Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Young Doctor... old companion?

So, we've got a new, young Doctor Who. Hooray for that... but what about a companion?

I saw a freind of mine on Facebook suggest an older companion to accompany him and I thought- Yes! That would be brilliant. What a great idea. There would be a great new dynamic there and it could take the show to new places with a very young Doctor paired off with an older woman (or man) who will always be taken on face value as the one with the wisdom and stuff? Works for me.

But what do you think? What kind of companion would like for Doc 11?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I think that's a good idea - I certainly hope we don't get another companion who's in love with the chap (whether it's reciprocated or not).

I'd like to see Liza Tarbuck as companion!

I think maybe someone like Evalyn Smyth from the Big Finish audios would be good. Someone who can stand up for themselves and can put the Doctor in his place when need be.

WhiteCrow Guest

I'm betting they'll go for an even younger companion. Possibly one of the really young kids from MI High.

As least the Doctor will be cured of his snogging habit!
    And I think an older companion would be perfect.
    Wasn't it proved children prefer seeing older people than them in their serials?

to be honest I think we do need a companion who is a little older then Matt, . I do ' just wonder if they will again chose a relative unkown for the part.

Bring Back Sarah Jane!

She's old enough to be his great, great grandmother!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

RTD has confirmed that the first 'Specials' companion will be a young girl, and then next one will be an older woman. So it looks like we may indeed get an "Evelyn Smyth" type.

Si.

uhhh, why a female companion? we haven't had a bloke companion in a loooong while!

i say we get another duo companion ala polly and ben!

Dave Lewis Guest

It won't be somebody older and it won't be a bloke; it'll be Sally Sparrow.

i think sally sparrow is one of those things that's best to only be brought on for a one-off and that's it.

I wondered about the possibility of an older companion, but somehow I don't see them going for it. After all, Catherine Tate is older than David Tennant, and Donna obviously a fair bit older than Rose or Martha, so is having someone of that kind of age or older enough of a change. Not that it matters, there's a gap in between and I'm not saying we have to go poles apart everytime there's a change of companion, but Donna's already shown that the Doctor's friends aren't all clever kids aged 18 to 22, so I don't think there will be any pressure to avoid the sterotype.

To add to the mix... with a lesser known Doctor on board, would you like to see more of a 'name' as his companion? Not to speculate on the type of character or age or anything, but someone like a Julie Graham/Marc Warren/Sarah Smart level of fame perhaps; recognisable without being a mega-celebrity, like a reliable draw for drama. Obviously this is all speculation, I'm not even sure what I'd like to see myself yet! But I guess what I'm asking is do we thenk we need extra pulling power in the casting now?

Hmm... just read that back and it doesn't make much sense, so please excuse my ramblings!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    It won't be somebody older and it won't be a bloke; it'll be Sally Sparrow.

oh yes please......

Well going on what was on the Beebs HYS we should be hoping for a blind uniped asian with boarderline OCD, dyslexia and raging bisexuality - as an example to the kids of what a multicultural society we live in.

Though sadly I assume Torchwood would call baggsie on this archetype first.

Can we not have K9 back? Or failing that 1-Rover-1.
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

Perhaps the return of River Song?
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

WhiteCrow Guest

It'll be a younger companion - the only question is how young.

"Why don't you come into my TARDIS little girl, I've got a Jelly Baby for you!"

Charlie says no!

Perhaps the return of River Song?
    I'm wondering whether we're supposed to assume that River recognised the tenth Doctor, or just (somehow) the Doctor, irrespective of his appearance.

Persoanlly I'd be happy if River Song and Sally Sparrrow were never mentioned again. Some stories are best left untold! And some characters aren't that much cop in the first place

IMO.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Persoanlly I'd be happy if River Song and Sally Sparrrow were never mentioned again.
    I think those characters stories were complete.

However I really kind of hoped that maybe some characters do get reintroduced again. I quite like the idea of the Doctor meeting up with someone like Jamie, the boy out of the Empty Child later on in his life. But that kind of threading a character as they grow up has been done in the Girl in the Fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Persoanlly I'd be happy if River Song and Sally Sparrrow were never mentioned again. Some stories are best left untold! And some characters aren't that much cop in the first place
    THANK YOU! lol

Hmm, i don't think the little girl companion would be such a bad idea actually. It'd have a big brother/little sister kind of chemistry feel. Which i don't mind, i can relate.

Hmm, now that's a good idea, having an older companion, and they could quite easily go for a sexy older woman to accompany Matt Smith - Sarah Parish, perhaps...?

Lisa Bowerman as Bernice Summerfield?
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

It's a possibility, but they could just as easily have someone in their early twenties accompanying him. Still a few years younger than Matt Smith, while also being a similar age to the likes of Victoria, Zoe, Jo, Nyssa and Peri when they started out.

I hope they go for an alien companion. That'd be good and I think it'd work well.

I hope it's a male companion, just because the stream of female ones is getting predictable and samey. Someone older would also be good. Almost a reversal of the Troughton/Hines roles. It would also be good to have a companion from another time period or another planet.