed up overlooking the epic-scale action below.

And a very neat ending - it took me a moment for the explanations to sink in, but yes, very cleverly done indeed. And in its own way, quite a tragic little ending.

What can I say, an absolutely corking finale to what's been an amazing season of stories, ranging in style & feel to give a real sense of variety, but at the same time remaining recognisably Doctor Who.

In the words of Young Mr Grace, you've all done very well!!!

Thanks Andrew, really glad you enjoyed it!

Si.

Thanks very much Andrew!

Si xx

Woo!

It's great to hear praise for these stories, not just because they have gone way beyond what we expected in terms of production, storytelling and acting, but because these are our stories. So many of the people on the forum have been involved, it's fantastic!

Wayne Guest

I second what Steve said!
    Great that you enjoyed it Andrew. I really think it's very exciting. Especially part 2. But then i always loved these kind of stories when BF did them as well.

The Dalek voices were amazing, Wayne, with the high & low toned ones plus the booming Emperor. You've really cornered the market there I think for PS Dalek voices.

And I probably ought to add that Pip's Krotons were darned good too - particularly the way he says "Disperse"! I suspect he may have been enjoying it far too much!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    The Dalek voices were amazing, Wayne, with the high & low toned ones plus the booming Emperor.
    Thanks!
    Although the Emperor wasn't in it. I assume you mean the Dalek Supreme?

I'm not such an expert* on these things as you, sir! Whichever Dalek was saying "Do not fight in here" was the one I meant anyway - more 'boomy' than the run of the mill Daleks.

*By which I mean, anorak!

Wayne Guest

cue Pip with a Photoshopped Dalek in an anorak.

I think the 'Do not fight in here' line was a deliberate coincidence. Paul?