Default Is it Control Room or Console Room?

This is a particularly geeky question, so if no-one wants to reply I quite understand...

So... is the room with the control console in it the Control Room or the Console room? You see I was trying to work this out the other day (I'm writing TARDIS stuff at the moment for my next PS script). I've always thought of the main room as the Control Room, but I realise it's also been called the console room.

So which do you think it is? When did it change between the two?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'd say control room?
    Is there evidence to the contrary?

I think it's generally referred to as 'the control room' in the Target books, but then from "Castrovalva" on it's referred to on TV as 'the console room' as though that's its official title. Up to that point, I don't really recall ever referring to it by a name.

Was it called anything in "The Masque of Mandragora"?

I think it is referred to by both names but I personally prefer Console Room.
    Any old spaceship can have a control room but the TARDIS has a Console Room.

Was it called anything in "The Masque of Mandragora"?
    Well the wooden version was introduced as "The secondary control room" so by inference, that makes the original the first control room.

There was a discussion about this on the RT not long ago. It was only the JNT era that quietly snuck into lore the name "console room", just like it never had a "time rota" before then (it's actually an extremely fanwanky reference to something that was mentioned years before - in "The Web Planet" or something - and as usual they got it wrong, as on that occasion it didn't even refer to the central column). Those of us that grew up in the eighties just assumed it had always been that way.

But, they, the eighties were a third of the history of the show and it was rarely explicitly referred to by another name before then, so that makes it the "console room" in my eyes.

Si.

But, they, the eighties were a third of the history of the show
    Very true, Si. Sometimes people seem to sort of dismiss anything new brought in during the JN-T era, as if somehow they had less right to make stuff up in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    (it's actually an extremely fanwanky reference to something that was mentioned years before - in "The Web Planet" or something
    I thought it was "The Chase"?
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Well, I call it the console room.

That might have been an eighties 'invention', but then I am a child of the eighties
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

I'm a child of the eighties, also, and I did think of it as the console room for a long time, but now I prefer the control room - it may sound rather antiquated, but it suggests that that's what the room is for, to control the whole ship, rather than just hosuing that funny six-sided flight desk.

I like control room best. I think it's the Target Book factor at work.

I think Console Room is a Bidmeadism- I'm sure you don't hear it before Season 18.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

it's console room because.................err...........because that's what I've always called it!!!

I thought it was "The Chase"?
    You're probably right!

Si.

It seems appropriate that a time machine should have a Secondary Control Room. That's where they control all the seconds from, right?

OK. The main room in the TARDIS typically has four things in it - the scanner, the console, the doors and a hat stand. The controls for the TARDIS are built into the console.

It's not 'The Scanner Room' because the scanner is part of the main control set.
    It's not 'The Doors Room' because Jim Morrison has never been there (ho ho ho).
    Therefore, I can conclusively say that it's called 'The Hat Stand Room'.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's both!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Pip Madeley Guest

The console room for me. Control room doesn't quite sound right, but then I never read the Targets much.

well i've always assumed it has been called the consol room so that's what it is for me.