Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Then it's back to DW with Placebo Effect, Toy Soldiers, Sick Building, Vanderkeken's Children, Zeta Major and The Scarlet Empress (really looking forward to this one!) all lined up.
    Very organised!

I'll be interested to hear what you make of Placebo, Vanderdeken & Scarlet Empress. Particularly that last one!!

I'm working my through "About Time 3: Revised", and have reached Season 11. It's full of interesting things you never knew or realised. Robert Holmes: the only writer to have introduced three consecutive female companions...

Si.

Well, apart from RTD I suppose.

Depends if you count Captain Jack and Mickey.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

As female companions?

Si.

As companions.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I count them.

But then, I count Olla the Heat Vampire and Berty Wells. And Dr Tyler. Well, he travelled in the TARDIS! And "About Time" reveals that his first name is "Daunton" which is a great name for a companion - Daunton Tyler. I like it!

Si.

When you say "reveal" Si do you mean the authors of About Time actually just made it up?

You've got about 70:30 odds, which is fine by me!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post

We're stuck in Bracknell and it's not bad. It's not as if it's Stevenage or Hatfield!

Si xx
    My idea of hell is that of the one painted by the Doctor's mind for Ace in Timewyrm: Revelation. That was pretty cool, how Hemmings was given his own world to control...

Well, I am currently reading... er, nothing. (I should probably fix that!)

EDIT: Picked this on whofic: http://www.whofic.com/viewstory.php?sid=24369
    It's called On the Study of Shatter-Resistant Materials.
    Last edited by Terileptil; 28th Jul 2009 at 4:34 PM.

Finally made a start on Placebo Effect after finishing Deathly Hallows. You can tell it's a Gary Russell novel - 21 pages in and mentions of Fomasi, Wirrn, Rassilons, Guardian's of the Solar System and a couple of familiar planets so far. Oh and it's Stacy and Ssard's wedding. I'm not predicting a classic book, but I reckon it will be an entertaining one!
    'In search of some rest, in search of a break
    From a life of tests, where something's always at stake
    Where something's always so far...'

I have just finished reading War of the Daleks (very good) and am hoping that the next one in the EDA range, 'Alien Bodies', dosen't take too long to arrive through the post. In the meantime I'm reading 'Blue Box', a past Doctor adventure with the sixth Doctor. Ok so far except too much of Peri and not enough of the Doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Callingham View Post
    Ok so far except too much of Peri
    Most people like to see a lot of Peri ...

Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Lol yeah she's (reasonably) easy on the eyes I agree but I'd still take Lalla Ward or Sarah Sutton over her...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Callingham View Post
    I have just finished reading War of the Daleks (very good) and am hoping that the next one in the EDA range, 'Alien Bodies', dosen't take too long to arrive through the post.
    Is this your first run through the EDAs Alex, or have you read them before ? If not you've got a quite good run coming up - although Legacy of the Daleks has even more continuity-annoying moments than War. It'd be good if you're a new reader to post your thoughts on this thread

Oh, and welcome to PS
    Bazinga !

Alien Bodies is the best DW novel Lawrence Miles has ever written.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Agreed - to both Jon & Si!

I'm about half way through Wetworld and just startin the graphic novel Oblivion,the McGann comic strips being very rewarding thus far

Yay - from Oblivion onwards, the McGann strips really kick into gear

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Is this your first run through the EDAs Alex, or have you read them before ? If not you've got a quite good run coming up - although Legacy of the Daleks has even more continuity-annoying moments than War. It'd be good if you're a new reader to post your thoughts on this thread

Oh, and welcome to PS
    I've actually read a few before. Started with Crooked World and then Domino Effect.
    I then read Banquo Legacy, Ancestor Cell, and The Burning after hearing about the shocking plot in Ancestor Cell.

After next reading War Of The Daleks I've now decided to keep going from there (3 of the 4 before that are too overpriced for my liking anyway), as they're good books but are obviously enjoyed better in consecutive order - learnt this the hard way in Ancestor Cell when I didn't have a bloody clue what was going on half the time lol.

Alien Bodies arrived through the post yesterday so I've now started that. Seems pretty good so far.

Thanks for the welcome

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Alien Bodies is the best DW novel Lawrence Miles has ever written.
    Is that a recommendation?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Actually yes. It's very good.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

To give him his due, it's a really good read, and although the EDA range took a while to get going, Vampire Science and Alien Bodies were exceptionally good 'early' ones. I'd also say AB is far more of an 'accessible' or standalone read than his later ones - albeit some 'arc' stuff is touched on in AB.

Looking forward to seeing what you think of these early EDAs, Alex, as for all their faults, I really enjoyed that range of books.

Alien Bodies had better be a good read seeing as I paid £8 for a very worn looking used copy from ebay lol (actually a bargain compared to prices on Amazon). Probably gonna have to pay more when/if I get up to the 'interference' one's, but oh well, the majority of them are reasonably cheap, so I don't mind paying a bit more on occassions for the more sought after one's - though at £40 minimum, Vampire Science will not be one I'll be reading any time soon!

I tell a lie, Vampire Science down to £30 since I last looked (gees, what a bargain!). It's only rated 6.5 though (on The Tardis Libary site), compared to 8.4 for Alien Bodies, so judging by that it looks like I'm in for a good'un