Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Singles of the Year 2008!

Yes, it's time! I have to make a confession and admit that I have taken this very seriously this year! I've actually maintained a running list all the way since January, adding new songs when I get them and ranking them a few weeks or months later when I've determined how good they are.

Because 2008 really has been the Year of the Single! I've bought a few albums, but having made the effort to keep up with the charts every week I've found the world of digital singles immensely liberating. As usual, no-one will think my tastes eclectic or particuarly impressive, broadly speaking I tend to like the best (to my ears) of whatever's selling, purely because that's how it comes to my attention. But I've reguarly this year had sessions of making lists of potential new songs I think worth checking out, looking them up on Youtube or Myspace, and then buying the ones I think I'll like on download, regardless of who they are by. Fantastic fun! I find that method of choosing music far more free and easy than trawling through a CD I have risked a tenner on.

Anyway, away with the waffle, along with the Singles, and what a great year it's been! The media would have you believe the Single (which they tend to confuse with the "CD Single", an expensive bit of plastic housing more music than you want) is dead. Pish, I say! There have been hundreds of vibrant, enjoyable pop songs this year from the likes of Leona Lewis, Ne-Yo, Girls Aloud, Madonna, Rhianna and stacks more. Pop is dead? Long live Pop!

The rules are quite flexible in this digital world where you are often unsure if something has actually been released as a single or not... put simply, if it's been promoted as a single or lead song, or even suggested officially, then it counts. It's my list, I'll make the rules! Likewise, I WILL have picked a song that was released in 2007 by mistake, or not released at all, or released when I said it wasn't. Don't bother pointing it out, I don't care!

Let's do away with suspense and start at the top!

1. Jesse McCartney - "Leavin'"

I was somewhat obsessed with Jesse's previous album "Right Where You Want Me" simply because I liked it, but in actual fact it wasn't the most gripping or special album in the world by anyone's standards. Which made this new track - a classic from the moment you heard it - a revelation. Jesse had clearly spent the dollars and got in some production to match his songwriting talent (fresh from writing "Bleeding Love" for Leona). From the stomping beginning to the "All day all day all day" BV's, this remains as gorgeous and lush sounding now as the first time I ripped it off his Myspace. A song you just MUST own!

2. Cyndi Lauper - "Into The Nightlife"

Another song which nobody else is probably going to pick (but fear not, the rest are all familiar!). Cyndi re-invented herself this year with her first UK tour for ten years and the (kerching!) dance album she'd been threatening to make since becoming a gay icon over the years. And it's brilliant! She uses producers like Dragonette and Basement Jaxx (exactly the sort of people she SHOULD be using) and this thumping, jangling ode to clubbing is everything we hoped for. One of the best songs of 2008, undoubtedly.

3. Britney Spears - "Piece of Me"

One of the things I've found hard in making this list is telling a great song back in January from a great song here in December - because pop is so immediate, disposable really. You use it up and wear it out, as two grand wizards known as Pat and Mick once sang. Thus today I'm probably more into "Womanizer", and sick of this song (which was actually released at the tail end of '07 but was still around in January, so it counts). But I have to remember that this was, and is, a great, great song and a brilliant comeback for Brit. I can't remember if this is the one where she breathes "It's Britney, bitch!" or "It's been a while!" (or neither), but it scarcely seems to matter. Best lyric of the year for "Lifestyles of the rich and famous/Oh my God that Britney's shameless!"?

4. Leona Lewis - "Better In Time"

You'd get laughed at at work if you admitted it, but Leona has stormed beyond X-Factor winner to become one of the most popular Pop Stars of this decade - THERE'S A REASON! Devious marketting, canny song choices. Her elusivness and Big Hair threatens to turn her into an icon, and this song, tucked away on a Double A with something dreary, is one I really liked. Her voice is strong, husky and mourneful and the central refrain - "It'll all get better in time" is beautifully comforting when you're feeling down.

Incidentally, Girls Aloud's "The Loving Kind" would have come fourth if it had been released a few weeks earlier.

5. Madonna and Justin - "Four Minutes"

Hard to believe now, with the low-key "Miles Away" flopping, that from the same album Madonna pulled this thumping, perfect first single. Timabland production, Justin finishing off her lines, a video where she walks on cars, a great, anthemic chorus... you could have created this using a computer program designed to create the Perfect First Single, yet it's somehow even more inspired and enjoyable than that suggests. She's a canny old moose, still.

6. Robyn - "Be Mine"

Poor Robyn comes over as being a bit too eager to please, and this is another of those tracks from the start of the year... but what a good song this was. It may yet outlive her 'albatross' song "With Every Heartbeat" from the year before.

7. Katy Perry - "Hot N Cold"

I hated both Perry and her first single "I Kissed A Girl". But I'm not going to let that stop me enjoying this, which I loved the first time I heard. It's just a great song - a bit Pink-like, but more singable, and with tons of attitude. She'll be gone by this time next year, but we'll always have this.

8. Mariah - "Touch My Body"

Probably another victim of its early release date this year, this would have been in my Top 3 at the start of the year. By far the RIGHT choice for first single, it's bouncy, smooth and has a great video. She may still be recycling "We Belong Together", but who cares when it's as good as this?

9. Kylie - "In My Arms"

Kylie had a bit too much money than she knew what to do with this year, yet still stuffed lots up. The album didn't sell very well and was reduced too early, the lead single was the fourth best on the album, the tour was full of unreleased songs and the fourth single released was botched. And yet perhaps the most important point is that "X" was a great album, and was rich in potential singles. Take your pick, but this was my personal favourite - a nostalgic sing-along and the best robo-production going. "How do you describe a feeling?"

10. Birtney - "Womanizer"

I've chosen this to round off my Top 10 - it's a song which initially sounds by-numbers and lyrically uninspired, but the production gnaws away at you and it winds up sounding absolutely brilliant. And unstoppably catchy. She's effortlessly racking up the post-Greatest Hits hits.

Coming up... the songs that dissapointed this year, and those that just missed out on a place in my Top 10...

Si.

Bubbling Under...

11. Kelly Rowland - "Work (freemasons remix)"

Buzzingly producing dancefloor shouter and long-term favourite from Beyonce coat-tail chaser.

12. Sam Beeton - "What You Look For"

The honey-faced newcomer flopped with this, but I loved it. In hindsight it's clunkingly written, but still singable. Nicola Bryant appears to be in the video.

13. One Republic & Timabaland - "Apologize"

It seems less great now than it did six months ago, but this soulful Timbaland ballad touches a certain place.

14. Craig David - "Insomnia"

I was tempted to put this in the Top 10, but feared I would be doing so because it was so recent and fresh - it's a great comeback, sadly it didn't set the charts on fire. Pity Craig David.

15. Natasha Bedingfield - "A.N.G.E.L"

Did you know she still releases new hits in Americee? Not here though. Through the wonder of the internet I got to enjoy this brilliant ode to not having a crap boyfriend, despite her best attempts to resist selling it to me.

16. Akon - "Right Here (Na Na Na Na)"

Again, this might be in the Top 3 if I was foolish. It's still great though, and I love his echoey, rather whiney vocals. This is what pop music is all about - it doesn't matter that it'll get forgotton, right now, right this minute, it's fresh and gorgeous and I love it.

17. Britney Spears - "Break The Ice"

Here she is again! A busy girl this year. You know, I've a sneaky feeling that this also-ran single from "Blackout" is going to rear up at us and quietly become an all-time classic. From the honking horn at the start to the nagging chorus, it has all the hall-marks of a dancefloor giant. And it was only the third best song on the album.

18. Kylie - "The One"

Another song from "X". Er... another song from "X". But another good one.

19. Rihanna - "Disturbia"

Rihanna released the fortieth single from "Good Girl Gone Bad" and again it managed to be amazing.

20. Girls Aloud - "Can't Speak French"

I don't like all their songs, and I didn't much like "The Promise". What with the superb next single not being out quite yet, they were unlucky not to feature much in my Songs of the Year. But this I like - a deceptively simple almost-throwaway single with a fun melody.

Sinking to the Bottom...

A few tracks from the very lower reaches of my list...

74. Craig David - "6 of 1 Thing"

Worryingly, this was the highlight of the album at the time, but time has shown it up to be not very good.

72. Sam Sparro - "Black and Gold"

Everyone else loved this, and for some reason I just didn't. I still can't remember it.

67. Estelle - "American Boy"

Likewise, it was funky but there was something annoying about Estelle - suddenly up there saying things like "It's dope" and schmoozing with Kanye, when we all knew that she was really just a pop reject having a lucky second bite of the cherry, like Robyn.

Could Have Done Better...

The songs this year that really dissapointed...

77. Morrissey - "That's How People Grow Up"

Very by-numbers for the new track on a Greatest Hits album.

79. Same Difference - "We R One"

Yes, they are creepy but there was the chance for some real Steps/Tracey Ullman esque bubblegum fun. Alas, after years of launching un-Eurovisionny British Loved Pop at Eurovision, they made them do a Eurovision style song, which no-one really wanted.

68. Alicia Keys - "Like You'll Never See Me Again"

After the brilliance of "No One", I really wanted to like this, alas it was just poor.

61. Sugababes - "Girls"

Annoying advert song which was just not an eclectic enough choice of cover, and therefore a bit of a sell-out. Changing it slightly wasn't good enough for me.

58. McFly - "One For The Radio"

Not bad, but no great first single either. There were moments of sheer brilliance on the album, not here though...

SO WHAT ARE YOUR FAVOURITE AND LEAST FAVOURITE SINGLES OF THE YEAR?

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

omg - you actually went at far as 70s in your rating of songs? You DO take it seriously.

I have to say I didn't hear much of this new music, and actually turned into a musical Indiana Jones this year, seeking out gems for times past instead of so called "new music".

As I said Mike, I just kept a list going. And I bought or uploaded more than 70 songs this year. Shows what a good year it's been for Pop!

Si.

I really liked Sam Sparro's Black and Gold, but it took a while for it to grow on me.

I'm not a huge follower of singles, and I haven't really bought any all year. I'm an album lover, me. However I did get excited enough about one track that I simply had to download it, and that was I Thought It Was Over by The Feeling, which was quite simply superb. A Great Song! Especially the instrumental break in the middle with the piano stuff. I Love it!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

You might be interested to know that The Feeling have a one-off download-only Christmas Single coming out on Monday Si, called "Feels Like Christmas".

Si.

Ooh! I hadn't heard about that Si. I might have to check that out.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Ok, then! I feel duty bound to post my top ten as I can't stand any of Si's choices (sorry Si!), such is the diversity of taste! or lack off....no, no, I'm joking, really!

I would choose...

Girls Aloud- "The Promise"

Duffy- "Stepping stone"

MGMT- "Time to pretend"

Oasis- "Shock of the lightning"

Ting Tings- "That's not my name"

Ladyhawke- "Paris is burning"

Mystery Jets- "Two doors down"

Glasvegas- "Geraldine"

The Last Shadow Puppets- "My mistakes were made for you"

Various reasons, but I'll have to give them later as I don't have time!

I know The Ting Tings gets on people's wick after over exposure, but it is top pop tune!

It's odd you say you can't stand any of my (pop-orientated) choices, then go on to pick a "top pop tune" and something by Girls Aloud, who were actually in my list with the single before the one you picked.

Si.

I can't put stock in any list that doesn't have 'Viva La Vida' and 'Rock n' Roll Train' in the top ten.

"Rock N Roll Train" hasn't been released over here yet Jeff! I liked "Viva La Vida" but not enough to put it in the Top 10!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    It's odd you say you can't stand any of my (pop-orientated) choices, then go on to pick a "top pop tune" and something by Girls Aloud, who were actually in my list with the single before the one you picked.

Si.
    All too easy! Sorry for trying to wind you up there, Si, no offence meant!

I wasn't being totally serious there, although much of your list isn't actually my cup of tea at all. I've nothing against 'pop orientated choices', but here is a certain type of pop that really makes me want to be in another room. I can't quite put my finger on it...

All too easy
    Indeed. You should try something more challenging next time.

Si.

"Rock N Roll Train" hasn't been released over here yet Jeff! I liked "Viva La Vida" but not enough to put it in the Top 10!

Si.
    I'd probably put it #1. I just realised that besides those two that I mentioned, the only songs mentioned on this entire thread that I've even actually heard so far are "My Mistakes Were Made For You" and "That's Not My Name".. both from Carol's list (I don't really rate 'That's Not My Name, but I'd put 'Great DJ' in my top ten probably).

As far as I know AC/DC has not released any digital content at all... it's either buy in the store or not at all, so if the CD singe is dead over there, that might be why it wasn't released as a UK single. Technically though, the thread doesn't say UK singles of the year, so since it was a single in the US and Candada (and Australia I'm sure) it's fair game

Indeed. You should try something more challenging next time.

Si.
    Hmm, that's hardly the on-line forum equivalent of "no hard feelings, Carol" is it. We have very different tastes but sorry for teasing you.

Pip Madeley Guest

My singles of the year...

Rihanna - Don't Stop The Music
    Keane - Spiralling
    Goldfrapp - A&E
    Hot Chip - One More Thought
    Kylie Minogue - The One
    Duffy - Warwick Avenue
    Keane - Perfect Symmetry
    Alphabeat - Fascination
    Goldfrapp - Caravan Girl
    Madonna feat Justin Timberlake - 4 Minutes
    Estelle - American Boy
    The Ting Tings - Shut Up And Let Me Go
    Roisin Murphy - You Know Me Better
    Coldplay - Viva La Vida
    Keane - The Lovers Are Losing
    Ladytron - Ghosts
    The Killers - Human
    Madonna feat Pharrell Williams - Give It 2 Me
    Goldfrapp - Happiness

One hell of a playlist!

Good choices Pip!

Si.

Ladytron! Inspired choice!

I shall think on these things. Does he wash up? HE NEVER WASH UP! Does he scrub up? HE NEVER SCRUB UP!

Pip Madeley Guest

We were talking about how annoying that song is in work yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrow View Post
    I have to say I didn't hear much of this new music, and actually turned into a musical Indiana Jones this year, seeking out gems for times past instead of so called "new music".
    I've been the same this year, I'm sure a lot of good music has been released but it's mostly passed me by. I think it's mainly because I haven't been to any festivals this year (which is where I normally fall in love with a good few new bands) and that financially I haven't been able to take the risk with buying new albums - infact I think I only bought one album that was actually released in 2008, by the rather lovely Fleet Foxes, though I'm not certain which singles were released from it this year.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

I forgot to add:

Ne-Yo - Closer

Best R&B track of 2008.

Well, there was 'Ready For The Floor' by Hot Chip...

'Black and Gold'... and '21st Century Life'!

A couple by The Feeling and Goldfrapp, all good...

And umm... I quite liked 'Bad Blood' by Supergrass.

But I've spent most of the year avoiding the music channels because they're full of bloody rubbish. Worst single of the year was Madonna and Justin Timberlake, with 'Tick Tock Tick Tock'.

Then there was the horror of a Kaiser Chiefs / Razorlight / The Killers comeback singles. Gah!

The Ting Tings had a fairly interesting trajectory with all their singles -
    1) Initial apprehension
    2) Sense of 'quite liking it'
    3) Listening to it one morning and having it going round my head all day
    4) Hating it with a heartfelt passion.

That's pop for you!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Meaning no offence to anyone, but I think the main "problem" with the charts is that most people don't get a chance to hear them. Records come and go so quickly, I know I put in a real effort to hear new singles and even I find songs passing me by if I take a week or two off. I think most people think modern chart music is rubbish because they simply don't hear most of it.

It's interesting that 7 of the acts in my Top 10 are American, with another Australian, a Swede and only one UK act. I think that probably says a lot about music in general, given my top tunes were all big sellers; the best acts in the pop world right now are sadly mostly American; certainly a lot of the big vocalists are, not to mention all the R'n'B acts.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Meaning no offence to anyone, but I think the main "problem" with the charts is that most people don't get a chance to hear them.
    Well I only listen to Radio 1 on the way to work with my wife when she's driving.

And of course with Chris Moyles, he's too busy talking about last night's TV, having a moan, or going how wonderful he is to actually play any music.

In all seriousness though, I kind of take music as seriously as I take comedy. Which isn't supposed to be ironic, I mean that seriously.

I'm very passionate about music. Because when it's done right, it can be one of the most rewarding, emotional experiences. A real journey.

But most new music, and particularly pop music just doesn't do anything, it feels fake, plastic.

However it does happen. There's been a few times I've been driving home and heard something on the radio which really blew my mind, and I've repeated the name of the band like a mantra all the way home, then looked them up. "Anthony and the Johnsons" was one, "Regina Spektor" another. But neither really chart music at all. Just from sales, then no doubt Britney Spears is ten times the artist Regina Spektor ever will be. However sales ain't everything.