Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Dalek War: Frontier In Space / Planet of The Daleks DVD

With a DVD release confirmed for later this year, I thought I'd better start a thread!

Recolurised Part 3 wooo!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

Frontier In Space isn't up to much.

Planet of the Daleks is probably one of the better Pertwee Dalek stories.

Yay I bet it will look fab, I've never seen Planet of The Daleks so this is one DVD release I'm definitely looking forward to
    'Steed is one of my most valuable subjects he's too valuable to lose'

Wrong on both counts Mike, IMO of course!

Frontier is a fine if a little overlong and has a great performance by Delgado, whereas Planet, IMO, is dire and one of the worst and most boring Doctor Who stories ever. I much prefer Day and Death, but then i didn't see Planet when I was 8, which seems to help you love it apparently.

Si xx

WhiteCrow Guest

Oh I'll agree Frontier has Delgado at his very best! [The is because of our "what happens next" competition ...]

But it's still a huge dissapointment of a story, because it really is just a long introduction into the Planet of the Daleks.

I find Planet of the Daleks is a generally well done story for the era. But I agree Day and Death generally have cleverer storylines with bigger concepts.

Pip Madeley Guest

When and where was it confirmed? It's great news, a recolourised part three is reason enough for me to buy this on the day

It's confirmed in the latest DWM Pip.

Si xx

I've only seen Planet once about 15 years ago so it'll be like watching it anew for me. And the colourised part 3 is very exciting!

Frontier is a great story on paper but poorly executed in a lot of respects. Plus it now looks atrociously dated - it's the old 'trying to predict the future when designing sc-fi' problem, plus a shoestring budget as usual.

All in all a good set, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post

Frontier is a fine if a little overlong and has a great performance by Delgado, whereas Planet, IMO, is dire and one of the worst and most boring Doctor Who stories ever.
    Si xx
    would it suprise you Si, if I told you I was of the opposite opinion

As I think has already been mentioned before Frontier, is just 6 episods of The Doctor & Jo, being caught locked up escaping and being recaputerd to be locked up and escape again. The only thing that makes it a half watchable story is Delgado's fantastic performance take that out and Frontier, would IMO be the worst pertwee story.

As I think has already been mentioned before Frontier, is just 6 episods of The Doctor & Jo, being caught locked up escaping and being recaputerd to be locked up and escape again
    And Planet of the Daleks isn't?

Si xx

There's something special about "Frontier" - it has a Blakes 7 esque atmosphere and scope that no other Doctor Who story can complete with. It has it's own entire WORLD filled with cargo ships, spaceways, Earth governments, space hijacks... it's all so EXCITING. Who cares if the story doesn't go anywhere? That's why it's a space OPERA. It's ongoing. So you'd tune in and be thrilled for six weeks.

What's frustrating is the way "Planet" abandons all this promise, as if Terry Nation hasn't even READ the story he was following. Imagine a "Planet of the Daleks" which shared some of "Frontier's" filming allocation, contained Delgado and featured the human/Draconian crew crash landing on Spiridon and properly uncovering the cause of the space war... it'd be great.

So you see, "Frontier" is half of the greatest Doctor Who story of all time. It's not it's fault that Terry Nation couldn't be bothered to write the other half.

Si.

Steve Roberts has put up the article about the 'Dalek War' boxset here.....

http://www.purpleville.pwp.blueyonde...alekWarDVD.htm

“If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Amazing stuff - we really are lucky aren't we?

Blimey! That sounds like they've put a great deal of time and effort to bring this episode back to life in the way it was meant to be seen. As Ant says we really are very lucky. I can't imagine there are very many other shows that would be treated like this.

Si xx

I'm sure Ian Levine could have come up with something better......
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

didn't one of the episodes on the planet of the daleks vhs release have that awful Australian version of the theme tune on it. if so I hope they replace it with the proper one.

Frontier In Space has the greatest sleeping bag monster of all time and this alone makes it's dvd release a must buy

Well it's fantastic news isn't it. It's been rumoured for long enough and now proven as fact.
    I certainly can't wait to see this one, and even though Frontier is a little overlong I still love it. As for Planet part three, it'll be the first time I'll have ever seen it in colour. I really can't wait.
    Hopefully this will lead to other stories being colourised, eventually leading to the whole of the Pertwee era restored to its former glory.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    didn't one of the episodes on the planet of the daleks vhs release have that awful Australian version of the theme tune on it. if so I hope they replace it with the proper one.
    One of the episodes of Frontier certainly did- I have "interesting" memories of watching the story for the first time late on a Friday night after a few refreshments and somehow deep down thinking "that isn't right...".

Wayne and Ralph will need new pants.

There's some stills of the 'raw' processed' Planet Part Three here:

http://www.rtforum.co.uk/read.php?id=248079

Even they look amazing!

I was only going to add the link above.

Huzzah! I've been wanting this one for ages. I enjoy Frontier, as long as I don't sit through it all at once. I haven't seen Planet for years, but I recall finding it very dull up until the last episode. I look forward to seeing it again though.

Pip Madeley Guest

That article is a great read and really sums up how talented these people are. Can't believe they've been quietly recolourising since 2006 though, did Ian Levine know? From the raw pics and Steve's article I can't wait to see what the end result looks like.

I suppose the one downer about this release it will mean no Day of the Daleks for at leat another year...