Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Morrissey New Best Of

Just seen the new video on 4, anyone catch it?

Impressions:

- Good song! Not an all-time classic by any means, and in truth it sounds like a hundred other Morrissey songs, but I'm still humming it. To be honest, it's a blessed relief after "That's When People Grow Up"

- I think he's developed a lisp! Disaster! The vocal performance made me feel very uncomfortable. It's like an old man battling with some new false teeth. Please listen and tell me I imagined it

- Cheap old video for a first single. It's very much like Sabrina's "All Of Me", except without the rollerskates. Or Sabrina, obviously.

Si.

Dave Lewis Guest

The great thing about Morrissey - and this has been true since 1982 - is that you can tell by the title whether the song is shit or not...

He's had a bit of a lisp for years, hasn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Just seen the new video on 4, anyone catch it?
    I was out so recorded it on Sky+, only to find out today that the Sky+ is asking me to enter my PIN number to watch it!? Don't know what my PIN is, and can't be arsed to find it....

What's happened to that new song he performed on Later With Jools.....?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

No idea about that. Or V+ has a default pin of 0000 which annoyingly we still have to enter whenever we want to watch anything taped after 9pm. You could try that, just on the offchance?

Si.

I think I tried '1234', maybe i'll give that a go, cheers Si.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I still haven't heard the new song, but noticed that the cheapskate has included both the "new" tracks from the Greatest Hits on the new album. For shame.

They're both on there? That's poor. And odd, only two albums ago he had enough songs for a whole extra CD of b-sides, and it's not like either of the new songs on the last GH were huge hits.

I've pre-ordered the album, so let's hope it's not a stinker.

Si.

Grandad goes nude on the single sleeve!

Si.

I've pre-ordered the album, so let's hope it's not a stinker.

Si.
    Well the album has leaked and from what people have heard of it...er...

Did anyone catch the Moz on last night's 'The One Show'? Classic tv, I never thought I'd see him on such a show.

I listened to the album in full this morning and have been trying to decide my opinions. In summary, it's not great.

It's a bit of a cheek including the two new songs from last year compilation, but in truth they fit right in - it's loud, clattering rock with quite slight melodies and not much in the way of wit. It isn't a TOTAL disaster, I'm sure some of the songs will grow in the way that other recent ones have, but none of the songs are instant classics and few sound like you will ever love them after hearing them more. When I think of good recent work, like the tender arrangement of "Dear God, Please Help Me" or lyrics like "Slack jawed pop stars/thicker than pig shit/nothing to convey" or "You have never been in love/until you've seen the dawn rise/over a home for the blind" there is nothing like that here. Bizarrely, like so many times in the past, he seems to think the band are the most important people here, putting them all over the sleeve. I'm sure they all had a laugh during recording, but they are unsubtle and awful on the record, battering the life out of the songs. There are several fearsome drum solo's. And the lyrics seem to have taken a back seat.

I'm afraid "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" seems like the best song, and that's only ok. There are no ballads. It's less a dissapointment, more the end of a gradual slope from the return of true wit and bile on "Quarry" to the ushering back in of one-gag dull rock that has been in evidence since "Ringleader of the Tormentors".

Maybe I'm being too harsh. I didn't find the songs unpleasant, just slightly unremarkable. "That's How People Grow Up" is the benchmark here.

Si.

Morrissey has said that he does not plan on continuing his music career into his late 50s and 60s.
    Good!

Si.

So he's only got one album left to do then?

I'm afraid "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" seems like the best song
    Oh dear.

Actually I'm probably wrong. I just read a glowing review of it on DS, and I suppose some of the songs showed promise. I think it'll be a grower. All I can say is, I found it a bit tedious this morning.

Si.

I'm still more excited about the forthcoming expanded edition of 'Southpaw Grammar'!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    I'm still more excited about the forthcoming expanded edition of 'Southpaw Grammar'!
    Same! That's such a good record!

I think Steve mentioned this, but here are the full details:

Morrissey will reissue an album from the mid-'90s this spring, complete with bonus tracks and new sleevenotes written by the singer himself.

The updated version of his 1995 album Southpaw Grammar features b-side 'Nobody Loves Us' and new songs 'Honey, You Know Where To Find Me', 'Fantastic Bird', and 'You Should Have Been Nice To Me'.

It will also be packaged in a new sleeve by Anthony Lui together with new song sequencing and be in shops from April 27.

The full tracklisting of the new version of the album is as follows:

'The Boy Racer'

'Do Your Best and Don't Worry'

'Reader Meet Author'

'Honey, You Know Where to Find Me'

'Dagenham Dave'

'Southpaw'

'Best Friend on the Payroll'

'Fantastic Bird'

'The Operation'

'The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils'

'You Should Have Been Nice to Me'

'Nobody Loves Us'
    I haven't actually got this one yet, so I'll be buying it. It seems like a random one to re-issue though - anyone know the logic behind doing so?

Are the new songs "new" or off-cuts from the time? It's actually quite nice to see someone going back and trying to improve an album they finished up less than happy with, as seems to be the motivation here. It's subtly different from simply re-issuing it with a few extra goodies to make some cash.

Si.

It seems like a random one to re-issue though - anyone know the logic behind doing so?
    It's the only one the label (SonyBMG) owns.

As you say, he was never happy with it, but that's ultimately not the reason for a re-issue, as always it's cash. Maladjusted is due around the same time too.....

Are the new songs "new" or off-cuts from the time?
    Not 100% sure, but I think they're from that period (as is the new photo on the cover). IIRC from looking at Morrissey forums, fans have known of the existence of most of these tracks for years, but I think one of them at least is very rare.

I'll be interested to know what you make of Southpaw, Si, as it's a release that has pretty much divided fans over the years, hailed as a masterpiece by some (myself included), and as complete guff from others.

I shall give it a go. I'm glad "Maladjusted" is coming out as well (is that coming out on a different label? Similar extra tracks/rejigging treatment?) as I don't have that one either! I know that album is awful (I've heard) but I've always liked "Alma Matters".

Si.

Alma Matters was a good single, and the album isn't the worst he's done, imo.....(and yes, it was on a different label, Island in the UK, not sure about the rest of the world)

Official press release excerpt on Maladjusted:

‘Maladjusted’

Released in 1997, ‘Maladjusted’ was the follow up to ‘Southpaw Grammar’. Produced by Steve Lillywhite, the album features Morrissey’s most successful single in the decade between ‘Vauxhall and I’ (1994) and ‘You Are The Quarry’. ‘Alma Matters’ reached No.16 in the UK chart and was followed by the equally superb ‘Roy’s Keen’ and ‘Satan Rejected My Soul’. Well received by critics and fans alike, ‘Maladjusted’ merges Morrissey’s ballad craft with the glam-rock of his earlier work.

As with ‘Southpaw Grammar’, Morrissey has been actively involved in re-issuing ‘Maladjusted’. The album includes a new sleeve, b-sides, extensive liner notes by the artist, rare images and a completely different track sequence. This version also contains the controversial ‘Sorrow Will Come In The End’, which was withdrawn from the original British release. The track features Morrissey intoning, rather than singing, over a backing of manic strings and the beat of a judge’s gavel – an obvious reference to The Smith’s bitter royalties dispute.

Tracklisting:
    1. Maladjusted
    2. Ambitious Lovers
    3. Trouble Loves Me
    4. Lost*
    5. He Cried
    6. Alma Matters
    7. Heir Apparent*
    8. Ammunition
    9. The Edges Are No Longer Parallel*
    10. This Is Not Your Country*
    11. Wide To Receive
    12. I Can Have Both*
    13. Now I Am A Was*
    14. Satan Rejected My Soul
    15. Sorrow Will Come In The end

* B sides
    Is this damning with faint praise....?

the album features Morrissey’s most successful single in the decade between ‘Vauxhall and I’ (1994) and ‘You Are The Quarry’.

I'd rather he left the running order alone, but I guess that's one of things mp3 players are for!

Edited to add: Just noticed that press release doesn't include 'Roy's Keen'. Not sure if this is correct, or if the press release (taken from Morrissey forums) is genuine....

Inserting the b-sides mid-album is a little odd.

‘Sorrow Will Come In The End’
    Is it a party starter?

Si.

I got the new cd yesterday (Years Of Refusal), and it sounds just like I imagined. Plodding backing band, with a drum sound that I really tend to hate. Makes it very hard to listen to. Favourite track is the opener, at the moment, the one he played on Jonathan Ross last year.

I just noticed too, that this release is on the Polydor imprint, whereas the hits was on Decca. Is he going for some sort of record () for recording for the most ever record labels? RCA, Island, Decca, Polydor, Parlophone, HMV, Attack (trojan).....

Hilton?

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Just noticed that press release doesn't include 'Roy's Keen'...
    Just over a week to go, and it still looks like it's a no-show.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maladjusted-...9817283&sr=1-9

And it's an absolutely terrible new sleeve image.