Thread: Clothing 11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clothing 11

What's he going to wear? Any ideas? A hat? A cap? Cord trousers and a tweed jacket (my favourite idea).

Let's have some guesses.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

He'd need a flat cap to go with that outfit and a hunting dog!

I think a light coating of jelly with two strategically placed sprigs of parsely would be a fairly suprising choice.

Or failing that an all tin-foil outfit, in which he can spend his time complaining that "they" are monitoring his thoughts.
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

Question mark pulley. That'd teach the fans!

Si.

How about a Australian Bush hat & a wax riding long coat?
    Last edited by Dirk Gently; 4th Jan 2009 at 9:51 PM.

WhiteCrow Guest

Having seen the clip of him in Ruby In The Smoke, that kind of look would be perfect, without the hat though. Something Victorian.

I hope it's nothing too contemporary. I didn't like Chris Ecclestones look too much.

It works best if the look is of "some other era". Nothing too wild unlike Colin B. Smart, but feels like it belongs in another timeframe.

I think it should be a sort of 60's Cambridge Uni student look. Not dissimiliar to some aspects of my Doctor's costume. He should wear brown cords, slightly flared with brown loafer style suede shoes. A patterned shirt of some sort. A tank top exactly the same as the PS Doctor's one. A Cambridge or similar style uni scarf and a very traditional British duffle coat. A bit like Paddington Bear's.
    (Apologies to anyone on facebook who may have already read that)

He could always be "ironic" and wear a Dalek Tshirt with a nice TARDIS tie. Or is that too self-referential?
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

I'm not sure how essential it is to have a definitive 'look' nowadays - if it was me, I'd put him in a pair of smart practical trousers & shoes; and then when he's in the TARDIS top it off with just a shirt, not scruffy as such, but perhaps sometimes untucked, with the top button always undone. And then a good pockety jacket (obviously I mean frock coat, but don't want to say it) which he'd shrug on whenever he's going outside.

I'm assuming the hair, which Mr M loved so much, is staying, so the untucky shirt kind of fits the floppy hair, the sense of somebody who isn't that hung up on his appearance. And assuming it is staying, I can't see that he could have a hat to go with it. It would be nice for him to have specs a la Davison, but since Tennant's already done that I can't see them going for that.

He looked good in 70's garb in In Bruges. But i think a tweed sort of 1930's look hasn't been done before for the Doctor- that might work well on him.

I like Paul's idea.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Hmm, or maybe a bit like a sea captain. White and navy blue, with a toggle coat. Cos' i don't see brown going too well with him- brown went well with Tennant cos' he's the only Doctor who had brown eyes.

...or maybe a bit like a sea captain. White and navy blue, with a toggle coat.
    I don't like the idea of a uniform look & I don't think it'll go that way.

Dave Lewis Guest

How about sports casual?

Pip Madeley Guest

The underpant lining would surely perish after thirteen episodes.

Dave Lewis Guest

Perhaps this would lead to amusing occurrences during each episode where, at moments of high tension, Doctor Who would make an unfortunate revelation:

"Rose, I must warn you before we go and defeat the Dalek Emperor that I've popped out again."

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I think it should be a sort of 60's Cambridge Uni student look.
    I'm sorry, but if the Doctor turns into yet another public-school type, sneering elitely educated character, I'm going to stop watching on principle. Really we have enough of that kind of crap on TV as it is.

Fortunately I have faith in Stevie Moffat not to do that.

On the contrary, I think Paul's nailed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    How about sports casual?

"Brigadier, the boys are back in the barracks."

I'm sorry, but if the Doctor turns into yet another public-school type, sneering elitely educated character, I'm going to stop watching on principle. Really we have enough of that kind of crap on TV as it is.
    He won't be like that though. Was Peter Davison like that? His costume was based on a Brideshead Revisited look. There were plenty of guys educated at Cambridge and Oxford in the 60's who whilst had privileged backgrounds (or not in some cases) were incredibly anti establishment. I'm thinking mainly of comedians, Peter Cook and the Pythons etc.

So you're wrong!

And just to say

I like Paul's idea.
    On the contrary, I think Paul's nailed it
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrow View Post
    I'm sorry, but if the Doctor turns into yet another public-school type, sneering elitely educated character, I'm going to stop watching on principle.
    Having had a public school education myself, I'm actually slightly offended at the sweeping generalisation made about anyone who had that sort of education...

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

WhiteCrow Guest

I still think it's a bad costume idea!

And Ant - my dad was educated at public school. But I was commenting on that kind of "character". I dispise the idea of the Doctor turning into some abhorant "young Inspector Morse".

Although with Inspector Morse, they never felt the need to "sex up" his companions (shudders).
    Last edited by WhiteCrow; 5th Jan 2009 at 11:42 AM.

Either an old fashioned Binman jacket with the orange reflective strip on the back.

Or some Army & Navy Stores offcuts?

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cloud (Slight Return) View Post
    Either an old fashioned Binman jacket with the orange reflective strip on the back.
    Now that I like!

Kind of like an intergalactic flying picket - which is essentially what he is!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cloud (Slight Return) View Post
    Or some Army & Navy Stores offcuts?
    But the Doctor is inheritently anti-military unless he's Jon Pertwee.

But I was commenting on that kind of "character". I despite the idea of the Doctor turning into some abhorant "young Inspector Morse".
    Why would the type of outfit I suggested make him "that kind of character"? I'm genuinely baflled. Could he not wear it and be the Doctor we know?

A donkey jacket? No way! Sorry but that'd be terrible.