Default Start Bar Shortcuts

Is there any way to choose and fix the icons that sit above the All Programs button on the Start Bar? They seem to be added every time I use the program, so if I use a program I don't use very often, I have to select 'Remove From This List' to get my old favourites back on it. I've tried right clicking on Start and Properties > Customise, but it seems the only ones you can attach there are Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    only ones you can attach there are Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.
    Sounds like the old "the Windows operating system is not biased at all in Microsoft's favour" argument.

On a personal note ...

Mr T says anyone who uses Internet Explorer is a crazy fool, and deserves to have their accounts raided!

WhiteCrow Guest

Just tried this on XP - yes what a remarkable difference there is. If the program is a Microsoft one, you see capable of pinning to Start Menu.

If it isn't, then you can't.

You might be able to do it if you switch to the Classic start menu, perhaps.

If it isn't, then you can't.
    You can. I pinned Firefox to mine at home.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Permanatly? How?

Si.

I don't know. I just did it!
    This is the problem with me and anything technical!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

I think some of the things there appear if you use them regularly. If you use Firefox every session - of course it's going to stay there.

Si, try left click & dragging up the item you want to permanently fix to the list toward where explorer & outlook is, when there is a black line below outlook let go. That should fix it in the same list as explorer & outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I don't know. I just did it!
    This is the problem with me and anything technical!
    Right Click -> Pin to Start Menu
    perhaps?
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

That certainly works in Vista.

And I have a feeling that IE and Outlook are only pinned because they are your default browser and mail client. If you used Firefox and Thunderbird, they would be pinned to the top by default. That's certainly the case in Vista.

You could always put your favourite applications in the quick launch bar on your thing-at-the-bottom-of-the-screen bar. That's just drag and drop.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

For some reason the design of my Start bar and the web page icons along the bottom has changed since this morning! I pinned a few icons to the list as suggested, but that was last night. This has happened suddenly, since early this morning! The start button is now in a different font and looks like an earlier version of Windows.

Right clicking it still reveals that "Start Menu" and not "Classic Start Menu" is selected.

Any ideas anyone?

Si.

You could try changing it to classic & back again!

That changes the design of the start bar, but the Start button and bar along the bottom are still grey and not blue as they always have been in XP!

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

For some reason the design of my Start bar and the web page icons along the bottom has changed since this morning! I pinned a few icons to the list as suggested, but that was last night. This has happened suddenly, since early this morning! The start button is now in a different font and looks like an earlier version of Windows.
    I believe that moving the icon has caused a change to your start up.

If you've got a dual processor, this would have caused an imbalance between the two processors, which would have caused a higher electron density, causing a micro-black hole, with would spew chromatons, causing your machine to reboot with Windows 95.

Bet you're glad that one's sorted!

WhiteCrow Guest

In all seriousness - there has been a Windows update recently which has changed the colour of my Windows.

... and it's back to normal. Computers are weird things!

Si.

Hitting it helped it then?

WhiteCrow Guest

If you turn it on and it looks like this, it's regressed too far ...

That changes the design of the start bar, but the Start button and bar along the bottom are still grey and not blue as they always have been in XP!

Si.
    You can change your start bar and windows appearances by right clicking on your desktop (not the start bar) and selecting properties to bring up the display properties. Then choose the 'appearance' tab. You can choose 'windows classic' or 'windows XP' and then change the color to default (blue), Silver, or Olive Green. (I personally use 'XP' and "Silver')