Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buried or Cremated? How do you want to go?

That marvellous singer Lorraine Bowen asked:

Would you like to be buried or cremated?
    Mourned or celebrated?
    Please let me know before you go.

So how do you want to go? Let us know why!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

I wouldn't mind being cut up and used for medical science, actually. If my organs could help someone, then so be it. But then again, my body may be knackered by the time I shuffle off.

Pip.

cremated, please.

though they're welcome to take whichever organs they want from me first, except my heart. and i doubt they'd want my liver, anyway

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Burried, and intact none of this nonsense with doctors stealing my insides! And to quote Solon:

"And may death not come upon me unbewailed, but for my friends may i leave behind grief and moaning when i die"

Default Death - the great leveller

I'd rather not go if it's all the same to you.

To quote Vila, "I plan to live forever... or die trying"

Teresa Guest

oooh... Buried methinks...
    can't be doing with the idea of the fire!
    and they are welcome to any of my organs they wish to have!!
    (Although, i mirror Mr William's concerns about the state of my liver as well!!)
    On the other note... i wish to be Celebrated!!

Teresa
    xx

I don't care what happens to me afterwards but I don't want to be old when I die...

Don't get any ideas Andrew

I hope to be old, yet whatever they want to do with whatever organs I have that aren't prosthetic donated to medical research.

Then I want my remains left to do with whatever my loved ones wish to. As far as I'm concernerned I won't care.

Preferably respectful though

Donate what organs are needed, then cremation.

Think I might with the Irish tradition of waiting a few days first though- just to make sure I'm dead!

Trudi G Guest

I'm scared of being burnt, so i wouldn't go for cremation - even though i'd be dead!
    I'd like to be celebrated rather than mourned, i'd like everyone to have a big party in honour of me, and remember all the good times.

I'd like to be sealed in a cryogenic chamber until a cure can be found for death.

I'd like to donate my internal bits and pieces once I've finished with them, but I don't think they take gay organs.

I could volunteer for the Cyber-conversion program!

No, I think a standard funeral in a bio-degradable coffin would be fine. Get my body parts to be eaten by some worms and back into the Great Journey of Life!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I don't care as long as its soon.

Wayne Guest

The corpse is merely an empty shell. Do with it what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    That marvellous singer Lorraine Bowen asked:

Would you like to be buried or cremated?
    Mourned or celebrated?
    Please let me know before you go.

So how do you want to go? Let us know why!

Si xx
    dear me Si, your being a bit morbid..

A great thread to get the forum started ...miserable b******s

Captain Tancredi Guest

I'm not particularly bothered either way, as the one thing that's certain is that I won't be there to worry about it. If I'm still living alone when the time comes, it's entirely possible that there won't be enough left of me for it to be worth doing much with in any case.

On the other hand, it'd be nice to have an overblown Victorian-style funeral with a horse-drawn hearse and make it a condition of my will that my family have to wear full mourning for a year before they get a penny.

My grandma once told my mum that she'd chosen cremation because she didn't want creatures crawling up her nose. Since then the whole family have indicated they'd choose cremation and I'm definitely with them.

I know my songs as well.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Funnily enough, that reminds me of an idea which did occasionally come to me on the old board, because I did have at least some of my songs and readings down at one point. Henry Purcell's 'When I Am Laid In Earth' was one of them, as indeed was a recitation of Dorothy Parker's poem 'Resume' (with an acute accent on the e). I think the trouble is that if you don't really know who you are and haven't really done anything in life, it's difficult to sum that up.

And while I was typing I remembered two more- 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot' was one, and the theme from the Rockford Files was the other- for the curious, it used to be the run-out theme for a certain League One team I'm rather fond of.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    The corpse is merely an empty shell. Do with it what you will.
    That works for me. I'm fine with organ donation, but afterwards I'd like to be toasted so no one has to arse about looking after a grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    I'd like to be toasted so no one has to arse about looking after a grave.
    Thats really quite considerate

My other half tends to her Granddad's plot, it's where his ashes were interred. It's more hassle than a burial plot.

I want to be burried. That way I live on in the surrounding trees and plants.
    Cremation just adds to global warming and I'd rather not be responsible. Also I've so much mercury amalgam in my teeth that amount of localised mercury pollution would be horrible.

I'd also like to have the reading of my will in an old dark house in the woods. My inheritance will be hidden on the grounds somehwere but there's also something nasty lurking in the trees!
    Last edited by Paul Monk; 24th Nov 2006 at 1:57 PM.

As long I'm definitely dead when it happens, I don't mind too much. Think I might have it put in my will that they can only bury/cremate me when the body's started to decompose, just to escape the danger of being buried or burned alive.

when the body's started to decompose
    Some people would say that that has already started with me.
    Last edited by Dirk Gently; 24th Nov 2006 at 4:46 PM.