Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wayne Guest

Default BF 090: Year of the Pig

Well i suppose someone's gotta start the thread!
    Mine turned up this morning, along with the 'Return of the Daleks' freebie. I was expecting a subscription renewal form, but there wasn't one, so maybe it doesn't run out until next month. Oh joy!
    Anyway, i shall be listening to this on my travels on Monday. Will probably do 'Return of the Daleks' tomorrow.

Ring ring...
    "Year of The Pig is being held in a queue. Your Big Finish Doctor Who Audio plays are important to us. Please hold, and a member of the Hart/McCow household will be with you as soon as one is available. Thankyou for plopping on our doormat."
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Mine's sitting unwrapped and it's arrival has not exactly been the pork of the household. However, I know what the story is a-snout and I'll be bacon it with me when I go to work on Monday. I won't chop everything to listen to it though, as I doubt I'll like it a trot. It's probably full of hammy performances.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Mine's sitting unwrapped and it's arrival has not exactly been the pork of the household. However, I know what the story is a-snout and I'll be bacon it with me when I go to work on Monday. I won't chop everything to listen to it though, as I doubt I'll like it a trot. It's probably full of hammy performances.

Si.
    *slap*

Now be sensible.
    "I remember because cherries send me into a wild fury!"

Stop pigging on Si, David!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Yes David, you're just being i-rasher-nal.

*get in*

Nice to see you Bac-on form Pip!

Si xx

Well that's it, it'll take me saus-ages to think up another one.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I hope this new BF audio is a banger.

We should all stop hogging this thread with our piggy fun puns.

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

Good, cause I'm all out!

However, I know what the story is a-snout and I'll be bacon it with me when I go to work on Monday
    Aren't you having the day off, Si?
    Last edited by Andrew Curnow; 20th Dec 2006 at 10:35 PM.

Wayne Guest

I'll be *trotting this one out on the train to my folks' on Saturday.

*tenuous

Look, can we just stop all the pig-jokes please. There's snout clever about it.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I'll be *trotting this one out on the train to my folks' on Saturday.

*tenuous
    Oh Wayne! I expected Milky Tears to get that one in!

Wayne Guest

*Snort

Milky Tears is more likely to pork the hole in the CD.

I've not listened to this one yet, because it arrived and it realised it was yet another 6th doctor story, and i'm bored of them because BF have weighted too many in his favour. I'd rather have a run without the 6th for a bit so we can get some more 7th and 5th doc ones, which i tend to enjoy a lot more.

I hope we keep getting lots of 8th doc and charley and chris stories, because i've really enjoyed all of them since they came back into the new universe (even though i felt short changed with the stupidly short scardey cat)

There's only been three Colin's this year, compared to four McCoy's, three McGann's and two Davisons makes twelve monthly releases.

Si.

Yes, but despite that Colin has still had a lot more releases than either Peter or Sylv.

And I don't think bloody Evlyn still hanging around does Colin any favours, i couldn't stand her in the Marion Conspiracy and she is even worse now. As soon as we lose her for good and Colin gets a new companion and lease of life then the beter. He needs some freshness brought into his stories, its almost silly that its a welcome change when we get a 6th and peri story!

Mind you the 7th could do with a 'post ace' companion-and some stories without ace and mel, introducing hex is all fine but its still constrained by having ace there. Much as i like Ace she limits what can happen with the 7th.

Evelyn's only appeared in one release all year. It's not like your pet hates have been over-used this year - perhaps you should consider that some people like lots of Colin and lots of Evelyn, and that it's not unreasonable for those fans to see their favourite team just once every twelve months.

Si.

I like Colin and Evelyn. They're by far the best Big Finish team there is. I want more of them next year!

Si xx

Oh i accept that some People may like those. But i just feel that sometimes the balance has been very heavily in their favour over the last 7 years.

Then again i think it was a huge mistake to end the McGann seasons. So what if he is no longer the current Doctor, he was the one doctor that BF could do anything with.

I just hope that decisions like McGanns arc, and cutting story lengths and things are not based on what fanboys say on OG, after all most of them probably download the stories illegally rather than fork out 14 for some short waste of a CD so what do they care anyway, apart from making them download a bit faster. After all the best recieved stories are usually the very longest ones!

Anyway, back on topic.

CD one of the year of the pig and its strange not sure if its any good yet. It would be such a shame for such a good year for BF, if it were to end on a poor story.

After all the best recieved stories are usually the very longest ones!
    Really? I'm not an avid BF-er, but aren't Zagreus and The Game two of the longest, and two of the least popular?

Mind you, Jubilee is quite long too, and that's quite good. So I think I'll shut up now!

Oh i accept that some People may like those. But i just feel that sometimes the balance has been very heavily in their favour over the last 7 years.
    Well I have to disagree. Like I said, using this year as an example, there have been more McCoy stories than any other Doctor, and only one Evelyn adventure. If some years have shown an Evelyn bias, it's understandable as she's one of their most popular characters.
    Then again i think it was a huge mistake to end the McGann seasons. So what if he is no longer the current Doctor, he was the one doctor that BF could do anything with.
    Well they don't REALLY have any more freedom with him than with the other Doctors. They can't regenerate him, and they have the same freedom as the others to give him new companions and take him different places. So I don't really see why McGann warrants special seasons any more. Plus the Divergent arc got a mixed reception, and in my opinion got them out of their depth. It ended up complicated and confused, and I doubt many listeners were very interested in the K'roka etc. by the end.
    I just hope that decisions like McGanns arc, and cutting story lengths and things are not based on what fanboys say on OG
    Well, the "fanboys on OG" is just your way of saying "the largest Internet Forum for Doctor Who fans" - so some might argue OG and other forums are the best way of them gauging their audience. These are, along with DWM readers (and I suspect they consult each annual readers poll as well) the people that buy these things, so they'd be foolish to ignore them!
    after all most of them probably download the stories illegally rather than fork out 14 for some short waste of a CD so what do they care anyway, apart from making them download a bit faster.
    A baseless comment. Most of the people that post on PS about the audios buy them, because we often chat about subscription deals and the like.
    After all the best recieved stories are usually the very longest ones!
    Because "Zagerus", "The Next Life", "Minuet In Hell" etc. were SO well received wern't they?

Si.

No, But Jubilee, Chimes of Midnight, Holy Terror, Spare Parts, Loups Garoux, Project Twightlight, Kingmaker, and loads of the other longest ones all top the polls.

Someone on OG a while back posted a list of the 20 longest stories, and apart from the odd one like Zagreus and Minuet the rest of the list prettuy much made up the top stories in every poll.

Perhaps BF would be better carrying out a survey of its subscribers as a way of working out what people actually want rather than online forums. Because i do suspect a significant number of those that talk about BF don't pay for their CD's- if you've ever looked on a filesharing site you'll see just how many times BF's are downloaded! It wouldn't surprise me if the downloaders vastly outnumber the sales.

and did BF (Gary Russell on OG) not state they CAN regenerate McGann, they just can't use the 10th or 9th docs. They have full creative freedom over what they do with McGanns Doctor.