Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Interesting - they've both good, but I think I'd rate VS higher than AB. Although it's a long time since I read either so maybe the Memory Cheats, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Callingham View Post
    I tell a lie, Vampire Science down to £30 since I last looked
    Blimey, I hadn't realised that some of the BBC books were going for as silly prices as some of the rarer NAs and MAs.

ETA: Just found two copies on E-bay, one as a Buy It Now for £13.99 + 1.00 P&P; follow the link if you're interested.
    Bazinga !

Interesting. It's certainly a better deal then Amazon, though £15 is still a bit steep for my liking, especially as it's not a book that links up with future EDAs (as I understand), unlike Alien Bodies, so I'm not really gonna be out of the loop if I don't read it. Thanks anyway

Pip Madeley Guest

I'm currently reading Charlie Brooker's Screen Burn - it's hilarious and so true!

the target novel - The Mutation of Time

I've finally got around to starting Interference! Not sure if I'm looking forward to another Lawrence Miles madness-fest but it's all quite simple so far - Sam has met Sarah whilst trailing the aliens, Fitz has been 'devoured' by the Cold and the Doctor is in a prison cell. I can cope at the moment but I'm sure it will all go odd very soon.

Wasn't Interference the big two parter? Something to do with re-writing the whole continuity of the show from an early point onwards.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Interference is where LM , and to a certain extent the whole EDA range, started to disappear up its own orifice - as the boffin in Jurassic Parks says, just because they could do something they never stopped to think whether they should.
    Bazinga !

I've now finished 'Alien Bodies'. Great read, I'd give it about 8/10

It's no slight on the BF range of Short Trips, I'm sure they're excellent, but a mere 10 months after I started it I've finally worked up the enthusiasm to continue reading the 'Defining Patterns' collection - I did Ian Briggs' Celestial Harmony Engine on Friday, which was interesting and suitably seventh Doctor-y, and last night read the short Mutiny (Harry Sullivan - a fun bit of fluff, over in three and a bit pages) and Numb. The latter was an excellent idea (season 11 Sarah believes she's read about the third Doctor's death in 1950, in a Government report - ie, in his future, but Earth's past) but really fizzled out with a nothing explanation - I realise that probably the emotion of the piece was more important than the 'plot' but it just didn't work for me, a shame.

More to follow I'm sure!

Pip Madeley Guest

I did 'Delta' with the commentary earlier today - not enthralling but pleasant enough, nice to hear Sara Griffiths, very sexy voice

"Reading..."?

I read another couple of the BF shorts last night - if there's one thing I can't stand, it's getting to the end of a story and feeling (a) that I've missed the point and that therefore I'm (b) a bit thick!! So in light of that, could anybody who's also read it please explain the story with the seventh Doctor and Josef (Stalin, one assumes) called "Closing the Account" to me. What was the Doctor up to, what was so urgent (mentioned at the start, and then as he leaves at the end), and what was all that with Ace - has she been there for years, or did she arrive with the Doctor, or... or maybe I am just a bit thick!

I'm about a third of the way through the novelisation of "Doctor Who and The Remembrance of the Daleks" which was a birthday present from a boy who shall be nameless.

I'm surprised how close to the TV version it is. There's the odd detail added here and there but most of it is as you'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    I'm about a third of the way through the novelisation of "Doctor Who and The Remembrance of the Daleks" which was a birthday present from a boy who shall be nameless.

I'm surprised how close to the TV version it is. There's the odd detail added here and there but most of it is as you'd expect.
    I love the stuff about the Daleks considering the Special Weapons Dalek to be an abomination! Excellent writing!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Yes there's lots of stuff like that from the Dalek's perspective. It's a pretty perfect novel really as it sticks to the TV story but expands on it. There must be a talking book version due soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    Yes there's lots of stuff like that from the Dalek's perspective. It's a pretty perfect novel really as it sticks to the TV story but expands on it. There must be a talking book version due soon!
    Read by Simon Williams?
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

I recently heard the Bernard Cribbins (Cribbo!) reading of Gary Russell's book, "Beautiful Chaos". In some ways it was an improvement over the other talking books I've had lately, in that the story wasn't utterly awful.

However, I found the Doctor using an alzheimers victim to defeat the Mandragora Helix the most horrendous thing I've ever encountered in Doctor Who. Tasteless and vile. I'm not offended by much, but this really made me feel absolutely sick. I cannot believe it got past quality control.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I have read about 7 or 8 books in the past month. My unread stack had gotten rather high, and I am a slow reader, so it was looking like I would never catch up. I still have the September 10th Doctor books, The Sontaran Games quick reads book, 1 Telos novella and the Farewell Great Macedon script book left on the pile, so the end is in sight. Well, it was until I ran across a set of The Darksmith Legacy for under $50. Sigh, a reader's work is never done.

Probably start on The Krillitane Storm tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinwho View Post
    I have read about 7 or 8 books in the past month. My unread stack had gotten rather high, and I am a slow reader, .

a slow reader I'd say 7 or 8 books in a month is pretty good going.
    i've just started to read The Time Medler.

Default I really am a slow reader

That's part of why 7 or 8 books in a month is a huge figure for me. And keep in mind we're talking 7 or 8 Doctor Who books, not War and Piece or anything. And one of those was a Quick Reads that even I can finish in one sitting.

What happens with me a lot is that I will start a book, and partway through there will be a hiatus of 2 or 3 months before I get back to it. Or there might be a couple of months between books.

It has been many years since there was a time when I did not have some Doctor Who material sitting on my to-read pile. The "two-novels a month plus some other stuff" years really piled up on me. Then at one point I started getting nearly caught up and I suddenly felt the need to track down all the Telos novellas.

I really do think there's a decent chance I'll find the bottom of the new books pile in 2010 sometime, at which point I'll have to dig out Missing Pieces, which I abandoned partway through. Not such a fan of the tiny print.

Anyway, back to The Krillitane Storm, which I did indeed start the other day...

I know they're really kids books, but I was given the complete Darksmith series for Christmas. They're short enough I'll probably get through the lot over the holidays, and I must say I'm enjoying the first one so far - at the moment it's essentially the same story as The Waters of Mars, but is instead The Dust of the Moon. Oh, and I'm enjoying Justin Richards' chapter titles, so far we've had The Hand of Fear, Escape to Danger, and even a reference to Dusty Death!!

Not that I want to spoil them for you, Andrew, but the ending is rubbish.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

That would be in the final book, called The End of Time... And just as an update, we've now had chapter titles Sentence of Death and The Dead Planet, and references to the planet in the second book being the Planet of the Dead!!

I'm making a little headway into all the Short Trips I got for Christmas by starting Short Trips: Past Tense.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'll be interested to see what you think of "All Done with Mirrors" when you get there, Si.

Similarly I've just started ST - A Day in the Life.
    Bazinga !