Thread: Small McGanns

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Captain Tancredi Guest

In the words of Sydney Newman, nuts. Missed it at 6pm and was too far gone to catch it at midnight- which is a shame if for no other reason than than I've had a thing about Sheridan Smith for a while now. And in the absence of broadband or digital radio (we're talking about the Yorkshire Dales here, guys) it looks as if I'll have to catch the back end next week.

I bloody forgot about this!

I forgot too. I thought it was on today! Will have to catch it on the internet I suppose. It was a bit annoying because I was hoping to tape them all.

Buy them! And ensure Big Finish keep churning out crap FOREVER!

Si.

Oddly, Jon, I rather liked the 'whatever' exchange, and I quite like the notion of the companion irritating the Doctor so that McGann gets to be grumpy. I do wish, though, that now that Nick Briggs is both directing & executing producing, that he'd farm out some of the Dalek voices - I know he likes them done a certain way, but isn't that the job of the director? Maybe I'm just starting the new year feeling niggly, but I did think that his name popping up three times in the end credits was a bit much. No offence, but once the ring modulator is set, and once you've been given a bit of general direction, it's hardly red rocket science is it?!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I do wish, though, that now that Nick Briggs is both directing & executing producing, that he'd farm out some of the Dalek voices - I know he likes them done a certain way, but isn't that the job of the director? Maybe I'm just starting the new year feeling niggly, but I did think that his name popping up three times in the end credits was a bit much. No offence, but once the ring modulator is set, and once you've been given a bit of general direction, it's hardly red rocket science is it?!
    I wish i could do some!

I recorded this via the timer on my dvd recorder. Not listened to it yet though. I may listen to it today, but i'm tempted to wait & get Part 2 first.
    Does anyone know when Part 2 is on?

Next week at the same time, I think - yep, just checked the Radio Times and it is 6 & midnight next Sunday.

Wayne Guest

Thanks for that Andrew. I think i'll hang fire for a week then.

Where are all the "McGann sounds bored, Sheridan Smith has raped my ears, etc, etc..." posts? Call this a Doctor Who Audio Adventures forum?

Pip Madeley Guest

You're enough fanboy for all of us, Milky

I plan to listen to it later today via the Listen Again thingy.

"McGann sounds bored, Sheridan Smith has raped my ears, etc, etc..."
    I guess we're just too forgiving. I didn't find any reason to paticularly hate Blood of The Daleks, but it didn't excite me paticularly. We'll see with part two
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I found this quite dull, actually. I gave up after 20 mins

maybe I'll give it another go when I'm a little less tired.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Listened to the first part. Thought it was ok. Nothing special though. There's nothing so far that raises it above any of the other average Dalek stories. I thought there might be a novel twist but there wasn't. Not really.
    Still it kept my interest long enough to listen to part 1 so maybe part 2 will pick things up a bit.

Listened to the first part now. I wonder if a story about the Daleks invading a devastated planet could ever really have been exciting? It's just a simple, unoriginal idea (yet you can see why did it for the radio audience). If it had been on TV, the iconic images such as the Dalek saucer over the ruined planet would have pulled it through.

It's odd that I liked Lucie Miller so much - from her first scene I thought "oh no!" and that continued every time she said "Whatever!". She's like everything that's wrong with todays stroppy teenagers! But for some reason she wasn't half as bad as this implies, and has great potential.

That's about it really isn't it? Maybe the Daleks would have been more thrilling if Nick Briggs wasn't doing his turn in about every other story in every media these times, as it stood this was a solid story somewhat dulled by a sense of the over-familiar.

Si.

I hoping there's some big original twist in part 2.

All your negative comments have put me right off listening to this!

As it is, I've still got a few BFs, DWM freebies and the new Radio Times freebies to keep me occupied anyway - one day...

It gets a very good write-up in DWM - although I can't see where they get their 'fast-paced' opinion from, I would have said after the first 5 minutes it seemed v-e-r-y slow-paced.

Sorry Jonno!
    Its not bad just kind of average. Maybe our expectations were too high or something.
    Not sure if the DWM reviewer was listening to the same thing though.

I've just listened to "Year of the Pig" and, trust me, this is fast paced by comparison!

Si.

transvamp Guest

I really loved it. Much better than that lobotomised, bitchy, self involved New Series crap.

It was okay, but it hardly compares with the might of the new series really. On the one hand you've got an emotionally resonant, monster-packed exciting series of TV adventures in time and space, and on the other, let's be fair, you've got a handful of cheap actors in a by-numbers 'world in ruin' storyline. The new Series pisses all over it.

Si.

It's 5 minutes to magic time! Don't forget Blood of The Daleks Part Two is on almost now!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It was OK in the end. I think it would have been a lot stronger if they'd not included the Dalek fleet and had the experiments to produce a new race of Daleks as the focus.

Next week we get the Horror of Glam Rock, which will at least feature a lovely spoof 70's version of the theme tune!

Wayne Guest

I recorded part 2 via my digi-box, & am currently converting both eps to MP3 so i can listen to it on the bus to my mate's tomorrow. I'm quite looking forward to it, in spite of the negative comments.
    Well it's daleks innit!

I enjoyed part 2 a lot more (although I forgot about it until about an hour ago - tt, and I call myself a fan!) than part 1. And, is it just me, or did some of the musical cues sound a little bit New Series-inspired?

I think the two regulars are especially good, and I liked McGann's "Whatever" on the Dalek ship.

Not the most original story to start the series, but likeable enough in a not-quote-wow sort of way. Despite not having liked any of Paul Magrs Who stuff so far, I'm even looking forward to next week's gloriously-titled adventure!