Default Return of the Freezing Mouse

A while ago we had a re-occuring problem with our mouse cursor suddenly freezing and becoming unusable until the next re-boot - this happened at random times. Then we had our crisis with the trojan that destroyed the bootup sector and we had to start again with a cleaned hard disk. This re-fresh has actually been a blessing in disguise, and the computer has been faster, better and free from irritating bugs like the freezing mouse.

Now - guess what - after months without problems, the mouse has suddenly frozen again. So it looks like the problem is back back back.

What's caused it? Has anyone else experienced this? What's likely to be the cause and, more importantly, the solution?

Si.

Since you completely redid your software, I'd guess this is likely a hardware problem. You might try turning off the PC and unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in to see if the problem goes away again. If it doesn't, I would try a new mouse. Get a USB mouse that has an adapter to use the regular mouse port.

If you still have this problem with a different mouse, I would say the problem is the connector on the PC.. in that case I would dispense with the adapter and the mouse port and use a USB port.

Thanks Jeff. It could well be the mouse itself, it's just that it seems to lock up until the computer is re-booted, which suggests to me it must be something on the computer... or the mouse wouldn't start working again when the computer is reset?

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Does it happen when you're using a lot of resources e.g. running sound editing software etc? Could be due to a lack of memory (RAM).

Well it's only happened once so far, but it's the return of something that used to happen all the time before the crash. It COULD be lack of memory I suppose.

Si.