Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

I've just finished Autonomy and have moved on to The Krillitane Storm.

The two things I really don't like about these companionless 10th Doctor novels is that firstly, there has not been a single original alien since The Eyeless (which was pretty confusing anyway), and that the range has slipped away from traditional TV-like adventures, and is starting to become much more like some of the mid-late EDAs. Here's hoping Matt Smith's novels will be better.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

I'll be interested to see what you think of "All Done with Mirrors" when you get there, Si.
    It was an odd little story. On the one hand Elizabethan England was nicely evoked and it felt very atmsopheric, but on the other hand I didn't think The Doctor and Sarah were awfully well characterised (when did the 4th Doctor ever call Sarah S.J. for instance)

I did like the twist at the end though, particularly as it ties into some of the theories bandied about around Shakespeare's "true" identity.

But really I came away without any clear idea about whether I liked it or not.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    But really I came away without any clear idea about whether I liked it or not.

Si xx
    I thought it seemed like a historical drama with the Doctor and SJ ( ) crowbarred into it by someone who had had DW explained to them but who'd never actually watched it. I remember it took me at least 2 pages to decide if it was supposed to be Tom or Jon. And not really a short story, more like a novella.
    Bazinga !

Well, I was going to start in on The Taking of Chelsea whassisnumber, but my copy of the Target Book arrived and I dug into that instead. In two minds about that, really. There is an awful lot of career history stuff about publishers, editors, writers and artists, and to be honest, very little of it is interesting.

I thought it would be cool to follow the history of the range, and how it developed over time, but so far, not so much. Oh well.

Early 2010 should be kind of cool, though. Once I get through this, and the Chelsea thingy, I have Farewell Great Macedon, Eye of the Tyger and the Darksmith Legacy lined up. I'll probably make it through all of those before the first set of 11th Doctor Books makes it across the Atlantic.

Parasite by Daniel O'Mahony, which I've never got round to reading before, amazingly.

Doesn't Parasite have a bit of a reputation?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It does seem to drain your energy if you read it late at night.

Si.

Isn't it by Jim Mortimore??? If it's the one I'm thinking of, at least, with a very badly-drawn cover of Benny (probably) falling out of a sort of skyboat thing?

Assuming I'm thinking of the right book, it was one hell of a slog to get into it until about 3/4 of the way through when it suddenly seemed to really 'click' and I seem to recall rattling through the last portion of the book in a 'can't put it down' sort of way.

It's among the top 5 NAs I have never read.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Isn't it by Jim Mortimore???
    I was wondering when someone was going to spot the deliberate error *cough*. I meant Falls The Shadow by Daniel O'Mahony. Falls The Shadow and Parasite are next door to eachother in publication order. Senior moment... (Senior weeks are not uncommon for me!)

Oh dear, poor Stuart. Falls The Shadow is even worse, it just never got going for me, it was just page after page after page.... Still, I survived to tell the tale, so there you go!!

I quite liked that one, back in the day.

Si xx

Bizarrely, I'm re-reading Spiral Scratch. I say 'bizarrely' because I don't think I enjoyed it that much first time round - I guess the cover must have hypnotised me into giving it another go.

While you're under the 'fluence...

It's certainly giving me the hoopy-zootics!

Well you're going to have to see your GP about that!

That was an enjoyable book, wasn't it? the vast majority of it spent wondering how we're going to top the last gratuitous act of torture...

Just finished Only Human, and now I'm reading Feast of the Drowned. I really need to catch up on the new series books.
    Come to my blog: freakywho.blogspot.com

I kept wondering why that football was getting bigger. And then it hit me.

I am reading The Writer's Tale - The Final Chapter and it is a very imformative and enjoyable book. I like the way that they have just mainly used the emails that have been sent between Ben and Russell because it gives an insight into writing Doctor Who and the troubles that Russell went through to get it on screen. It is one of those books that when you start reading it it is difficult to put down.
    I hope what I just wrote made sense, it did when I was thinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinwho View Post
    Early 2010 should be kind of cool, though. Once I get through The Target Book, and the Chelsea thingy, I have Farewell Great Macedon, Eye of the Tyger and the Darksmith Legacy lined up. I'll probably make it through all of those before the first set of 11th Doctor Books makes it across the Atlantic.

Well, I'm catching up at last. I read The Target Book and Chelsea and then the Darksmith Legacy. By then, the first set of 11th Doctor books had arrived, and I had also got hold of Code of the Krillitanes. This past month or two I read Farewell Great Macedon, Code of the Krillitanes. Apollo 23, Night of the Humans, and The Forgotten Army, and I just last night I read the forward to Eye of the Tyger.

I've had Eye of the Tyger for several years, but I was always saving it for when I caught up on the rest of the to-read pile, and I'm finally there!!! (The July Matt Smith books have not arrived yet).

After that, I guess I can go back to Missing Pieces, which has had a bookmark in it since the year it was published. Print is so tiny, I just got tired reading it, but it's still on my reading list to finish someday.

I've got The Betrothal of Sontar, The Widow's Curse and Cold Day In Hell to read.

Lucky me!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'm reading Running Through Corridors by Rob Shearman and Toby Hadoke. Its a book where they are watching each episode of Dr Who and discussing only the positive things about each episode. Its actually really enjoyable and is making me feel like going through all the Hartnell episodes again.

After a long and enjoyable few months reading Sherlock Holmes, I've just recently started Prisoner of the Daleks. I'd pretty much given up on the BBC books (the last one I read was The Eyeless, which took me an age to work up the enthusiasm to finish) but this Dalek one is actually pretty good. A bit grim, not so 'light & frothy' as some of them, but very readable.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I'm reading Running Through Corridors by Rob Shearman and Toby Hadoke. Its a book where they are watching each episode of Dr Who and discussing only the positive things about each episode. Its actually really enjoyable and is making me feel like going through all the Hartnell episodes again.
    How did you get hold of this book Paul? Is it on general release?

I got it in Forbidden Planet, Stu. It was 5 pounds off. Not seen it in any ordinary bookshop though.