Default Murray Gold- Going?

I got the Fourth Series soundrack CD today (and evry good it is too, though possibly not as outstanding as last year's release, but it's still early days) and flicking through the booklet I noticed a little dedication on the backpage: For the Dcotr Who team 2004-2009. It's been a privilege.
    Well I thought is he going with them? Or just thanking them for a good wroking relationship and for raisining his profile hugely?

I don't know.

Anyway, I know that his work is equally loved and hated here and some are merely indifferent to it, so I thought we'd have a thread to talk about it again, because we can!

If he does go, what sort of music would you like? Who would you like to hear do the music for Who.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I don't know who does the music for TV shows nowadays - Murray Gold's music does have its detractors, but for me I think it's really added to the big scale of the show. It's almost like a film score in a lot of instances.

That said, I still have a fondness for the old days when each story would have a different composer, giving each tale a distinct flavour - especially in the latter days, where over just three or four stories you'd get three different composers. But I suspect they wouldn't want to do that nowadays.

Keff McCulloch's not that busy at the moment, as far as I know, maybe he could take over?

Murray, has come up with some wonderfull scores two that spring to mind would be the music in the last 5 to 10 minutes of End of the World, and the wonderfully haunting music at the end of Doomsday. He also IMO produced one of the best versions of the theme tune that was used in series 2 and 3.

my only criticisim would be like many I have found the music two loud at times so much so you could not always hear what was being said.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    That said, I still have a fondness for the old days when each story would have a different composer, giving each tale a distinct flavour - especially in the latter days, where over just three or four stories you'd get three different composers. But I suspect they wouldn't want to do that nowadays.
    I dunno - I quite like that every character has their own theme, which is worked really well in the series. I think the music used has overall enhanced the viewing and emotion of many episodes. I think there are certain moments in Doctor Who which I've felt like of moved and elated with - and I bet with every one there was mood music behind.

I think one of the best has to be the scene in Doomsday where the Doctor and Rose are separated by a wall and dimensions from each other. I ought to put that down for one of my 45 Years greatest moments. Of course the Rose-bashers love it for another reason of "she's out of here!!!".

I think he's great, when he's needed, the trouble is I don't like that EVERY scene has to have music now. Sometimes I'm left feeling that music is swamping a scene when good old silence would be far more creepy.

Si.

And the word 'subtle' seems not to be in the new series lexicon either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    And the word 'subtle' seems not to be in the new series lexicon either.
    The Doctor's (Flavia's) Theme is subtle!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

You know what........I hope he goes!

Listened to the commentary for Human Nature (is it?) on the S3 set a couple of days ago with him on, and if Dave Lewis were ever to bring back the Planet Skaro: Am I Annoying threads, I'm pretty sure he'd score highly.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Sometimes I'm left feeling that music is swamping a scene when good old silence would be far more creepy.
    I'm sure RTD would counter with "but it's like we're making half a movie every week". I guess new ways of making TV more like film, mean there is more music.

With the New Series, there has not been a single scene ruined for me by music. I just find it's there to enhance. Alas I've had bits ruined by poor acting and writing which "could have been better".

I think Murray Gold's music is AMAZING, with NO exceptions.

I listen to All the Strange, Strange Creatures at least once a day. It's that good.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    You know what........I hope he goes!

Listened to the commentary for Human Nature (is it?) on the S3 set a couple of days ago with him on, and if Dave Lewis were ever to bring back the Planet Skaro: Am I Annoying threads, I'm pretty sure he'd score highly.
    Ah, the old "Am I Annoying"... good times! I think their perceived negativity was their downfall in the end; or I got bored or something. On the other hand, so many new people in the Who-ter-sphere (Hooter sphere? Hoothi sphere?) that never saw their chance to be rated... perhaps the time is right to bring it back?

Or maybe it isn't.

Go on Dave - it'll be great!

Especially when we get to Keith Boak... Freema... Billie Piper... Helen Raynor... and everyone!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Yes, go on Dave, those threads were such a guilty pleasure that the New Series just MUST be done.

Do it Dave! DO IT!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Going back to the original point for a moment, I would guess that as a working musician/composer, Gold has spent the last couple of years with more or less consistent work scoring the various series- with only a very limited amount of Who left to score in the next year or so, he's going to have to find other projects to pay the bills.

I think I should do the music.........

well, I can dream can't I?

But would you have your sound card fixed by then?

And would you demand a new star field at the start of every new series?

What, there are different starfields?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    What, there are different starfields?

One of these days Curnow, I'm gonna swing for you!!!!

According to Murrey's website, he's now based in New York so yes, the big change over does include him.

I loved his work on the show (and on others - he did the score for the excellent The Devil's Whore too) and will miss his contributions.

But to find a positive in it, it will at least allow series 5 to have an even greater "fresh" feel with a whole bunch of new compositions.
    Last edited by NorthernStar; 22nd Dec 2008 at 3:25 PM. Reason: correction