Default BBC in talks with troubled Woolworths concerning future of 2 entertain .

I know there is a thread on the general forums concerning Woolworths, but this seems more relevent in this forum

BBC Worldwide are currently in negotiation with the troubled company Woolworths PLC to buy out their 40% share of subsiduary 2 entertain, the company responsible for many BBC DVD releases including, of course, Doctor Who. However, progression on the deal is dependent upon agreement from the BBC Trust; the Times reports: "BBC yesterday indicated that it would be willing to act quickly to take full control of 2Entertain, its DVD distribution business, for around 100 million pounds, because it wants to ensure there is no disruption to the delivery of its Doctor Who and more catalogue to the high street. A purchase by BBC Worldwide, the Corporation's commercial arm, is likely to be agreed quickly by the BBC Trust, because of the perceived importance of the venture. According to the BBC Worldwide accounts, the BBC made 41.2 million pounds of operating profit on its 60 per cent share of 2 Entertain."

BBC News reports: "Woolworths' publishing joint venture with BBC Worldwide, 2 Entertain, and its book wholesale arm Bertram have not been put into administration. The firm said it remained in talks to sell its 40% stake in 2 Entertain to BBC Worldwide, the BBC's commercial arm."

Woolworths PLC have themselves issued a press release relating to their operations, and re-iterates: "Woolworths Group plc is not in administration and remains in discussions with BBC Worldwide relating to the possible sale of its 40% interest in 2 Entertain Ltd."

However, their subsidiary, Entertainment UK, which supplies books and DVDs to supermarket groups, is being put into administration, and it is unsure how this will impact deliveries of DVDs to outlets such as Zavvi, Sainsbury's and Asda.

Intersting!

I expect that 2 Entertain will be rebranded and there'll be another slight change to the sleeve design of the Doctor Who DVDs.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

BBC yesterday indicated that it would be willing to act quickly to take full control of 2Entertain, its DVD distribution business, for around 100 million pounds, because it wants to ensure there is no disruption to the delivery of its Doctor Who and more catalogue to the high street.
    I can see the News At Ten headlines now - "Following news of the demise of Woolworths, things are about to get even worse on the high street amid fears that copies of Battlefield will NOT reach the shops on time."

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

I thought most of you hated 2Entertain anyway cos they botched The Invisible Enemy, and they should be brought to the verge of economic ruin by Doctor Who fans.

I don't think anyone had any genuine upset on PS over The Invisible Enemy.

Pip Madeley Guest

Indeed, we're not DWF.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by P-Bal View Post
    I don't think anyone had any genuine upset on PS over The Invisible Enemy.
    Oh I remember the thread well ...

yes there have been a few teething problems, like release scheduals being delayed made more frustrating by never geting a reason for the delay but in general 2-entertain, have done a pretty decent job.

Pip Madeley Guest

Delays in releasing DVDs doesn't bother me much, it's when there's a problem with the disc that affects the viewing of the story, such as the repeated footage in The Three Doctors, the missing effects shots on the original Remembrance of the Daleks DVD and the aforementioned problem with the end of Invisible Enemy part three. At least with the latter two they've gone back and fixed the mistakes, good service.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    At least with the latter two they've gone back and fixed the mistakes, good service.
    I'm not sure Wayne would agree with you
    Bazinga !

Pip Madeley Guest

I think part of the blame lies with Play.com there.

The only time that i've ever had a gripe with 2-entertain was over the release of the series 2 box set and for some unkown reason they did not put the pre-series 2 trailer on the extras some thing i was quite miffed about.