Default The Long Blondes

The Sheffield indie art rock band are touring the UK in February. I personally can't wait to see them. They've become a breath of fresh air to me, and are the first band I've got genuinely excited about in ages, especially as they have a lot of style and some absolutely great, catchy singles.

Their debut album ("Someone to drive you home") only peaked at no.44 in the UK charts though, despite the music press hype. They deserve to be bigger, and may yet be..."Someone..." was one of my favourite albums of 2006, and I'm not alone. In Kate Jackson they also have a genuinely good front woman. An inspiration!

Anybody bought the album or heard the singles ("Giddy stratospheres" is my favourite)?
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

By the way, did anyone tape "The culture show" from a few weeks back, when Kate and Dorian from The Long Blondes were on? I'm sure something was said about it in the thread on the old PS, but I've forgotten.

Be nice to see it.

This seems to be a thread of me talking to myself But for those who are interested in such things, I went seeing them at Manchester Academy on Sunday night and they were absolutely brilliant!
    Recommended for anyone who likes late '70s, early '80s New wave style guitar pop (Ramones or Blondie are a good comparison, and Kate Jackson's vocals are a bit Debbie Harry or the woman out of The Slits). They also take a lot from the Britpop era (Pulp, and even Kenekie as previously discussed).

I'm slightly amazed they have become so big without becoming big (if that makes sense). Rather like Pulp circa 1993, now I come to think of it. Whether The Long Blondes break through, as Pulp did, remains to be seen.

"Giddy straatospheres" is in the top 40 anyway, and they are soon to support The Kaiser chiefs on their tour.

even Kenekie as previously discussed
    Ha! Finally you admit it!

I'm still liking T'Blondes, I did buy their Once and Never Again single, but haven't got the album yet, once I can leave the house I'm planning too though.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Dave Lewis Guest

Sorry Baynes... only just seen the thread!

Giddy Stratospheres is the best re-issued single of 2007 thus far, and Kate Jackson is far cooler than Beth Ditto.

I tried. I just can't get into them.

Kenickie were great though.
    explodes

Imagine my surprise the other day to see Kate Jackson on the news, to think "oh... that's that girl I used to know at University, what's her name... Kate something I think. What on Earth is she doing on the news?" And then to find out she'd been in an (almost) famous band for about 4 years that's been and gone and I managed not to notice at all. I should pay more attention really I'm still finding it a bit surreal. I remember she dumped my friend in somewhat cruel circumstances, I just can't remember what those circumstances were now...