Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Is that his costume?

Si.

I don't know if it's my natural optimisim kicking in or something, but I was rather impressed with how he came across in that interview, and I can see some qualities there that will make for a fine Doctor- especially the finger waggling thing which was brilliant. The last shot after the monatge of Doctors just seemed so right to me.
    I thought he came across pretty poorly in his interview. For an actor, his linguistic skills seemed rather limited. I've seen him in a few things, and don't particularly rate him as an actor. Hopefully this will be a role he rises to.

Are you taking the piss Sugartongs? Or are you really deciding to give up on Doctor Who before the new Doctor has even been seen on screen? Have an open mind man!

Si.

The fact that facially, he reminds me of Richard Kiel is a bit worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by sugartongs View Post
    Maybe Ant & Dec will be there to make my Saturday nights.
    Even when Doctor Who isn't on that is blasphemy!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I got the impression the hair was half the reason they cast him!
    Exactly why it should go. Too similar to Tennant's. And not ginger.

Not ginger is a very good thing.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm know the Tardis is bigger on the inside, but even still I'm not sure if he'll be able to fit his forehead in there.

To be fair, after the initial shock, I'm thinking it could have been far worse a choice (James Nesbitt, Paterson Joseph, Lesley Sharpe), and I will withhold judgement until he's at least had the chance to establish himself as the Doctor, that's only fair after all. I'm genuinely disappointed that it's not Chiwetel Ejiofor though, as I think he's an excellent actor.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I have to admit that he looks great on the BBC website.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn. What an anticlimax. But doubtless I'll be as wrong in my gut reaction as I was when heard Catherine Tate was going to be the companion. At least I hope...
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

It's like I'm 5 years old on New Year's Eve! I fell asleep an hour before the programme came on! So when I woke up they were talking about Colin Baker.
    I missed all the suspense and when it was revealed it was Matt Smith...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gisela View Post
    IT'S MR POTATOHEAD!!!
    Pretty much! at least we won't have to worry about him snogging his companions
    (my eyes!!!MY EYES!!!!) I wish him all the luck and hope him every success. But he seemed a bit David Tennant with the clips they showed of Matt?
    Oh well, better get used to it! And as I've said they usually win me over.

...but I still reserve the right to take the piss out of him!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cloud (Slight Return) View Post
    ...but I still reserve the right to take the piss out of him!
    I think that goes for all of us!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cloud (Slight Return) View Post
    So when I woke up they were talking about Colin Baker.
    During the two seconds they gave him. He's not one my favs by any stretch but I thought he could have been given a bit more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I don't think he's going to be a popular choice though with some fans. But as always I'm going to wait and see until we see him in action next year.

Si xx
    lets face it Si, who ever they had given the part to he would not of been popular choice I've had a look at the posts on digital spy and already you've got the usual muppets slaging off Moffet and Smith and saying they won't watch series 5.

Is that his costume?

Si.

doubt it it looks a bit to much like ecelson's out fit

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I thought he came across pretty poorly in his interview. For an actor, his linguistic skills seemed rather limited. .

to be fair I don't think you can base an opinion just on that I've seen many actors who don't come across well when being interviewed simply because there not comfortable with it.

Are you taking the piss Sugartongs? Or are you really deciding to give up on Doctor Who before the new Doctor has even been seen on screen? Have an open mind man!

Si.
    Of course i'll watch the first episode he's in to see if he can sway me, but i'm not excited and hugely disappointed tbh.
    A revolution without dancing, isn't one worth having

Like Si, maybe it's a sort of natural optimism (where Who's concerned at least) kicking in, but I quite liked him!!

I'm old enough to remember the Bonnie Langford riots of the mid-80s, and the harsh sanctions put in place by the Outpost Gallifreyan Government when pop princess Billie Piper was cast, so I can't get worked up into any kind of 'we hate this guy' frenzy over this announcement - I dearly hope that OG and its ilk aren't full of anti-Smith posts (although I know they will be, so shall be steering well clear).

I must admit, when his name popped up yesterday I could just vaguely remember seeing him in that Ruby in the Smoke thing, and him not making much of an impression - but from the brief interview today, and the clips from his other work, I genuinely think he's got 'something' about him which marks him out. With a bit of luck we've done it again, and secured an up & coming actor just as his star is going into the ascendant (ie, just as with Tennant). Certainly, I've pleased they've had the confidence to go with a virtual-unknown rather than 'a name'.

Also, I was at least as interested to finally put a face to the name of Piers Wenger, even if he did seem to be suffering with a severe cold when he was interviewed!

So.... good choice, I say, and although I'm sure I'll enjoy the 2009/2010 specials and more of David, I'm really looking forward to number eleven.

Let's give him a chance, nay-sayers!!

For an actor, his linguistic skills seemed rather limited
    Luckily he'll have scripts to provide the words!!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Hmm, he does seem to have a certain charisma, even if he does remind me of those slightly pretentious Southern types who used to get up my nose at university. But I think the confidence in him that RTD and Moffat exuded in the interviews speaks volumes.

I have not seen anything that Matt Smith has been in so he is a complete new commer to me but I am not going to make any real judgement until he has had a go at playing the Doctor. I made that mistake the past season when I had read somewhere that with Catherine Tate as Donna that they would be going more comedy in the season than there has been and I was mistaken. So I will give Matt a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post

I simply REFUSE to believe that the BBC have cast a spotty oik held together with hair gel and wishful thinking in the most important role in television.
    I know how you feel. This has to be the worst casting in Doctor Who history and might be the straw that broke the camel's back for me and the new Doctor Who.

-Andy
    Foolish humans

I simply REFUSE to believe that anybody could decide not to watch a TV show in fifteen months based on a five minute interview.
    Come on guys, get a grip!

WhiteCrow Guest

I'm not terribly happy about this. About 10 years ago me and my best friend fancied the same woman, and I lost out. His name was Matt Smith.

Thank you very much - now my favourite TV program is going to remind me of Kate Louise Fox now!!! And usually I turn to TV for escapism.

It does make sense to have a younger Doctor - there is a lot of a physical aspect to the role now. David Tennant is leaving to spend more time with his back and less time on a harness.

That said I did kind of warm up a little to Matt Smith, and I can see there is potential, but I'm not convinced. He is wierd looking, kind of reminiscent of Frankensteins creature me and the wife thought. And that emo hair style has to go!

The real problem was I thought RTD could be a bit pretensious in Confidential. And here comes Steven Moffat to up the ante!