Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favourite New Series Moments

Ah, those magic moments of Doctor Who! The New Series has had them all, moments that make you laugh (in a good way), jump off the sofa (in a good way), hide behind the sofa (IAGW) and cry. In a good way!

There have been the stunning season climaxes, building year on year to more shocking and thrilling revelations; the character moments in the one-part stories that have surpassed expectations; and the bit where K-9 blasts the Krillitanes in School Reunion.

Awesome!

So what are your favourite moments in the new series of Doctor Who?

(The inverse of this thread will be up shortly...)
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The pre-titles scenes of The Stolen Earth were just amazing, in my book.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

- The confrontation between Rose and Sarah Jane in "School Reunion", which is as camp as it hilarious:
    "Robot Mummies!"
    "Slitheen..... IN DAAAAWNIN' STREET!"
    When they end up laughing you can't help but laugh too!
    - All the children re-appearing in "Fear Her". Yes I KNOW everyone hates it, and I can't explain why, but for some reason that just warms my heart. The Doctor has saved all the children! And everyone cheers! It's just lovely!
    - The bit with the old policeman in "Blink" where he knows he's about to die. "These are old man's hands... how did that happen?"
    - The Slitheen Cruiser flying over London and sounding it's horn (it DOES!) as it goes by!
    - The return of the Macra. Just because they dared to do it!
    - Sarah-Jane and Davros having a catch-up in "The Stolen Earth". Sublime and such a very, very good idea!
    - The end of "Girl In The Fireplace" when the Doctor steps through the fireplace and Renet is suddenly dead. It's what a time travel series SHOULD be doing.
    - The Doctor's dinner with Margaret in "Boom Town", a lovely underated story full of genuinely funny moments (the teleport chase is another one)

Si.

I get the feeling this is a thread we'll keep coming back to, but here's a few for starters:

-The empty police box in Father's Day. Not my favourite story, and as I concept I think I should hate the idea and I'm not sure it makes sense in any way. But the way it breaks the tension and the fact I completely didn't expect it gave me a real jolt at the time.

-The Doctor Dances - Everybody lives! I think it's a love/hate moment, but as it's 'just this once', it felt like a really fresh and clever happy ending to a great couple of episodes. Doesn't really work a second time though!

-Sarah Jane finding the TARDIS in School Reunion. I love the way this was directed; how you get her view of the TARDIS then the Doctor comes into shot in that magical yet almost menacing kind of way.

-The Doctor and Rose leaning on either side of the wall in Doomsday. Not so much the image, but how the music becomes so distorted and intrusive it nearly hurts your head. It's exactly the feeling I get when I feel a great loss; confusion, lack of focus, pain.

-Davros recognising Sarah Jane last series. The kind of touch that was totally unnecessary yet so completely necessary it's unbelievable!

-Martha realising that the Doctor never thought about falling in love in Human Nature. For one thing it kicked her out of the lovesick puppy mode, and for another it's exactly what the Doctor wouldn't think about. Great stuff.

- Sarah Jane hearing the voice of the Dalek for the first time in The Stolen Earth.
    - The appearance of the Dalek at the end of Army Of Ghosts (Am i turning into Wayne here?)
    - The empty TARDIS.
    -Victor Mildew turning into a gasmask.
    - "Go to your rooms!"

There may be more.

Wayne Guest

THEY SURVIVED THROUGH ME

Just a few:

-The London Eye scene in "Rose" - makes me laugh every time
    -"Lots of planets have a North"
    -"He was just a silly tin dog" (or whatever the line is) when Sarah & the Doctor share their sorrow at the loss of K9. Heartbreaking every time.
    -The 'butterfly' exchange in "The Shakespeare Code"

I'll come back and edit this post as I think of more, but to kick off did Dr Who in 2007 get any better than Professor Yana opening the watch?

And I also love the tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap on the table by a gasmasked John Saxon after gassing his cabient.

And the hymn singing was the only good bit about Gridlock.

And from Chris? Him completley crapping himself when he realises he's been locked in with a Dalek and then becoming as sadistic as Davros when he realises it can't kill him.

The end of planet Earth on The End Of The World.

The bit in Rose at the resturant where Auton Mickey keeps asking about the Doctor and the way it hits home "No really, THIS is Doctor Who you are once again watching!"

The ending of the Weakest Link scene.

Scooti's death.

Donna's two children in the park.

Basically everything from Midnight.(EDIT)

and finally, the weeping Cyberman (is it Jackie?) after the inhibitor code has been downloaded.

Phew! I have no reason to even offer slight nit picks over this show do I?

The pre-credit sequences to The Long Game ("He's your boyfriend") and Bad Wolf ("You have got to be kidding me") and for that matter, TGITFireplace ("Doctor, it is time!").

The whole "He's gay & she's an alien" scene in Rose.

The goodbye scene in The Unquiet Dead.

Ditto, the last scene in World War Three.

I love the Doctor and Sarah Jane meeting in the staff room for the first time in School Reunion. The music, the acting and the direction are spot on and I love the Doctor's rather shell shocked reactions to it all. Great stuff. That's possibly my favourite moment of all.

Also well loved are the cliffhanger to Bad Wolf which is astonishningly good, and indeed from the same episode the well directed bit when the Doctor thinks Rose has died, where the sound and pictures match the Doctor's feelings- all bleached out.

I also like the final scene between the Doctor and Joan in The Family of Blood a great deal. Very powerful and extremely well acted.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

there really are far far to many to mention but a few of mine are
    and just from the first two series

series 1

the last 5 to 10 minutes of End of the World.

The confrontation between the Doctor and the Dalek, in the cell.

realising he has to die Pete, saying goodbye to Rose, - still brings a tear to the eye.

The Doctor's "Rose I'm coming to get you" speech in Bad Wolf - A real punch the air moment.

The Doctors hologram turning to Rose and saying "Have a Fantastic Life"
    + the regeneration.

series 2

Sarah backing away from the TARDIS, only to turn around to see the Doctor standing behind her.

Mickey's "the misses and the ex welcome to every mans worst nightmare" - real LOL stuff

"goodbye my Sarah Jane"

last 5 minutes of Girl the fireplace

The Daleks emerging from the void ship.

the wonderfully haunting music at the end of doomsday......

Didn't you like anything after "Doomsday" then Larry?

Si.

'What did you do that for?! It was scared! It was scared...' Never expected the shooting of an animatronic pig to have such an effect.

The reveal of the Dalek in the episode of the same name. The darkness, the single blue light, and then the voice... 'Doc...torrr?' And then one little touch that makes the scene: the Dalek looks down at its useless gun when it realises it isn't working. Love that.

'I am your mummy. I will always be your mummy. I'm so sorry.' Just beautiful.

The cliffhanger to Bad Wolf. One of the best in the whole series ever.

Rose and Sarah laughing at the Doctor, and his 'what? Stop it!' reaction when he comes in.

'Why am I cold?' One of two reminders that cybermen are often cyberwomen too.

The Daleks emerge from the sphere. Built up slowly, from the Cyberleader explaining that the sphere is not theirs, the music changing gradually to the Dalek choir theme, and Mickey's realisation that he was wrong about what was in the sphere, and then there they are!

More later!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Didn't you like anything after "Doomsday" then Larry?

Si.

oh I must certainly do but because there is so much I do like I thought i'd do it in 2 halves..

series 3

Judoon marching across the moon.

Gridlock - The Doctor describing Galifrey to martha.

Harry LLoyd.

The boys shooting down the Scare crows - a poignant moment.

"he's fire and ice"

John Smith seeing his possible future.

The Doctor and Jack's heart to heart talk

"I Am The Master"

Seeing Galifrey.

series 4

Donna and The Doctor, miming to each other across the room.

The return of UNIT and the Sontarons.

The Doctor being poisoned and drinking every thing he could get his hands on.

Davros.

Sarah Jane.

Davros revealing him self to The Doctor.

The Doctor having to wipe Donna's mind to save her.

oh and Bernard Cribbins

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    'I am your mummy. I will always be your mummy. I'm so sorry.' Just beautiful.

'Why am I cold?' One of two reminders that cybermen are often cyberwomen too.

!

forgot to mention these two - I thoroughly agree that they were two very touchin moments.

Finally finding out that the Brigadier had been knighted for his efforts.

Having seen The old Curiosity Shop over Christmas, I can appreciate the Doctor's comments about the death of Little Nell.

The telephone in the TARDIS in The Empty Child.

Part 2:

The TARDIS chasing the taxi down the motorway.

'Your race is weak, you shelter from the dark. Yet, you have built all this.' A rare moment of a Dalek expressing grudging admiration for humanity and being just a bit more than an armoured killing machine.

Tennant's whole performance as John Smith in The Family Of Blood.

'It's the same rain'.

The last five minutes of Utopia.

The moment when, after an episode and a half of the Doctor telling them they're useless military idiots, UNIT comes through with the Valiant and shows him and the Sontarans exactly what a bunch of p*ssed-off humans can do.

Everyone's reaction to hearing 'Exterminate!' from the approaching spaceships.

Julian Bleach's Davros.

'Jackie, no. No, you just stand over there.'

Everyone in the TARDIS towing the Earth home.

WhiteCrow Guest

Where do you even start?

It's easy to pick out moments you don't like. But most of it had been so good.

* Donna Noble - the best companion ever, expertly portrayed by Catherine Tate
    * David Tennant - possibly the best Doctor of all time, certainly one of the best
    * The return of the Cybermen
    * K9
    * "Are you my mummy"
    * The chase on the motorway in Runaway Bride
    * Big Ben gets smashed - at last alien destruction with a UK flavour
    * The end of Doomsday
    * "Don't turn around". Pant wetting time.
    * Julian Bleech as Davros
    * "I ... am ... the Master!" Jacob rocks.
    * How do you pick out anything particular with the riff of good stuff in Human Nature/Family of Blood? But the ending has to rate as something slightly uncomfortable (in a good way)
    * Blink - scares galore

Pip Madeley Guest

I'll be here all night, so I'm just going to say three for now:

- the last 10 minutes of Utopia (the music, the acting, the surprise, totally electric)
    - the TARDIS motorway chase in The Runaway Bride (thanks RTD)
    - the last 10 minutes of The Family of Blood (John Smith realising he's going to die is one of Tennant's finest moments, followed by the great montage of the Doctor dealing with the Family)

My favourite moments include, but certainly aren't limited to -

Series 1

The Empty Child - Rose hanging from the balloon
    - "Are you my Mummy?"

Series 2

New Earth - The Doctor possessed by Cassandra

School Reunion - The Doctor meets Sarah Jane

Love and Monsters - Elton remembers his mothers's death.

Doomsday - The Doctor and Rose on different "sides" of the same wall.

Series 3

Gridlock - The Doctor decends through the cars

Human Nature/Family of Blood - "He's like fire and ice..."
    - The Doctor's "revenge"
    - Joan's final scene

Blink - "It's the same rain."

Utopia - The Master revealed

Series 4

The Fires of Pompeii - Donna begs the Doctor to "save someone, just someone."

Planet of the Ood - Donna hears the Ood's song of captivity

The Unicorn and the Wasp - The detox scene

Midnight - The passengers try to evict the Doctor

Turn Left - The Noble's feel the explosion over London seconds after seeing it on TV.
    - Wilf's "Labour camps. That's what they called it last time. It's happening again."
    - The reveal of the town covered in "Bad Wolf"

The Stolen Earth - The Doctor sees Rose again
    - And the Dalek that, quite rightly, puts an end to all the soppiness.
    - The regeneration

Journey's End - Donna begs the Doctor not to take her memories
    - Wilf's promise to the Doctor (Bernard Cribbins absolutely MUST get a nod at the BAFTA's. He knocks DT and CT off the screen and that is no mean feat.)

now I know Boomtown, is not every bodies favourite cup of tee but I like it and love the part where Margaret slitheen is trying to run away from the Doctor by trying to transmat only to be zapped back.

also there is a a thought provoking discussion between in the restaraunt between The Doctor and Margaret on capital punishment which IMO was very well done.

For me, the pre-titles sequence to The Unquiet Dead from series 1, the Daleks emerging from the genesis Ark in seres 2, "I AM THE MASTER!" from series 3 and the regeneration at the end of The Stolen Earth from series 4.

If I had to name just one stand out moment, it has to be "I AM THE MASTER" from series 3. Dereck Jacobi was just brilliant in the role and he should have been The Master permenantly.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

If I had to name just one stand out moment, it has to be "I AM THE MASTER" from series 3. Dereck Jacobi was just brilliant in the role and he should have been The Master permenantly.
    In a way Derek Jacobi was almost wasted - he was astounding in the transformation, but how great would it have been to have a bit more of his evil side?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The last 10 minutes of Utopia undoubtably is the height on Nu-Who for me.

Did I mention the Big Ben strike in Aliens of London? Simply one of my favourite FX shots of the new series. It's not flash or too CGI like the Cyberking or the Daleks in their season finales. It's a wonderfully effective model shot and, too me, looks far more 'real'. Like somebody crashing a spaceship into Big Ben!

It's a great moment in the episode too, where the family drama of the first 10 minutes is exploded into inescapable sci-fi madness. The aliens have arrived!

For extra value, watch it with the subtitles on.