Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

That exists on colour 625-line PAL videotape so they can wheel that one out anytime without much fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    didn't one of the episodes on the planet of the daleks vhs release have that awful Australian version of the theme tune on it. if so I hope they replace it with the proper one.
    I believe it was Episode 5.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

I've always liked "Frontier". I think it's aged quite well. Apart from the flares. "Planet" is as has been said before Terry Nation's "Greatest Hits" but it's a bit of cheapo Poundland version.

I do think calling it "Dalek War" makes it sound a bit more exciting than it is. Afterall we never see the war. They should have called it "The Space War" as a tribute to the novel or "Destination: Daleks" as a tribute to the working title.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shada pavlova View Post
    I believe it was Episode 5.
    Of Frontier In Space, not Planet of the Daleks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    That exists on colour 625-line PAL videotape so they can wheel that one out anytime without much fuss.

if that's the case it then makes it more suprising that non of the Pertwee, Dalek stories have been released so far you'd of thought at the very least Death to the Daleks could of been released by now.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    if that's the case it then makes it more suprising that non of the Pertwee, Dalek stories have been released so far you'd of thought at the very least Death to the Daleks could of been released by now.
    For my money I'd rather they released rarer stories (articularly those that need restoration) and left 'Day' and 'Death' till last.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    There's some stills of the 'raw' processed' Planet Part Three here:

http://www.rtforum.co.uk/read.php?id=248079

Even they look amazing!
    Wow! Those stills look VERY convincing - you can't tell it apart from the real thing!

Hopefully this wil improve 2E's standing with some parts of fandom - people have been very quick to condemn various past authoring errors, but on this occasion I think praise is due for them investing in improving & restoring material. Let's face it, they could have released PotDaleks with a black & white part 3 and it would still have sold about the same. But they've gone the extra mile and hopefully the results will be worth it. Good on them I say!

Pip Madeley Guest

Steve Roberts has uploaded comparison images:

http://www.purpleville.pwp.blueyonde...otD1-large.jpg

http://www.purpleville.pwp.blueyonde...otD2-large.jpg

http://www.purpleville.pwp.blueyonde...otD3-large.jpg

(left to right) Legend colourisation, recovered colour from film print, final mix between the two

You can see what he was saying about the Legend version being rather "flat" - not a bad effort of course, but the second example in particular is proof that colourising from scratch can never prove accurate (they never guessed the red light from above). The final mix between the two gives a very impressive result, despite a few inaccuracies.

It's very impressive how they've been able to merge the two processes to creat something marvellous. Again, I'm quite amazed at how much effort goes into making old Doctor Who look so good. Once they'd coloured the episode there was no need for them to go and use the chroma-dot process too, but they went that extra mile to make it look as accurate as they possibly could. How lucky are we?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I wonder if there were a few "Gaaaaaaahs!" when this process was made viable given they'd just paid to recolourise it.

I think the Legend one alone looks great! It's exciting as it sort of proves that there's now no reason we should get ANY Pertwee episodes ever released in black and white on DVD.

That said, I am sceptical to Steve Roberts claim that we won't be able to distinguish it from videotape. I bet we will! Not being negative, it's going to be superb but I'll be surprised if it's indistinguishable. That truly would be an amazing acomplishment.

Si.

He said "most people" would find it hard to tell the difference.

Even better news, it appears that after posting these grabs, it's prompted them to give it one further final 'grade', to make it even better!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

The only shame is that there's nothing really new in the episode apart from perhaps the ice tunnel that isn't seen elsewhere in the story and therefore we've already seen in colour.

"Mind of Evil" or "Dinos 1" will be more exciting not that I'm not as moist as a well prepared sponge cake anyway.

I'm more of a sherry trifle now.

What, alcohol-soaked and dripping with cream?

Si.

Usually.

The mind boggles!

It's been a long long wait since "War Machines" to get back to something decent on DVD

This could be interesting, a question from the RT forum....

Jay Demetrick
    Re: Frontier In Space - 2 Questions
    Fri Jan 09 2009 18:26:02

Maybe more of a question for MArk but has the Delaware version been remastered and featured on the DVD at all? I know it appears on the Carnival of Monsters DVD, but it seemed like a fairly straight forward transfer. Just wondering if he polished it up a bit or did a funky 5.1 mix on it or something.
    To which Steve Roberts responds.....

No, it doesn't. Well, not currently... but as I've still yet to hand over the extras, I suppose it could!
    Cool.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Oh my!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Controversy.

Zeta Minor are listing its release date as 28 December:

As has been suggested for quite some time now. Great news if true, it should mean most people (who pre-order it) will have it in time to watch at Christmas.

Somewhere on this planet there are TEN THOUSAND Daleks!

Get Jane Howe for an event!

Si.