Thread: Hogfather!

Default Hogfather!

Terry Pratchett's Hogfather is coming to Sky One this Christmas, as anyone who's walked past an enormous poster display in London will know. Terry himself has been involved up to the hilt in getting it to the small screen and we're promised a faithfully hilarious adaptation of the book.

Although this should be good n' Christmassy, there's a couple of things that are making me worried that it'll be rubbish. The design of Death looks OK at first, but it's a bit cartoony and rubbery. Also, I don't think a cast that includes Nigel Planer and Tony Robinson is necessarily a good one. They've both got that whiff of Sunday morning naffness about them, sadly. It could be great, but I'm really not convinced.

Will it be as funny as it thinks it is? Or will it be a disaster?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Do Sky One have other shows apart from The Simpsons & Lost then?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Terry Pratchett's Hogfather is coming to Sky One this Christmas, as anyone who's walked past an enormous poster display in London will know. Terry himself has been involved up to the hilt in getting it to the small screen and we're promised a faithfully hilarious adaptation of the book.

Although this should be good n' Christmassy, there's a couple of things that are making me worried that it'll be rubbish. The design of Death looks OK at first, but it's a bit cartoony and rubbery. Also, I don't think a cast that includes Nigel Planer and Tony Robinson is necessarily a good one. They've both got that whiff of Sunday morning naffness about them, sadly. It could be great, but I'm really not convinced.

Will it be as funny as it thinks it is? Or will it be a disaster?
    isn't this the one with David Jason..

I always associate Tony Robinson with Blackadder, and there's no Sunday Morning naffness about that. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

I'm rereading this now (christmas tradition). I don't have Sky One but hopefully it will turn up on Three. I would never in a thousand years cast David Jason as Albert though. He's meant to be a scrawny cynical old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I always associate Tony Robinson with Blackadder, and there's no Sunday Morning naffness about that. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.
    and anything with David Jason in is usualy top quality stuff..

Except A Touch of Frost, his acting leaves me cold.

It was superb, really. The production was top-notch, the effects were lovely and it felt really Christmassy.

On the minus side, I don't think I get on with the Pratchett sense of humour! It's all setup as though I'm going to burst into gales of laughter at any moment, but I only found it gently amusing. It's odd, because I find Douglas Adams and Robert Rankin hilarious.

The fantasy elements were great, though. I can't pretend it wasn't enjoyable and very clever!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I enjoyed watching the first part so much. It probably helps that I've read all of the Discworld novels, because of my prior knowledge I almost punched the air in delight when regular Discworld characters like Archchancellor Ridcully and Corporal Nobby Nobbs appeared. I was laughing when Death/Hogfather tried to describe Nobby as a boy/person mainly because I know that Nobby Nobbs is meant to be an enigma, he's human, but so barely you're never quite sure.

I watched this at my Mum and Dad's. I'm the one of the family with the black humour, so obviously I laughed a lot. I've always liked Death (as in the fictional and immortal anthropromorphic personification that is ) and he was quite well realised. Loved the Victorian gothic style, and I like the character of Susan as well....not watching right now as I don't have Sky (but it is being recorded for me).

I did find it a bit difficult to follow though. Was this just me??
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Loved it. The best thing I've seen on Sky 1 in many a year.

It's undeniably the best thing that Sky One have ever done... probably!

bloody well peeved that i missed it - i've seen it advertised over the last few weeks on various Sky channels and did not pay much attention as to when it was on as Iwas expecting it to be shown over the christmas weekend..

Don't worry Larry. It's being repeated on Christmas Day and Boxing Day on Sky One.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It's on from 1:00 to 3:00, so it clashes both with DW: Confidential at One and getting Chrimbo dinner ready (most of the morning and well in to the afternoon).

See here.

Though I noticed my print copy of the RT has it scheduled for 6pm to 8pm (thus clashing with TRB). Which is more likely to be right?

just watched it very enjoyable and well done and just loved the black humour...

I think this was the best thing I have ever seen on Sky TV.

-Andy
    Foolish humans

Trudi G Guest

I recorded it when it was on because i knew i wouldn't get a chance to sit and watch it - but i just have and i've got to say it was brilliant! I love Terry Pratchett's sense of humour and the way he looks at the world - but very often don't manage to get through his books because there's so much to read! I absolutely adore Death, he was played to perfection. My only bugbare would be that Mr Teatime was just a little bit too much like Willy Wonka's evil cousin.
    Best quote? It had to be from Death himself... "Oh there has to be something in the stocking that makes a noise, otherwise what is 4.30am for?"
    Classic!!
    Last edited by Trudi G; 24th Dec 2006 at 11:07 AM.

I've finally seen the first episode and found it very enjoyable. The acting was top notch- Michelle Dockery was wonderful, and David Jason's Albert wasn't as bad as I'd expected. Marc Warren's Teatime sounded like Peter Lorre! And the nasal, anal voice of the Auditors was inspired.
    I was impressed that they stuck so well to the book, but at the same time I feel it could have done with a bit of pruning. I also felt the direction was a bit sluggish and static. The Arch chancellor's shower, for instance could have been jettisoned and just cut to where he was drying his feet. There were segments, which in the book were laugh out loud funny, only made me smile on screen. It was as though they were trying so desparately trying to squeeze everything in, you only got a brief glimpse of Terry Pratchett's genius.

All in all, it's very good but doesn't do justice to the written word.

Incidentally, Sky are following up with The Colour Of Magic and David Jason has , worryingly, been cast as Rincewind.
    Can't think what Terry has made of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Can't think what Terry has made of that.
    Ooh, I'd guess at about 500,000. May be more.

I think he'll be wizzard in the role.

@Tim & Paul.