Default Joseph Barbera dies aged 95

Just mentioned on BBC News.

Joseph Barbera, one half of the team behind such cartoon classics as The Flintstones, Yogi Bear, Scooby-Doo and Huckleberry Hound, has died, aged 95.

He died of natural causes at home with his wife, Sheila, at his side.

With William Hanna, Barbera founded Hanna-Barbera in the 1950s, after the pair had earlier worked on the Tom and Jerry cartoons at MGM studios.

"Joe will live on through his work," said Warner Brothers chairman and CEO, Barry Meyer....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6191999.stm
    He worked on all the classics.

Wayne Guest

Well 95 is not a bad age! I for one pay tribute to this man who along with William Hanna gave the world so much pleasure through their cartoons.
    I have fond memories of everything from Tom & Jerry to The Flintstones to Wacky Races, & loads of others that made me laugh throughout my childhood & beyond.
    Last edited by Wayne; 19th Dec 2006 at 1:18 AM.

I assumed he was already dead.

He was a key figure responsible for the cartonns I loved best when I was a kid, and he was a very talented man who knew exactly what kids what kids wanted to watch.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Trudi G Guest

I think he's touched generations of lives with his cartoons

Default Joseph Barbera RIP

RIP Joseph Barbera

The other half of aniamtion giants Hanna-Barbera is gone.

Btw...how do you get an image on here?!
    Last edited by Carol Baynes; 19th Dec 2006 at 2:15 PM.
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Wayne Guest

There's already a thread for this Carol.

http://planetskaro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=373
    Last edited by Wayne; 19th Dec 2006 at 2:15 PM.

"Thanks".

and "******"

Oh, I can't say that, can I?

I really want ezboard back

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    Oh, I can't say that, can I?
    I'm going to start a 'get rid of the filter' petition.

Btw... the 'insert image' button is 2nd from the right on the bottom row above where your typing.
    The one that looks like an envelope.

Thanks Wayne...

I'm having hassles navigating this forum, but it's probably just me. I don't like the options it throws at you when you try posting a reply.

Wayne Guest

You soon get used to it.
    I just ignore everything except for 'Submit Reply'.

Look! I've merged the threads! (It's my first time and I'm rather excited, ok!)

Hope no-one minds!

Si xx
    Last edited by SiHart; 19th Dec 2006 at 4:14 PM.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I don't want ezboard back!
    Last edited by Carol Baynes; 19th Dec 2006 at 4:18 PM. Reason: being a ****head

Pip Madeley Guest

*lights cigar*

Good work, Hart.

a true leg end who cartoons brought manys hours of fun to chillderen across the world,..

My favourite was Secret squirrel (who's sidekick was called Morrocco Mole no less). He wore a trenchcoat and a hat that went over his eyes (although he did have eye holes). Only a cartoon squirrel could look cool in that.

I was also very fond of Dastardly and Muttley ("catch the pigeon" was the theme tune. I recall they were WWI plane pilots trying to capture an enemy messenger pigeon. For some reason both that and "The perils of Penelope Pitstop" were set in the 1910s (or thereabouts). Pitstop was a homage to "The perils of Pauline" silent film serials...gosh, I'm having flashbacks to that being on a Wednesday about 4.25. "I'll get you, Penelope Pitstop!" cackled The Hooded Claw (who was actually Pitstop's uncle, who was after her riches).
    Both were spin-offs from "Wacky races", which I never liked all that much. There was an Olympics one with Yogi bear's team and Scooby Doo's team as well....Scooby Doo was a big favourite though. My nephew watches all the new ones on the various cable channels, but the re-runs of the late '60s series always makes me smile. Do you remember the title sequence with the hoard of bats flying out of that creepy house and the montage of ghosts and freaks (including that yellow underwater ghost diver thing)?? It used to end with Scooby licking pink ice cream off himself.

And! "Trixy and Dixie"...a sort of cut price "Tom and Jerry". The cat was called Mr. Jinx, and "hated meeces to peeces". Then again there was Toche Turtle with his bent sword, and "Goober and the ghost chasers" (a '70s version of Scooby Doo where the dog could turn invisible). They were all great! Who remembers Dyno-mutt and Blue Falcon? Dyno-Mutt had legs that could extend really far. The most adult was "Wait 'til your father gets home" which was like a precursor to The Simpsons. The next door neighbour in it was a commie fearing xenophobe (so I've been told, but I don't rememember that!) And who can forget the 'mild mannered janitor' who became "Hong Kong Phooey", with his martial arts skills? Although he was actually ****e, and the cat had to rescue the day every time and got really ****ed off because no one ever realised!
    and! And! And! "The New Schmoo". Presumably just like the old Schmoo, and was a white blob who could turn into all manner of things whilst battling villians with his/her/it's human pals.
    Plus how can I not mention "Top cat", which always featured a title sequence of such **** quality that it was a relief when the rest of the cartoon got going and you realised TC was actually bright yellow after all.

They were such a huge part of my '70s and turn of the '80s childhood.

I'll shut up now before I sound like a sad old biddy....but don't doubt how important their cartoons were to us. They don't make them liek this anymore.
    Last edited by Carol Baynes; 19th Dec 2006 at 8:48 PM. Reason: in punishment for watching Ruby Spears and Filmation crap