Default Torchwood moves to BBC2

BBC2 and BBC Three are fighting for the right to screen it first - according to the South Wales Echo. Russell T Davies is pushing for a slot on BBC One!!

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/south...name_page.html

That won't go down well with the moaning-faced ***** on other forums. "FFS!! BBCBLOODY1! MORE LIKE CBBC CHANNEL!! HAS RTD GONE MAD? THE CHINBALL WIZARD MUST FRY!!"

Edited to add: Looks like my rant has been lifted straight from Roobrab's.
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 12th Dec 2006 at 2:06 PM. Reason: new info added

In a year when several original dramas have flopped, including Channel 4's Goldplated and the BBC's Innocence Project, Torchwood is one of the few new shows to have beaten expectations.
    The news is set to delight star John Barrowman who has settled in Cardiff with his partner and will tie the knot with him in a civil partnership ceremony on December 27.
    Good for John!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Default Torchwood moves to BBC2

It's moving to BBC2:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcas...970320,00.html

Torchwood switched to BBC2
    Leigh Holmwood
    Tuesday December 12, 2006
    MediaGuardian.co.uk

BBC2 has snatched the new series of Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood from digital channel BBC3 following the high ratings the drama posted for its first run.

Torchwood - which stars John Barrowman as Cardiff-based alien hunter Captain Jack - will premiere its second series on BBC2 next autumn.

The first run of Torchwood, which is written by Russell T Davies, launched on BBC3 in October with 2.4 million viewers, the largest-yet multichannel audience for a UK-originated, non-sports programme.

Repeat episodes were shown later in the week on BBC2, launching with 2.8 million.

BBC2 controller Roly Keating said the success of the show meant the natural home for its second series was on his channel, although it is thought episodes will still be shown on BBC3.

The snaring of Torchwood from BBC3 will be some consolation for Keating following the BBC1's poaching of the third series of top-rated show The Apprentice.

The constant swapping of shows between BBC channels has also previously seen Have I Got News For You move from BBC2 to BBC1, while comedy Little Britain started life on BBC3 before moving to BBC1.

The first run of Torchwood, which is written by Russell T Davies....
    I don't know this person, is he the same guy as "award-winning writer Russell T Davies"?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    It's moving to BBC2:
    Good! No more of that annoying on screen ident!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    I don't know this person, is he the same guy as "award-winning writer Russell T Davies"?
    I thought he only wrote two episodes?

Media Guardian is always full of mistookes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    I thought he only wrote two episodes?
    Officially......although the Radio Times credited RTD as a co-writer on the last two episodes, although he wasn't credited on screen.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I should've added the BBC Press Release earlier:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...orchwood.shtml

Press Releases
    Torchwood to return for second series
    Category: BBC Two; BBC Three; TV Drama; Wales
    Date: 12.12.2006

BBC Three's Torchwood is back for a second series but this time it will premiere exclusively on BBC Two as confirmed by Jane Tranter, Controller of BBC Fiction, and BBC Two Controller Roly Keating.

It attracted an audience of 2.4 million viewers for the broadcast of its first two episodes - securing the highest-ever audiences for a BBC Three programme and the highest-ever ratings for a non-sport programme to air across all channels in digital history.

Created by award-winning writer Russell T Davies, with Chris Chibnall as co-producer and lead writer, the high-octane sci-fi thriller follows a team of modern day investigators as they use alien technology to solve crime, both alien and human.

Set in Cardiff, Torchwood delves into the unknown - battling against the impossible in the highly volatile underworld of savage aliens and monsters whilst trying to maintain their every day lives.

Roly Keating said: "Inventive, intelligent and unpredictable, Torchwood is a brilliant piece of 21st century fantasy drama. I'm delighted that its second series will be premiering on the channel."

Julian Bellamy, Controller of BBC Three, said: "Breaking all records on BBC Three is no mean feat and we've been proud to help build Torchwood into one of the most talked-about and eagerly-anticipated series of recent years."

Jane Tranter said: "Torchwood is a modern and innovative drama that has truly captured the imagination of its audience, and we are very excited that there will be more of the adrenaline-fuelled, action-packed adventures of our team of Torchwood heroes."

Russell T Davies said: "The whole team is bristling with ideas and we are delighted that Cardiff is going to be home to more monsters and mayhem."

Torchwood will be executive produced by Julie Gardner and Russell T Davies.

Filming is due to start in Cardiff in Spring 2007 and the series will hit screens later next year.

The remaining four episodes in the current series will continue to transmit on Sundays at 10pm on BBC Three and Wednesday nights at 9pm.
    Shouldn't that be...

Russell T Davies said: "The whole team is bristling with ideas and we are delighted that Cardiff is going to be home to more monsters and mayhem. We are well aware of the major flaws in the current series and will be taking on board the rantings of about twenty moaning-faced fanboys on Outpost Gallifrey, Digital Spy and Roobarb's Torchwood forums. I can promise that future scripts will be adjusted accordingly."

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    I should've added the BBC Press Release earlier:
    Good to see they spelt his name right!

the high-octane sci-fi thriller follows a team of modern day investigators as they use alien technology to solve crime, both alien and human.
    Is that really what they do? Dick about and cop off with each other would be a more accurate assessment of their 'work'. It reminds me of when I used to work at Legoland.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Julie Gardner has confirmed Torchwood series two will be broadcast in January 2008:

"Last year, we started filming in March and we were on air with 13 episodes from late September, which was just so, so hectic. And we didn’t really have enough time – it was absolutely frantic from day one of prep, it was all hands on deck.

And so, it just works for the BBC2 schedule that we can go in January. So it’ll just give us a little bit more time in our post-production. Which would be lovely, because we were delivering an episode every single week for transmission. It was incredibly tight. So it was just as well we didn’t have any last-minute technical difficulties last year!"

Hmmm, won't that mean it'll finish only a few weeks (if not less) before next year's Doctor Who series?

At least it'll give them longer to iron out the flaws and it'll perk up dreary January.

This is true. Also, we've got the Sarah Jane Adventures to look forward to, probably in the autumn, so we'll have non-stop Who-related stuff to keep us going right up until the spring!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    so we'll have non-stop Who-related stuff to keep us going right up until the spring!

sounds good to me..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    This is true. Also, we've got the Sarah Jane Adventures to look forward to, probably in the autumn, so we'll have non-stop Who-related stuff to keep us going right up until the spring!
    HURRAH!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!