Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Doctor Who - Christmas Spirits

With the festive season upon us, the Planet Skaro series of Doctor Who audios is proud to present a special feature-length adventure to round off 2008! "Christmas Spirits" is the first PS Audio to be penned by popular poster, writer and all round goody, Paul Clement.

Christmas Spirits

"Three is a powerful number Doctor, especially in the world of spirit...soon I will be free of this hellish limbo. And just as in any good game of chess, the pawns will be sacrificed as neccessary..."

Arthur Cottonwood is a Victorian Gentleman like any other, and aided by his loyal employee Daniel Everett, strives to uphold a decent household and business. But Arthur Cottonwood hides a secret - he is plagued by voices from beyond the grave. And one spirit in particular, is determined not to rest easy...

Meanwhile the TARDIS arrives in Victorian London, and the Doctor, Nick and Rob set out to experience a bygone age after their recent battle against the Daleks and the Krotons. But soon the Doctor's curiosity is piqued by Cottonwood and his demons, little knowing that demons of his own are stirring in the ether...

The story stars Paul Monk as Doctor Who, with Steve Alexander as Rob, Dave Tudor as Nick, Andrew Clancy as Arthur Cottonwood, Simon Hart as Daniel Everett and Jason Thompson, Emma Thompson and Si Hunt as the Spirits.

--

"Christmas Spirits" has had a slightly more troubled production than other audio tales. A lively and productive recording session was held last month, with all present believing that the performances commited to disc were among our very best... but startling discoveries were unearthed that evening when it became clear that, due to a misfunctioning item of equipment, a good proportion of those precious recordings had been lost!

For a moment, it looked like "Christmas Spirits" was set to become our "Shada". But we refused to give up, and set about arranging a rapid schedule of remote re-recordings and an extra main recording session, all perilously close to the immovable event of Christmas that our story was themed around! I'm pleased to say that, thanks to the extraordinarily generous efforts of our cast for this story, all the missing material was recaptured, and "Christmas Spirits" can go ahead as planned! It's to these frankly wonderful people that this story is dedicated.

This 70 minute, feature-length festive story will go on-line in just one place - here on Planet Skaro! - on Saturday 20th December.

We'd also like to offer a free, spanking CD copy of the story to everyone as thanks for supporting the audios this year - simply e-mail a request and a postal address to si_hunt99@yahoo.com by next Monday 15th December and your CD will be sent to you by Christmas. The CD also features an exclusive Christmas Bonus adventure "Ezra's Knock", written by Paul Clement and read by the husky tones of P-Bal.

Happy Christmas!

Si.

Christmas is coming! Again!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Woo Hoo! Christmassy messages from the spirit world! This will have to be listened to along with Chimes of Midnight.

Looking forward to this one!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    The story stars ... Emma Thompson and Si Hunt as the Spirits.
    I was thinking for a moment that was going to be a shock piece of casting. Then I realised it wasn't quite the Emma Thompson I imagined ...

I'm sure it will still be good though.

Emma get yourself a stage name, and an equity card quick!

Our Emma Thompson is better!

Si.

This is going to be a good play. It's very different in tone to last year's christmas special, Doctor Who and the Christmas Gnomes (which is still available for download folks!) and I think you listeners are in for a few shocks and surprises!

I'm glad it all managed to get recorded, and thanks to Si, Paul, Jason and Steve for putting themselves out to make it all happen last Saturday.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Not forgetting Andrew Clancy who also did splendid work on the remount!

Si.

I'm amazed Tim hasn't come along with some smutty comment about the above!

Anyway, thanks hugely for this Si, and for all those involved in making the play, especially after the troubles that were had.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

We'd also like to offer a free, spanking CD copy of the story to everyone as thanks for supporting the audios this year - simply e-mail a request and a postal address to si_hunt99@yahoo.com by next Monday 15th December and your CD will be sent to you by Christmas.
    That's a lovely gesture

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    That's a lovely gesture
    It is indeed - hopefully I can still be able to put in a cameo from the other side of the world next year, as some of the recording has been fun.

Given some of the technical problems we've had with the recording of the story, I'm very pleased that this is coming out in time for Christmas, rather than the middle of February next year.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Given some of the technical problems we've had with the recording of the story, I'm very pleased that this is coming out in time for Christmas, rather than the middle of February next year.
    Yes - 'Valentine Spirits' doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    Yes - 'Valentine Spirits' doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it?
    Wasn't that the working title for Phantasmogoria ?
    Bazinga !

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I'm amazed Tim hasn't come along with some smutty comment about the above!
    I did think about it, it's the thought that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Wasn't that the working title for Phantasmogoria ?

Well, actually, the play could have easily been adpated for Valentine's Day and the death of love...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

There was a good horror movie called Valentine which used the whole Valentine Day as a theme. It was a nice twist.

C'mon evil Cherubs who shoot real arrows, who turns out to be a runaway Homunculus from the 51st Century. Think The Talons of Weng-Chiang-eque evil. What's not to love?

Not forgetting Andrew Clancy who also did splendid work on the remount!

Si.
    You're welcome Si.
    It wasgood timing as the following day the sound on my PC packed up completely and I still haven't fixed it yet!!!

Phew! No, seriously; that actually means if you'd been a day later there wouldn't have been a play. Seriously!

Si.

We were really battling against the odds, this time. I think we was saved by Christmas Magic!

Lawks a mercy!

Si.

Our Emma Thompson is better!

Si.
    Awww, thank you. I dodn't know whether to be flattered or suspicious that you might be trying to convince me to do more......

I am happy to do more audio plays, but keep the flattery coming anyway!

We'll have to see if someone wants to write a 'Doctor Who Meets Rainbow Brite' adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    We'll have to see if someone wants to write a 'Doctor Who Meets Rainbow Brite' adventure.

Sounds good to me! Any volunteers?!

WhiteCrow Guest

In a similar theme ...

In line with the recent audio adventure, I'd fancy penning Doctor Who on the Planet of the Care Bears or Smurfs. I don't know which.

Then the Daleks invade.

And there is lots of carnage.

But will the Care Bears/Smurfs love for each other overcome the hatred of the Daleks?

Nope ...

Actually isn't there an advert somewhere of the Smurfs being bombed? Produced by the UN no less ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4334086.stm

Oh the Smurf-manity!!!