Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It was Paul's line

Si xx
    Damn - I'm sure it was something Nick said in the Children In Need minisode? I'm sure you're right. But when I read it I could hear Nick saying it. Ain't it funny how your brain mis-allocates dialogue - whoops!

I think Si that's obviously what your problem was - that line SO belonged to Nick, and you went and gave it to the Doctor!!!

I was certain I'd commented on the second part, but reading back I realise I haven't - it's the second time this week I've done something like this, so I'm thinking my memory might be going!

Anyway, I really enjoyed it, as has been mentioned, it had more of an epic feel to it than the first part, and was packed with really gripping moments. Everyone put in excellent performances too, but a special mention to Wayne's performance has to be made, as he got it spot on and really enhanced the whole thing. And once again the production side of things was truly excellent.

I'm already having withdrawal symptoms, does anyone know when the next batch of stories will be coming along?

Edit: I've just remembered that there's going to be the Christmas story, isn't there, which is cool. But out of interest, is there a date set for the next batch to be released after that?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

is there a date set for the next batch to be released after that?
    No firm date, but Season 3 will start in the Spring.

Cool, cheers Pip!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    but a special mention to Wayne's performance has to be made, as he got it spot on and really enhanced the whole thing.
    Thank you very much Alex!

Wayne Guest

Btw.... I was wondering what anyone thought of 'Enjoy Your Shoes'? I really liked doing that because i loved the script.

Thanks for your comments on the production Mike! I can't comment on the story, because to be honest I had nothing to do with it - usually I have some involvement even if only with script editing and adding bits (tinkering in other words!) but I didn't even see this one til close to recording. But I'm glad you like the production!

As far as similarities go, I've been itching to have my "IT'S UNCANNY!" rant for ages, but have held off because I couldn't mention the Krotons. But the problem with making Doctor Who, we've collectively discovered, is that it takes so long to do that someone else will inevitably come up with your idea before you get a chance to get it out there. Long ago of course, Si came up with the idea about the Doctor visiting a soap long before that Craig Hinton book about Autons that did the same thing. But how gutted we we when Big Finish announced Krotons! We had had the idea first, then they announced it. Likewise, anyone who's heard the Paul McGann audio "Grand Theft Cosmos" can only imagine how I felt when I heard the CD Extra's, in which they bang on about "doing a Heist story" - this was just after we'd recorded Si's "Heist!" adventure. And they don't just mention it once! Oh no, it seems they're practically on a sponsored challenge to see how many times they can say "it was such a great idea to do a sort of Heist! style audio" in one feature.

It ends up being quite spooky anyway. You have a good idea, make it, then before you can tell anyone Big Finish do it. It happens so often.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Likewise, anyone who's heard the Paul McGann audio "Grand Theft Cosmos" can only imagine how I felt when I heard the CD Extra's, in which they bang on about "doing a Heist story" - this was just after we'd recorded Si's "Heist!" adventure.
    I alway think we should have gone for more of a Guy Richie feel on that one - "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Lasguns". "We're gonna con Mr Zunestra outta 15 big ones ..." [I'm kidding by the way]

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I've been itching to have my "IT'S UNCANNY!" rant for ages
    I think it's the way things are. It's said there are only about 12 plots, and everything is just variations on a theme.

Yes BF and PS have both now done Kroton and Heist stories, but I'll bet good money the tone, emphasis and execution are completely different.

I think part of the problem is simple - PS writers are wondering "ooh what haven't BF done". And BF writers are asking themselves the same question.

Si Hart said he watched an episode of Hussle and got the idea to try something similar with the Doctor. More than likely the BF author involved had a similar inspiration.

And as for the Daleks. To be absolutely fair, in a good proportion of their stories they seem to have "a cunning plan" to take over the Universe. It's kind of their leitmotif!

Anyway, so I think it's nothing to really worry about. I just made that as a kind of observation. And to be honest there's nothing really wrong with doing PS stories which are similar to other ones, as long as they're done PS style-ee!

Default 'Ire Of Tha Daaalex' (a RetroRobot revue)

Headline:

'BF-BBC CREATIVE MIND-PROBE CONSPIRACY NO-SURPRISE YAWN!'

Dateline:

"If I said you had a beautiful protuberance would you hold it against me?"

Byline:

a Psychological Skaro production.

Reports now coming to mind of the desperate Original Ideas Drought being suffered by BBC executives (no surprise there) and Bling Finale auto-productions resulting in the resurrection of the defunct Doctro Who Props Department Department (Subsidiary of '2Enervate'/BBC-Systemwide megaconglomerate).

Rumours right now being generated ("You heard'm here 1st") that the 'Mind-Probe(tm)' has been given a fresh coat of silverpaper and recharged with negatronic power in order to secretly extract new story-ideas from the susceptibly pulpy brainlets of mediafans surreptititiously without their knowledge or signed-over-in-perpetuitary release.

In typically bad form the fresh, vibrant & staggeringly original ideas of fans which have traditionally been ruthlessly suppressed in order that the usual cliques of hacks & insiders can continue to be paid exhorbitantly adequate sums for their endlessly-rehashed, traditionally-safe standard fare, are being plundered for anything resembling the kind of mediocre normalcy that can be 'sold' to the paining public. Sophisticated inventions replete with complex motifs have been successfully eliminated by setting the MindProbe(tm) to "Subtle" on the Dalek-Scale.

In other news just now being written, Plant Scary Productions has released their latest most-plagiarized audio 'Ire Of The Darleks' to universal acclaim from its performers and uncritical success according to its producers.

Unable to find someone outside of the privileged PS elite who'd actually heard it we dispatched one of our more expendable staffmembers to the private auditioning booth where the hapless victim was able to make some sense of the garbled conceptuality and excessively creative ideation intruding into the otherwise complaicent consumer consciousness of the generalized listener in between interruptions by patrons needing to use the toilet.

Most notable was the quality of the sound-production which was spacious, balanced & well-mixed. Other obvious flaws of this kind were the objectionably-clear vocal performances with all words being quite audible and requiring none of the popular "straining-to-hear-the-lines" so fashionable in more obviously "going-to-be-a-commercial-success" type relaeses these days.

There was also acting. No, really, some of it actually was.

Next was the pathetically obvious (and too clever-clever by 3 halves) editing of original Dalek-dialogue from the now defunct and altogether forgotten 'Classic Series' of Doctro Whoah, the epicly endless sago of The Heroic, Exemplary & Beautifully-designed Daleks' neverending struggle to free themselves from the oppression of the Timekeepers from the House Of Lords on planet 'Wheelbarrow' (by Pants Larkin).

The story itself features various humanoid plot-devices emoting from one scene to the next whilst Robotically-interesting characters such as Barry-the-Kroton Paymaster shout "Disburse!" or Lead Dalek 'Caaan't' shout "Etceterate" while Tin Dalek 'Won't' searches the libretto for David Bowie.

With various Extra Krotons clomping about shouting "evaporate"; "begone" & "buggeroff" in the background (to the tune of massed choirs of Dalex singing the Murky Gold mix of 'We Did It Our Way') the story fairly stumbles along until the good bit. Explosions of exquisite texture and delicate tapesries of mass-destruction reign down like a falling empire estate building tension to an almost bearable anticlimax before settling down to more dialogue & emoting of the kind favoured by most Earthoids.

Apparently this was rather well done, which bodes poorly for the unpopularity of future backwardian narrative studies and frock-coats of this kind.

There was an unfortunate moment of deep, insightfully-poignant writing in the concluding piece 'Here's Your Slippers' marred only by the relentless eye-rolling & general gurning-behaviour of the antagonist, but as this was an audio-recording none of these could be scene - which is precisely the sort of thing we've come to expect from this reviewer.

Latte Correction:

As I sit here in my bijou-cafe street 'office', balancing my breakfast on my laptop, I have been undeniably reformed that there were No "original Dalerk voices" edited into the recording, due to copyright issues with the owner of the set of pirated videotapes in question, and at the last minute an Herr Wayne Hilter was rushed in from his usual busking-pozzie at the end of the lane and, with no rehearsal or script-practise whatsoever, belted off a terrifyingly (to Mr Brick Niggs) authentic set of Dalevocals using only a combination of comb&paper with a SpikeMilligan-throatwarbling technique for the soundeffectsFX.

BLAST! - now i've got froth all over my keypad, wet pants & a hot groin...
    (chop that last bit out miss Harunt - sigh...)

:wayne

RetroRobot
    Travelling Co-Respondent & Dalek(Theatrical)Agent
    "RetroRobots Conquer & Enjoy!"

Pip Madeley Guest

Don't want to cause any offence Mr RetroRobot, but I didn't understand any of that.

Are you saying you liked it?

Thank you Mr Retro Robot!

Si.

Thanks... hope you enjoy our forthcoming releases just as much, if not more!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Default The RetroRobot translation (a review)

RetroRobot's lunacy doesn't appeal?

(So, fun for me = not funny to you.)

Ok, a proper review then.

This time not taking into account the comments on this thread, which are replete with the names i've come to know as the wits of Planet Skaro over the 5 years i've been visiting here - as indeed is the cast & production credits list on the 'Eye Of The Daleks' cover, i'll go with my personal impressions.

From a team of competent amateurs, who've produced a series of enjoyable audios in recent years, comes a work of particular interest to this 'Dalek Researcher'.

As a past participant (writer, performer, producer & fx-designer) in Australian ScienceFiction-fan recordings* I am aware, even with the advantages of contemporary digital home-production technology, of how much effort & talent is needed to come up with good material.

[* most notably a series of popular 'Sci-Goon Shows': The Dune Show (Frank Herbert); The DragGoon Show (Anne McCaffrey); The Lord Of The String (JRR Tolkein) being the most famous ]

The performances, for instance - allowing for the generosity of amateur standards, are quite good overall, with the inevitable high-points provided by those with greater experience or talent. Set against a cracking-good production standard, which always makes everything sound better, the characters in this play come across as believable and perform a dramatically convincing script with a pleasing dedication to the project. This, naturally, is what you get with a group of longstanding friends engaged in a mutually inspiring endeavour.

There are several productions floating around the Whoniverse that demonstrate the benefit of such sincerity and special-interest motivation. Few of them have achieved the standard set by Planet Skaro Audios.

The 'acting' and characterisations (no small thing) aside, it is the superb production-standard achieved here that lifts these audios and for me - with or without Daleks - it is this aspect which makes 'Eye Of The Daleks' a real & lasting pleasure.

The fx are great indeed, but the real magic of this production lurks in the quality of the dramatic & background music selections and, I must assume, compositions - although such are not mentioned nor credited on the sleeves.

I'll not tire this review with singling-out individuals (so don't bother scanning!). What's important is the Ensemble-effort combining to create a satisfyingly complete work. Production-values make a huge difference these days, but without good material & performances it's wasted, unlike here.

Also important is the consideration of wit (clever references & repartee) and humour (jokes, puns & satire/parody) as a leavening ingredient woefully lacking in plays taken too seriously. Those require a very high dramatic-performance capability rarely achieved by inexperienced, as distinct from 'advanced', amateur productions of any kind. The PS team has a reservoir of wits and accomplished humorists who willingly lend their bent to these audios, thus undercutting pretentiousness on the one hand, whilst definitely adding to the enjoyability of a 'vanity'production and never descending into mere sillyness.

That sort of stuff is reserved for things like the hilarious Outtakes where it's actually appropriate and really fun to listen to. Bloopers are ever-popular of course, but have the salutary effect of increasing one's appreciation of the serious efforts made in the actual performances.

Lastly, the high quality of the 'packaging' - from sitepages to cd-covers - polishes off the impression of a product that one is well pleased to possess. The art of alternative DoctorWho-covers of all kinds is advanced and widespread on the web and it's an achievement worth mentioning when someone comes up with design that rises above the standard.

Back to the show itself, attention-to-detail is a characteristic of "WhoMe's" (probably having to do with the critique of the Classic Series' budget-stifled production-standards combined with an enjoyment of the kind of 'universe-building' represented in the propositions - rather than impositions - of Canon & Continuity). Thus it is that when re-presenting classic WhoEntities, especially in audio, the achievement of authenticity of Voice & Style is critical. Characters like Daleks and Krotons* must be done just right, especially for those of us whose Nostalgia is based on actual 'period' childhood experiences rather than 'retro'enjoyment, and it will be most interesting to compare BF's versions up against the very high standards set here.

[* such a delight! - i was scared out of my sofa by them as a kid, one of the few times anything on Doctor Who ever had that affect (see also Furious Seaweed and Macra-claws) ]

Again, combined with their contextualizing associated-fx (the crystal soundscapes in particular), these elements add that certain Dimension of Transcendence to the scale of the experience and its concomitant enjoyment. (So there!)

The story itself is a delight and, regardless of considerations of "originality", the inventiveness of its usages and the intelligently-focussed narrative drive holding it all together makes this story a fully satisfying ride of that kind which rises above limited plots or simplistic outcomes and is enjoyable again & again for its story-telling elements rather than worn-out by dependence on surprises & twists that are only effective the first time. Good modern drama is ever-more about the experiential relationship of both character and audient these days, reducing 'clever plots' to insufficiencies in themselves - so it is a serious achievement to have come up with such a relistenable entertainment.

For all of that, there is a moment that rises even higher, feeding back beneficially to one's impression of the main story, which is, inevitably, the extraordinary piece 'Enjoy Your Shoes'. This is a sterling demonstration of what can happen when a combination of Inspiration and Talent synchronizes in one of those "knocked it off in one session" gems where everything comes together Just Right (and makes one wonder what all the headaches of complicated recording & editing processes that normally occur are all about when one genius moment blows it away).

This is the 'Musing Moment' great art aspires to and it happened there. It's pretty darn good when you can follow a well-climaxed tale with yet another topper. Good Show!
    Last edited by RetroRobot; 20th Dec 2008 at 8:41 PM.

I've been slowly catching up with these now that I have sound back on my PC (I've just got the Children in Need one to go now).
    I was about to really praise 'Eye of the Daleks' but to be honest I agree with everything that Retro has just said.
    It really was top-notch. Brilliant performances, brilliant production, including sound effects and incidental music (don't worry I won't tell Roger Limb next time I see him). Was some of the other music from the original Dalek story?

I also really enjoyed 'Curse' - a cracking story! These PS audios just get better and better all the time!!!

Wayne Guest

Thanks Retro! (Why didn't you say that in the first place)
    Glad you liked it as well Andrew!

Did Tim miss this one out? It's the only audio he's never commented on.
    I'm taking it personally.

I'm glad both Andrew and Mr Retro Robot enjoyed it.

In fact I'd like to say thanks to Retro Robot for such a thorough review of our stuff. I'm glad you're anjoying our work so much, especially so since you seem to have listened to lots of our fan audios and we still come out on top!
    I'm glad you mentioned the humour which is an integral part of our audios, and should really be an integral part of all Doctor Who. It's all too easy for fan made things to be over serious, when humour has always had a part to play in the show. As long as the humour comes from the situations or characters and it isn't forced, then it works well, and I think we've always got the balance right in each story.

Thanks again!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

What he said

Pip Madeley Guest

Lastly, the high quality of the 'packaging' - from sitepages to cd-covers - polishes off the impression of a product that one is well pleased to possess. The art of alternative DoctorWho-covers of all kinds is advanced and widespread on the web and it's an achievement worth mentioning when someone comes up with design that rises above the standard.
    You're too kind Mr Robot Thank you.

See, it's encouragement to get on with the next two now.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Can I get Christmas over with first?