Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No More Lis Sladen commentaries?

There's an interview with Lis Sladen you can read here which brings up something interesting...

The joy now is doing the DVD commentaries, although unfortunately I?m not anymore due to contractual reasons with 2entertain, we couldn?t come to an agreement.
    It would be a great shame if she didn't do the commentaries for her other stories, as although she's not my favourite, she's been quite insightful so far... and if she's not around who are they going to persuade to talk all over Monster of Peladon?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

I remember from Genesis of the Daleks - there's all these troops in gasmasks and she says "are you my mummy?". Fantastic.

No-one else she's with gets it though.

Hmmm. We probably should remember that before she redeemed herself she had a reputation for being quite "savvy" over her fees. And she's a big star now. Still, shame she doesn't want to do them just for the fun of it.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Still, shame she doesn't want to do them just for the fun of it.
    Or just to occasionally plug her new show. "Yes Tom, I've my own show ... and what are you doing these days?".

Tom: Ahhhhhhhhhhhh getting eight million viewers and a slot on HBO with Little Britain. Which of the BBC's digital channels is your show on again? Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Lis is too stiff on commentaries. She reads prepared statements and doesn't make the whole thing fun like Katy or the Brig do. Good riddance to her if she's playing hard balls. Peter Davison does them and he's ten times the star she'll ever be.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    Good riddance to her if she's playing hard balls. Peter Davison does them and he's ten times the star she'll ever be.
    Nicely put!

assuming non have been pre-recorded already there are still I think another 9 stories she was in still to be relesed so it would be a shame if she dose not do any more.w

Wasn't Sladen the one who allegedly threw a hissy fit after a fan asked her about her contribution to Pyramids of Mars in 2001 before she had formally agreed to it, leading to her pulling out, and them having to replace Pyramids with Ark in Space?

Then again, since she still contributed to Ark, I'm not sure...
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

That's the one. She can, apparently, be quite high maintenance, and as Si said, her new found stardom probably hasn't helped (although she was very nice when we met her last year and so grateful). Hmm, well, there will be others who can take her place on the commentaries I'm sure and if it means there's a chance for some of the lesser stars to shine, then perhaps that'll be a good thing.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Interestingly, according to Steve Manfred on OG, Sladen will be appearing at Chicago TARDIS in a few weeks. And charging $20 for an autograph, while most other autographs are included in the convention ticket...
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    She can, apparently, be quite high maintenance, and as Si said, her new found stardom probably hasn't helped
    I always thought she came across as a little difficult on the interviews for School Reunion "I wasn't going to do it if it was just a cameo ... no not even for the fans! What a guest starring role, my own TV series and panto in Windsor? How can I not do it for the fans?".

Bless her, I'm sure she means well but she comes over as slightly more protective of her character than all her re-appearances suggest. I've lost count of the times she's said "I'll only come back if..." or "This is my last appearance". Yet she's always back as soon as RTD waves a wad of cash at her.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Lets start the rumour she had Yasmin Paige fired because she thought she was stealing the show from her!

Ooh yes lets! And that she's trying to get Rani replaced by a character played by Sadie!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrow View Post
    Lets start the rumour she had Yasmin Paige fired because she thought she was stealing the show from her!
    Interestingly Yasmin Paige only appeared in the recent episodes when Sladen wasn't in them...there could be something in what you say, Mike.

WhiteCrow Guest

Something tells me in a convention if you were to ask that question, she'd take off her mic and leave in a huff. Everyone would look at you angrily as yours was the first question, and you'd just shrug and go "well she didn't deny it"!

Or in my case go "darn I can't ask about the rumour of her threesome with Jon Pertwee and Katie Manning now!".

@ the whole thread, but mainly Mike. Good work guys!

Apart from the "Seeds of Doom" hasn't she done all her good stories though?

Maybe she just can't be arsed with the b-list stories that are left!

Captain Tancredi Guest

I suppose these days she can argue that her time is worth rather more than a couple of years ago, and 2entertain have to therefore pay her something like what she gets for making and promoting Sarah Jane Adventures. On the other hand, "contractual reasons" does suggest that there's a bit more than meets the eye- perhaps her SJA contract prevent her from working on other projects in some way.

The main problem I can see is Planet of the Spiders- it's a big story which really needs as many people as possible involved, so perhaps best to leave it for a year or two when the situation may have changed.

IIRC, the commentary for Planet of the Spiders has been recorded already?

There are a few commentaries recorded I believe. I'm fairly sure the Masque commentary they did the other week didn't have Lis on it, but it will have Chris D'Oyly John who is a very incisive chap!

It would be a shame to lose her from the commentaries, she was lovely when we met her in Borders today! *name drop clunk*

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Culley View Post
    Wasn't Sladen the one who allegedly threw a hissy fit after a fan asked her about her contribution to Pyramids of Mars in 2001
    But that's an expression! "her contribution"! Get with the program Lis
    And do you think the "get you tiger!" line in School Reunion was written into the script as a dig at the "conditions" for bringing back Sarah Jane?
    "I don't want her to be a figure of fun, or a one scene cameo etc..etc"
    Ok, I paraphrased that somewhat.... or do you think the "get you tiger" line was originally in the first draft?
    I know she's proud and protective of her role, and so she should for the joy it gave us...
    but really Lis Sladen! Really!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrow View Post
    I always thought she came across as a little difficult on the interviews for School Reunion "I wasn't going to do it if it was just a cameo ... no not even for the fans! What a guest starring role, my own TV series and panto in Windsor? How can I not do it for the fans?".
    think your misinterpriting what she ment by that Sladen, is obviously very protective towards the character and I think her saying that was her not wanting to belittle Sarah Jane.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    think your misinterpriting what she ment by that Sladen, is obviously very protective towards the character and I think her saying that was her not wanting to belittle Sarah Jane.
    I know I just remember reading it and feeling "she had a tone" about it.

I have great fondness for Sarah Jane, and no beef with Lis Sladen. But... I don't think she's the world's greatest actress, and I think the long 'wilderness years' between 1976 and 2006 tend to suggest this. She'd be OK in a soap I think, but I don't think a movie career's beckoning. So... If the DVD issue is down to her demands, she'd be wise to think about life after the SJS Adventures perhaps.