View Poll Results: Which Band Aid Is Best?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Band Aid - The Original

9 47.37%
  • Band Aid 2 - "The Fun One"

6 31.58%
  • Band Aid 20 - "The Pretentious One"

0 0%
  • None of them - Bah, humbug, I never want to hear the song again!

4 21.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Battle Of The Band Aids!

Having just watched all three Band Aid videos back to back, I thought I would take a chance to say what a wonderful concept they are. It may have had a stake run through the last of its credibility by the critical mauling "our" generation gave it on the last version, but besides the charitable aims it's just a lovely thing to have all of the day's pop stars come together to sing such an iconic song, and they really should do it every year.

And, you know what, I think all three versions have the ability to make you grin like a loon. But which one's best?

Band Aid (1984)

The original is certainly the 'text book' reading of the song, although these days the production sounds a bit muffled and the whole thing seems a bit grimy, befitting 1984. But it still boasts the most thrilling feeling of Pop Star's coming together, as the early eighties finest swan about the studio pretending not to see the camera and being cool. Boy George puts in a winning vocal performance and, though dated, those synth-bells still warm the heart. Bananarama are there, looking like three old slags as usual.

Band Aid 2 (1989)

Cliff Richard finally gets elevated to the position he deserves and sings the most, and in return wears Big Glasses in the video. The team-up of Sonia and Lisa Stansfield was inspired! And, c'mon, isn't it just great to see Kylie and Jason singing on this song? Bros are doing the swanning in this time, and clearly think they'll be around forever - Bono and Boy George have scarpered meanwhile. Marti Pellow is here! And so are Bananarama, with added JACQUI goodness.

Band Aid 20 (2004)

Today's pop stars are highly intellectual and 'musicians' therefore Chris Martin and Dido arrive to suck the life out the tune and relegate it to something "meaningful". Best bits? Robbie's phoned-in cameo, Will Young and Jamelia recreating the Stansfield/Sonia 'interesting team up' idea, and that brilliant Darkness guitar solo - they're untrendy these days, but it still sounds great! Worst bit - the song stops in the middle so everyone can have a cry. Still, the level of talent on show here is so great that they didn't let Rachel Stevens sing and Tom Chaplin has to share his one line with someone else who takes over half-way through. And no-one remembered to invite Bananarama.

And I haven't even mentioned THAT rap. At least it was different. This wasn't THAT bad was it?

So which version is best, and why? And don't you think it should be law that the song is updated by the pop stars of the day at least once every five years?

Si.

What about the Planet Skaro version, or does that not count?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Anyway I voted for number 2. I bought it, I loved it at the time and I think it's a shame it's been almost forgotten these days.

The first one is great too, and I haven't heard number 3 since it was out in 2004. I meant to buy it, but didn't in the end. The rap was a bad idea.

Si xx

What about the Planet Skaro version, or does that not count?
    I think we're all trying to forget that!

Si.

True! I keep thinking I might put it on, but I never quite find the courage to hear it again...

Si xx

I think it'd still sound terrible. We should do it again one today, when sobre!

Si.

I'm not sure even being sober would help a great deal!

Si xx

WhiteCrow Guest

I'm afraid I voted for none of them. Although I think it's a great song for what it achieved and it had it's heart in the right place, I don't really rate it musically at all.

I'd have to probably go with the first one though. Musicians on the original wanted to be part of something quite daring and political for the time, because they were so moved by the terrible pictures of famine they were seeing and the lack of any humanitarian response from those in power.

At the time we had the irony of huge food surpluses in the EU with talk of "wine lakes" and "cheese mountains", food produced which uneaten and unused. And just in our backyard mass starvation. Everyone felt a terrible powerlessness watching those pictures. Band Aid gave the injustice a kind of voice, and since then, how we treat the Third World has been more on the political agenda.

I sometimes feel with the spin off songs, it's mainly popstars trying to get on the latest Band Aid for their own publicity, rather than to support a cause - and that may be truely unfair of me to say that.

I voted for the first one.
    Nostalgia more than anything else.
    I did like seeing pete waterman on programmes afterwards saying his version sold more copies.
    And as for band aid 20... I knew they were never going to make poverty history! And now Bono and Geldof have become the puppets on strings for any leader to yank when he needs a shot of "cred" to gain the support.
    MakeUnitedNationsRapeFactoriesHistory.
    Yeah, can't see the "bright lights" of the music industry going for that one!

And can you please put Planet Skaro's version on youtube?

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I think it'd still sound terrible. We should do it again one today, when sobre!

Si.
    I think a Doctor In Distress cover might be better.

Or how about a Doctor Who Musical Adventure - it's never been done before.

They say I'm not terribly witty
    I've no understanding of pity
    I'm irate
    Filled with hate
    That's when I ex-ter-min-ate

Encased in my polycarbide shell
    I've superiority issues - can you tell?
    Let me state
    It's my fate
    To shoot-shoot-shoot ex-ter-min-ate

We're most superior beings
    Inside our killing machines
    If you'll wait
    I'll demonstrate
    Hold still as I ex-ter-min-ate

Or how about a Doctor Who Musical Adventure - it's never been done before.
    You're not the first person to suggest it you know!

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

You're not the first person to suggest it you know!

Si.
    Yes - I want to hear Paul Monk's kareoke, and I want to hear it now.

"Doctor Who and the Kareoke Masacre a.k.a. Murder on the Dancefloor"

Download "Christmas Spirits" in just a few weeks time for a taster of Paul's musical skills!

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Download "Christmas Spirits" in just a few weeks time for a taster of Paul's musical skills!

Si.

It's got to be the second one. It's like the "Five Doctors" of the Stock Aitken Waterman generation.

It's a crime that Dame Kim Wilde wasn't on either of the first two versions though and why wasn't Kylie on the 2004 one?

I'd give it 6 years and then do another one. Leona can do the "Sonia/Stansfield" version with Brooklyn Beckham.

Pip Madeley Guest

I voted for the original.

Why?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EbWz2Z6TAJQ

5:36 - 6:12. Nuff said.

I voted for a number 2.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Dave Lewis Guest

Who's having a pop at Dizzee Rascal's rap? Surely that was the only decent - or at least slightly original - bit of Band Aid III (as it should have been named)?

I'm too young to have appreciated the first one, too old to still enjoy the second one - although it's probably the best; A Linn steps up as ever and never disappoints - and too cynical to have any time for the third. I still have a more favourable opinion of the BBC "Perfect Day" from 1997 and that - admittedly shite - version of "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll" from a couple of years later; although I've no idea what the cause was for the latter, nor why I hold it in as high an esteem as I do. Yeah, it's wank... but the roll call is relatively A-list for the time.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    I still have a more favourable opinion of the BBC "Perfect Day" from 1997
    That was a brilliant song! What am I talking about - a magical song.

It was helped that Lou Reeds version was excellent too.

Band Aid is a worthy song, but it's not a great song to hear.

It annoyed me with that that they didn't give Kirsty MacColl a line. She was as much a high profile singer as some of the other lost people on it, and she'd just recorded a cover of it so THEY DIDN'T EVEN NEED TO GET HER IN THE STUDIO!!

Si.

Dave Lewis Guest

It annoyed me with that that they didn't give Kirsty MacColl a line. She was as much a high profile singer as some of the other lost people on it, and she'd just recorded a cover of it so THEY DIDN'T EVEN NEED TO GET HER IN THE STUDIO!!

Si.
    Perhaps they were worried that if they sampled bits of Kirstiy, they might have to put the mediocre nasal whining of Evan Dando on the BBC version as well. He's the reason I'm not a massive fan of Kirsty's version - a better choice of co-singer would have made an average cover into a great one.

Dizzee Rascal's rap on the third version is one of my favourite comedy moments of all time.

I voted for the second one!

I didn't actually say it was bad. I think it's best described as amazing. I mean, whatever else, it makes the listeners mouth just drop open. As in "WTF?!?!1!1!1!"

Si.

I'm not sure what makes me cringe more on the modern version - the rap or the bit where it all goes quiet and slows down and they all look so thoughtful and meaningful and pour out their crocodile tears - laying it all on with a trowel, such is the way of the modern world!

I've voted for the original - the early to mid 80s was "my" era of music and quite simply I prefer the artistes on this version. Plus I remember it all as a big event - straight in at number one, which was still a rarity in those days, becoming the biggest seller to date, and I even remember the news item with Michael Beurk that led to it all. Oh, and I got given the single (on vinyl natch) for Christmas that year. Happy days!

Its a horrible, horrible song. A miserable dirge that is for some reason hailed as a classic even though it has the most stupid, ignorant lyrics ever. I hate it.