Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In Their Own Words

Did you know that the Doctor Who Magazine team have sneaked out a follow-up to the semi-popular 'In Their Own Words'? This time it covers 1970 to 1976, so that's all of Jon's stuff and some of the Tom Baker years.

For some reason I haven't found these releases too exciting. They aren't a patch on the 'Complete' collections for each of the Doctors that they did a few years back, which were funny as well as thorough. In Their Own Words is certainly definitive, but as all the interviews are reprints it feels a little dry.

Will you be rushing to the WH Smiths to pick up your copy?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I thought the 1960s one was the surprise DWM hit of last year, actually - in theory, a reprint of bits of old interviews should have been dull, dull, dull, but I read it in about a day, it was very well put together.

I didn't know they'd released the follow up - as a rule Mr Cragg usually very kindly picks me up a copy of the specials from his local newsagents (I do reimburse him, I hasten to add) so the question is, does Ian know it's out?

I hope my brother managed to grab this one - I had anticipated that my local comic store would get it in, however they've got some cashflow problems, so they won't get any new magazines in until the new year!

Luckily DWM's not so hard to get hold of, but if I miss the special it'll be a lot of work to get hold of!
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Your brother did buy it yesterday... I was with him at the time!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

This was purchased at the weekend, we were amazed as we didn't know it was out! I felt too frazzled to actually read it, but it has some nice pictures in.

Si.

I always miss these.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Your brother did buy it yesterday... I was with him at the time!

Si xx
    Hurrah!
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Its really quite good. I, like Andrew, thoroughly enjoyed the last one and this is just as good.
    I never knew that Katy Manning was blind as a bat and that John Levine didn't love her for her body or something.
    And of course, once I've finished my copy will be winging its way to Tim's house.

In fact I might sneak to the loo and read some more.

And of course, once I've finished my copy will be winging its way to Tim's house.
    You're a gent.
    In fact I might sneak to the loo and read some more.
    Too much information me thinks.

I've never understood the whole reading on the bog concept.

I really enjoyed this magazine. It's good to read in bed as it's very undemanding and quite disposable. It's a bit greatest hitsy but I for one can't remember half the original interviews they've quoted from.

Reading on the loo is comforting as the seat warms up and it gets rather cosy.

Si.

I bought it last Thursday and read up to page 32 so far...

I've bought it, flicked through it and actually managed to read 0 pages so far.

I felt like that Paul, but I picked up a few lines last night and it's actually quite good.

Si.

Perhaps the problem I had was that I got it at the same time as the last DWM, which I tried to read through but found more than a little dull. After that the idea of reading something else about Dr Who seemed a little unappealing. I'll give it a go later.

People who eat enough fiber don't need to read on the toilet, cos they can get done with their business quick like.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I didn't know they'd released the follow up - as a rule Mr Cragg usually very kindly picks me up a copy of the specials from his local newsagents (I do reimburse him, I hasten to add) so the question is, does Ian know it's out?
    Ian knows it's out, he's just having a horrendously expensive month and also hasn't had the chance to go into his local newsagents this week because he prefers to use them rather than the big shops in Leeds.

Fair enough, and I quite understand. I just thought it worth a mention though, as it seems to have been released with no advertising whatsoever, not even in Clay's opening spiel in the last DWM, and it was possible that, like a Vogon spaceship not being spotted by Goonhilly or Jodrell Bank, it had entirely slipped under the radar.

Re-reading Rob's opening post... 1970-1976 seems a rather odd period, doesn't it. Not a whole decade, but not a half a one either.

Captain Tancredi Guest

If I'm absolutely honest, Andrew, it's slipped under my radar to an extent too- or simply not been enough of a priority this week as my internet sales seem to have taken up most of my lunch hours so I've been out of the shops. Possibly the idea with 1970-1976 is that the next one would cover 1977-1983, say, and the period when DWM started doing serious interviews in their own right as the series was in production. The one thing DWM have got that you can't recreate are the feelings of the likes of Peter Davison and Colin Baker as they were just taking on the role.

I didn't mean to sound quite as waspish as I did, either- just that being spoken about in the third person is a bit of a bugbear of mine and I tend to reply in kind!

Actually, that might make sense - I suppose the later years are bound to be more well-represented in the DWM Interview Archive.

And, sorry about the third-person thing, I know it irritates people, and I do usually try to avoid it.

Andrew will try not to do it in future...
    Last edited by Andrew Curnow; 24th Nov 2006 at 8:43 PM.

I think I'll leave the magazine on the breakfast table and see if it goes down well with Weetabix.

The interview segments are nicely bite-sized, but I think they suffer from a slight lack of context. I'll give it another go though!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Was going to post in the DWM thread, but then I remembered this earlier McCow effort.

I bought DWM Special Edition 16: In Their Own Words Volume 3 1977-1981 ( ) today and will probably get round to reading it sometime in the next five years. Looks quite good.

then I remembered this earlier McCow effort
    But our people were able to get there first...

I love the cover of this one, it's superbly orange and has 4 icon action. Gareth Roberts writes a lovely heartfelt endpiece too. This will enliven many a breakfast over the next week or two I feel sure!

I have a feeling that Mr Hart's dreams might look something like that cover!

I'm enjoying reading it, especially the Tamm'n'Ward parts, they tell it like it is!

Quote Originally Posted by P-Bal View Post
    I have a feeling that Mr Hart's dreams might look something like that cover!

I'm enjoying reading it, especially the Tamm'n'Ward parts, they tell it like it is!
    It's true, only they're slightly less orange.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.